Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2015 03:00

XPS 14Z (L412Z) Noisy Fan

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me.  My XPS 14z is approx. 3 years old, and for some time now it has suffered from a noisy fan (I'm pretty sure it wasn't this noisy when new).  As well as being very noisy, as if it's running at full speed, it seems to stay on continuously.  I have opened up the back and have thoroughly cleaned the fan, and managed to removed a lot of fibrous dust from the inside of the air vents.  I thought this might cure the issue, however it has not.

Another issue, which may be related to the fan problem, is that the battery only lasts for around half an hour, but could this be because the fan is running continuously?

I have run the diagnostic tests on the Dell website, and there was nothing of concern reported.

All software is up-to-date, including the BIOS.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to try next, if anyone can help that would be great, thanks!

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum . Noisy system fan issue can be caused by various reasons , dust accumulated in the air vents or on the blades of the fan . Corrupt system bios can cause the same issue since BIOS monitors the rate at which the system fan spins ,hence we ask the users to update system BIOS .

I would suggest you to forward the service tag of the system ( sent via private message ) so that I              can check the warranty details and arrange for service call.

Awaiting your response !

Kind Regards ,

No Events found!