Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

8 Posts

December 24th, 2013 06:00

Hi, i have exactly the same problem, it would be fine that someone investigate about the subject

9 Posts

December 29th, 2013 06:00

Me too :-(. This is a very nice machine, but the sound problem makes it hard to become happy with it. Dell, please provide a solution. I cannot advise people to buy one before this problem has been solved. All other components, quality of the machine is state of the art.

9 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 08:00

Other buyers - with brand new machines to - are now also reporting this issue:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/735403-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge-272.html#post9512480

17 Posts

January 6th, 2014 08:00

Dell, please investigate and forward to R&D?

2 Posts

January 27th, 2014 12:00

Same exact problem.

Noise while charger connected and battery is full.

Anyone managed to fix ?

1 Message

January 28th, 2014 08:00

Ground loop maybe?

Did you check the electricity? What I've heard from the uploaded sound I can say that this noise is because your laptop power adapter/charger is not ground looped!

You can check online for hum eliminators

check this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=ktEQVp2Iufk

This video is not mine, but I believe it will help you fix your problems :)

I am expecting my new XPS 15 soon and I hope I won't have the same problem!

Please let me know if any of my options solved your problem

9 Posts

January 31st, 2014 10:00

Does not help (here) ....

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 4th, 2014 15:00

Thank you all for posting. Dell is aware of these symptoms for the 9530 and is investigating them.  From what all of you are saying the noise only seems to happen when you have the AC adapter connected to the system, have any of you noticed this with only battery? Have any of you had the AC adapter replaced and if so did it help or not?

CZ111 mentioned that the screeching sound is coming around the area of the power button, is this something that all of you are seeing?

Thanks SirBlack for the suggestion that this could be a ground loop issue.

I will likely be sending out friend requests to you shortly so that I can get the service tags for the systems. We may also wish to capture a system for testing at the lab.

8 Posts

February 4th, 2014 16:00

In my unit, the sound comes from the power button zone too. When the AC adapter is plugged and battery is at 100% of charge, the sound becomes hardly, but with the adapter disconnected from the laptop, the sound can be heard too.

17 Posts

February 5th, 2014 05:00

Terry,

This is something Dell should have been looking into 3 months ago when user's were reporting this problem direct to Dell. Again Dell should have access to a testing XPS 15 9530 device, all you need to do is get a young employee to put their head to the power button when it is fully charged and plugged into the power supply and then confirm to us that the issue exists. Notice I said young, high frequencies become in-audible due to age, which is probably why a rare few say this does not exist on their system. Those that do have the issue have tried replacing motherboards and the entire system with NO luck.

Dell should be aware of other forums which customers are using, the noise issue has been bought up A LOT:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/735403-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge.html 

Also customers are experiencing the noise on your new xps 13 model http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19500507/20362119.aspx#20362119

To sum up the feelings of everyone, the noise is likely to occur from the CPU operating frequencies. I would suggest to dell to open up the BIOS to allow us to disable certain CPU sleep states. While we are on the topic of BIOS, Dell should also give customers the option to force the XPS 15 to use the NVIDIA 750m card instead of the not-so-good integrated graphics card. Other laptop providers which use NVIDIA OPTIMUS technology already give the option to do this in the BIOS, why should Dell be any different? I want to use the 750m in all scenarios on my laptop.

I look forward to positive feedback from you

4 Posts

February 5th, 2014 07:00

Hi Terry,

Nice to hear Dell is looking in to this.

In my case the noise is only present when plugged with the AC adapted by the way I'm from France so I use it on 220V, here are the details of my adapter (who knows, it might be useful):

Out: 19,5V (continuous current) 6.67A

In: 100-240V (alternative current) 1.8A 50-60Hz

model DA130PM130

CN-06TTY6-48661-3B3-05RL-A00

DP/N 06TTY6

D.

9 Posts

February 5th, 2014 09:00

Hi Terry,

Thanks for taking care regarding this issue.

My XPS is also running in Europe (230v). Te noise is only present when the unit is running on AC and the battery is fully charged. When charging or running on the battery there is no noise at all. I also noticed that the frequency of the noise is changing when my hard-drive is very active (reading/writing - I own the 1TB hdd version). My AC-adapter has not been changed yet/I do not have a valid other one at the moment.

In my opinion it is very difficult to hear if the whining comes directly from the area where the power plug is connected into the laptop or from the area around the power button. I tending to say it is from the power plug connector.

Kind regards and thanks!

23 Posts

February 5th, 2014 15:00

In my two laptops, this happens only when the AC adapter is plugged, and very especially every time I scroll any window. Not changes in the screen, but specifically scrolling. It sounds kind of like and old and noisy hard disk. It sounds like if it was coming from the "F2" key.

1 Message

February 5th, 2014 23:00

Hey Terry,
Yes I'm experiencing the same issues as the other users but my XPS 15 also does this while just on battery(not being charged).  I do have really sensitive hearing, especially to high pitch noises.  I should note that the XPS 15 can be completely quiet while not being charged and that I only sometimes get the high pitch noise while not charging the XPS 15.  If you get in contact with me I could send you a video that I filmed with my phone with the noise while on battery and another video with the charger connected.  I believe it is a grounding issue of some sort.

I also experienced another issue.  The other day when I connected my phone via USB to the XPS 15 it just kept connecting and disconnecting.  It's not a broken cable because I also test multiple other cables at the time.  But the thing is it working fine today.  The only difference right now is that the XPS 15 is charging(not full battery).  I would like you to note that someone on the notebookreview website also experienced this issue.  I could test this more and let you know what I find out but from what I can tell his could also be a grounding issue.

I haven't filled for an RMA because I have been waiting for feedback from other users.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2014 22:00

Terry, I received my Dell 9530 on Jan 28 and noticed this.  I called Dell to report the problem.  They sent me another 9530 which arrived today (Feb 6) and I have the same problem again.  The noise is very annoying.  As reported in this thread, the problem is most noticeable when the computer is plugged into the charger.  When on batter power only, the noise is still there, but much quieter.  Please let us know what Dell intends to do to fix this problem.

Thank you!

Matt

No Events found!