Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2012 06:00

XPS 14Z LCD Screen Replacement

Anyone know where I can find a replacement screen for my xps 14z?  Part LP140WH6 TJA1.  Dell does not have it.  Every 3rd party is out of stock. I have checked every website.  I have contacted every website that claims to have it in stock but really does not.  This laptop is only 1 year old but can't be fixed?  At this point, I would take recommendations for another screen that would fit, even if my webcam has to be removed.

1.1K Posts

November 16th, 2012 22:00

Hi jeff215,

Did you try contacting Dell sales department? If not, go to www.support.dell.com 
Select the country/region from the top, scroll down and click on 'Contact Dell Sales' to get the contact information. 

Please reply for any further questions.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2012 10:00

As i stated, of course I contacted Dell. Item not in stock.

1.8K Posts

November 21st, 2012 21:00

Hi Jeff215,

I am posting on behalf of Dell-Vikram M. In order to assist you in a better way, I would need the service tag of your computer. 

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with information. 

5 Posts

November 28th, 2012 18:00

I haven't received a reply yet.

11 Posts

January 5th, 2013 22:00

Dell does seem to have these now, but wants $299 for them.  That is just crazy!  Keep bugging Dell to lower their prices on the parts.  If they keep playing business like this I will never buy a Dell again.  It almost seems like this particular screen is a proprietary design and therefore no one has these available (maybe because Dell won't let them make them?), at least with the tabs on the bottom for the screws.  There is a similar one with the exact same LP number on ebay, but it's for an LG laptop.  The screw holes won't line up with the 14z.  It's only 176 bucks though, so not as crazy on price.  I'm holding out for one of the 3rd party vendors to get these in stock.  There has to be a huge demand for them.  Also try looking at wholesalers like Alibaba from Hong Kong and China to maybe get one.  Most of them have a minimum order of 3 or more to purchase them.  Good luck.

11 Posts

January 5th, 2013 23:00

Update;  Try Aliexpress..  Much much cheaper than Dell.  I think I'm going to try this route.  Dell, care to comment on your pricing???  Still can't figure out why it can't be 89 bucks like most of the other LCD screens.  There are a lot of other XPS 14z screens selling for this price, but the one for the L412z isn't compatible with these less expensive screens... WHY?

11 Posts

January 6th, 2013 21:00

NBKit.com has the best price for a perfectly matching screen.  I ordered 1 and hopefully it won't take too long.  This is the price Dell should have been charging all along.  

6 Posts

January 15th, 2013 20:00

First of all, I have to say SCREW DELL. Good luck for any customers with this model laptop getting a replacement screen. Better save your $299 and head for a Lenovo or something. It's ridiculous that it costs $299. I would feel a little bit more comfortable paying at LEAST $199 considering I just bought the laptop less than a year ago and have been buying products from Dell for years -- not any more of course.

As a matter of fact, you can just save your $299 and double that on a new XPS 14z i7 8GB DDR3 750GB HDD since people are selling them brand new on eBay for like $700. I'm sure Dell hasn't even considered lowering that price even provided the fact that this laptop has probably flopped in sales. Just ridiculous. Never recommending Dell again as I used to -- that's for sure.

3 Posts

March 20th, 2013 22:00

Here is my 2 cents...not that they seem to care!

I have now gone through five Dell Sales reps and 8.5 hours on the phone with them....no exaggeration. I am a repair shop and charge $100.00 per hour. I have to eat all this time because It is too ridiculous to charge the customer and still be called professional. The Dell reps keep telling me they will return my call in 48 hours after they get appoval on the order. This has been going on for 6 weeks. I got the name and ext. of the last two I have talked to and have been calling them religiously everyday and leaving messages, they do not return the call. I finally escalated to a supervisor and was told they were both out sick for the last ten days and that is why I did not get a call back. When I asked why another employee was not handling their workload while they were gone I was told by the supervisor and I quote " Their phone is not attended until they return and that is why you have not received the service you were promised."

