Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2011 12:00

XPS 14 keyboard issues: numpad missing and function reversal

Hello,

I'm having several issues with my new XPS 14 keyboard.

1) there appears to be no numpad. fn + J,K,L,U,I,O,7,8,9  give me the exact same letters and numbers. Numlock, which for some reason is only available through OSK (on-screen keyboard), also does nothing. I often type in french and spanish so i need to be able to use Alt+numpad to type symbols and accents. Is there a way to activate the numpad? Without this function, this laptop is worth less to me than a pen and paper.

2) initially, the top row of my keyboard were hotkeys instead of F keys (i.e. i have to pres Fn+F key to get the F key functionality). this is nice: I had volume controls, screen brightess, monitor output, wirless card, etc. all at the touch of one button. now, for some reason, my top row has reverted to being F keys, i.e. now i need to hold Fn if i want to use volume controls, screen brightness, etc. I probably inadvertently caused this as i was trying out different permutations of the Fn functions in a vain attempt to find Numlock or a numpad. How can reverse this back to the original setting ?

Thank you for your help...

Lazar

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 14:00

Type Mobility Center in the Start box to access what used to be called Quickset. That will allow you to change the function keys settings. Your manual or another user will have to help you with the other problem.

January 23rd, 2011 20:00

thanks! the function key reversal worked perfectly. I can remember seeing the mobility centre screen at some point while i was trying to solve the other problem. now i know what that function does!

ok, any takers for the other problem? i'll admit, i'm less optimistic about that one. maybe there's a way to circumvent the numpad by assigning shortcut keys for certain characters like in Word? or maybe it's one of the keyboard language options? there's so many of those, surely one of them has a numpad in there? i know i can switch to french and spanish keyboards but then each time i'm working on it blindly, not knowing where the special characters actually are. that's very annoying when you have to write 40-page reports for a living!

1 Message

April 28th, 2013 09:00

Thank you for this. My goal was to use the function keys without having to press the fn key.

No Events found!