Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 26th, 2012 05:00

XPS 14z Randomly turns off

I purchased an XPS 14z laptop directly from Dell during the summer, I received it in August 2012. Over the last couple of weeks I have begun to experience some problems with it. Occasionally, when the laptop is not plugged in, it will randomly turn itself off. The system does not sut down properly, the laptop simply cuts out. This is very frustrating, especially given how new the machine is.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 26th, 2012 07:00

Hi shanereddy,

I request you to check if you experience any heat when the system turns off.  Please flash BIOS to the latest version by clicking on the link below:

http://dell.to/ZMIwpK

Check if the Battery is draining soon when system is not plugged in. Also check with a known good battery if available.
Also run Diagnostics on Battery by clicking on the link below:

http://dell.to/QhZhXV 

Under ‘Choose a Diagnostic Type’ select ‘Component’, from the  listed components under ‘Make a Selection’  select ‘Battery’ and then click on ‘Run Diagnostics’. Follow on screen instruction to run the test and reply to this post with the status to assist you further

December 26th, 2012 13:00

I have not noticed excessive heat from the machine when this problem has occurred. The problem only occurs when the machine is not plugged in, but it can sometimes happen when the battery level is high. The battery does not drain quickly when the machine is plugged out.

I have ran Diagnostics on the battery and it says that it is normal.

I just downloaded the flash BIOS update so I'm hoping this will help. What benefit does an update like this usually have for this type of problem?

• 

3.3K Posts

December 27th, 2012 14:00

Hi shanereddy,

BIOS is a firmware update which will enhance the performance of the hardware components.

December 27th, 2012 15:00

OK, I am still having this problem despite downoading the update you suggested. The diagnostics said the battery was running normally. Is this a common issue with these machines? I am very unhappy that this is happening because I have only had the product for about 5 months.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 30th, 2012 08:00

Hi shanereddy,

I request you to do this one last step. Please charge the battery with the system turned off. Then check if the system shuts off when it is running only on the battery.

In case the issue persists I request you to send the system service tag to check the warranty status to assist you further

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

December 30th, 2012 16:00

Funny thing.  We've been experiencing this same random issue on both of the Dell laptops we own.  They were both purchased in 2008.  One is an XPS M1530, and the other is an Inspiron 1520.  This started only several weeks ago.  Very strange.  They've been operating since purchased without a hitch, then they both suddenly experience this same problem.  I'm leaning towards a Microsoft issue, but have no way to confirm that.  This is the first I've begun trying to research the cause.

The batteries alwasys seem to have plenty of power remaining.  The system will just completely drop power, not shutdown, not crash.  The whole thing just cuts its power.  No idea how to explain it yet.

• 

3.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 09:00

Hi Knight_of_Zero,  

I would like to know if the system is shutting down when it is running only on battery. In case it is shutting down, I request you to perform all the steps given in the previous post.

Please find the link below to flash BIOS to the latest version:

XPS M1530: http://dell.to/O8ak0I
15250: http://dell.to/QlquH3

Select the appropriate Operating system from the drop down list and then click on BIOS and flash to the latest version.  Do not use the system till restarts and comes up to the desktop. Please have the Ac adapter connected as this needs uninterrupted power supply and the Battery should have minimum of 15% charge.
Please revert for further assistance.

• 

3.3K Posts

January 15th, 2013 09:00

Hi

This customer conversation was taken offline for privacy reasons. The solution to this issue is heat sink and Fan replacement. If you continue to experience issues after attempting these steps, please start a new thread.

No Events found!