Clearly the work ethic in whatever country Dell has farmed this out to is not one that I have grown up with or have ever even heard of before. Ludicrous is all I can say. I have really been trying to sing the praises of Dell computer to my customers for a long time now but this and numerous other incidents with other dell PC's and servers (all service related, not quality of equipment), not to mention that they don't have parts for a 18 month old laptop when they claim to keep parts for 5 years, really makes me have to rethink recommending Dell to anyone anymore. All pc's work when you get them new, it is the commitment to ongoing service and parts availability that separates the good from the bad and I'm sorry to say that Dell has now moved into the bad category for me. This has happened to many times. The customer service is atrocious and it didn't used to be. This is a new behavior in the last couple of years. The farming out thing has been there for longer than that, but at least they used to try and pretend to care. Now they don't even pretend! I guess I have to move all my customers toward Lenovo for their new purchases and see how they fair. We all complain about buying everything from china, the problem is that when you try as hard as I have to buy American and recommend American and they continually let you down, what else can you do? It's a shame! If a Dell rep reads this you really should do something about the way you treat your customers...loyal or otherwise.

2 Posts

May 9th, 2013 09:00

Hello.  Has anyone found a better source for this screen?  I have a broked screen and can't find anything lower than $225 on ebay and I am not 100% sure that model is correct item.  Plus this LCD screen is very difficult and different from standard laptop LCD repairs and I am not interested in breaking another one so I am looking at $65 to $100 for labor to complete this repair.  So at $325 I am really wondering if it's worth putting that out for a 2 yr old machine. 

In addition I it appears Dell does not have it in stock right now.  The better option is what is on NBKIT.com as it's the lid with the LCD already installed on it.  However that is over $525 plus shipping...totally not worth it for a 2 yr old laptop. 

I am hoping there is a lower cost option available somewhere as it's still a good laptop, but not at $500+

11 Posts

May 9th, 2013 16:00

I purchased the entire assembly on eBay.  I tried a different site (NBKIT.COM) and would not ever ever use them again.  They ripped me off and delayed things just long enough so that Paypal dropped my eligibility to file a claim against them.  I would buy the LCD if you're trying to save a few bucks and give that a whirl.  If it doesn't fit you will be out the return shipping to the seller in HK or China. Mine was $45 to send back.  If you get the assy it's a guaranteed good fit pretty much.  That's why I went that route.  The installation isn't that hard on this screen.  Just take your time taking the rubber frame off (I would start at the bottom on a corner and work your way around.)  Once that's off you have 2 screws at the bottom and a careful disconnect of the screen and webcam (I recommend disconnecting the webcam from the top of the LCD itself to make it easier on yourself.)  Good luck on whatever path you decide on.  I opted to save the laptop from the desktop only mode with external screen.  It's a nice computer, just wish Dell would sell the replacement parts at an affordable price.  I think the LCD or Assy on eBay are worth the price vs. if you were to have to replace the computer and sell the computer for parts.  Just my $0.02.  Good luck!

2 Posts

May 10th, 2013 09:00

Praveen: many thanks for the referral.  I just looked it up and it's certainly the right part based on the part numbers and that is a great price compared to everything else out there.  I just went ahead and ordered it this morning.  Hopefully it will work out well.  I will update this thread when it arrives and installs and is in working condition again so anyone else out there looking for a replacement will know where they can go to get their laptop working again.

3 Posts

May 10th, 2013 16:00

Hi Guys, I checked out the aliexpress.com site and was not very happy with what I found out so beware!  I did however find that Ebay has the screen with buyer protection and of course linked to PayPal, still comming from China but its new I and fell a little better protected.  They have three left now after my purchase so hurry. Here is the link cgi.ebay.com/.../eBayISAPI.dll

1 Message

November 29th, 2013 18:00

Jeff,

Have you solve your problem? My kids broke the screen. After several months waiting, we finally got a refurbished screen from Dell. Now only if I can figure out how to replace it. It did not come with any instruction. Can you please share with me how to replace it if you know? Thanks in advance.

No Events found!