Loyal2Dell
1 Copper

RE: XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

I believe it is the processor chip that produces this crazy coil whine noise, surprisingly. I ran some tests to rule out the SSD and the cooling fans. It turned out that any process that involves the CPU or the included Intel GPU will activate this noise. Even scrolling up or down your webpage is enough GPU load to hear the noise, let alone watching YouTube videos. However, the nVidea GPU makes less of this noise if any

Interestingly, this happens only when the Intel CPU/GPU chip is receiving power directly from the AC adapter. I am in Canada and the voltage here is ~120V so it is not about the original plug voltage. I think there is some sort of incompatibility between the AC adapter and the CPU. I hope Dell will find an easy fix for this problem because this unexpected defect is really ruining my beautiful XPS.

0 Kudos
bekos
1 Copper

Hi guys,

I just want to make a small comment because I see a lot of people saying something like "I hope Dell will find a fix". Guys, Dell is a multi-billion company. It has the resources to find the source of a noisy coil in a single day. Dell KNOWS how to fix the issue, Dell KNOWS exactly what it is causing it. But Dell DOESN'T WANT to admit it because it will then be obliged to replace a respectable amount of hardware. Sorry guys but Dell is just messing with us. 🙂 Now we have to get over it I guess.

WELL DONE DELL! Keep following this strategy. Personally I will never buy a Dell product again unless I there isn't another option.

Thanks

rushmpeg
1 Copper

Ok enough, Bekos please stop your dell free bashing. I'm not taking side but your comment show how little you know about how a world wide company adressing millions of custommers must handle a mass issue. No need to spit your frustration here or make it a personal vendetta. Aim of this thred is to gather info regarding the coil noise that may lead to fix it, so please be productive when you post. 

Regards,

bekos
1 Copper

I am just stating the facts my friend, I am not bashing anyone. If you don't like it... tough luck I guess. Oh and I personally do not mind the coil noise, so the "frustration" you are talking about is non-existent. So... I guess somebody else is frustrated here.. I suggest you start focusing around the problem and stop talking about vendettas, bashing etc.  Relax..

Peace

0 Kudos
Dnimyranib
2 Bronze

I will soon get mine, i spent 2,086.00 Euros,   512 SSD and 16 GB RAM    Hope, mine will be okay, otherewise, all i need to do is to send it back !   No matter what people are saying here, no one can tell me not to feel bad after purchasing a 2000 euros or dollars machine, and is behave this way, i love the machine, all i wish is DELL to find a solution, otherwise, i will send it BACK. emoticon.Sad.title

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dnimyranib
2 Bronze

I will soon get mine, i spent 2,086.00 Euros,   512 SSD and 16 GB RAM    Hope, mine will be okay, otherewise, all i need to do is to send it back !   No matter what people are saying here, no one can tell me not to feel bad after purchasing a 2000 euros or dollars machine, and is behave this way, i love the machine, all i wish is DELL to find a solution, otherwise, i will send it BACK.  emoticon.Sad.title

0 Kudos
Abrahamm
1 Copper

Well I think Becos has at least a bit true in his words, Dell had enought time to at least give any reason, explanation, word...and they are quiet...I´ve been investigating on internet and it seems that others haswell processors of another brand/model have this issue too.So...I can imagine the position of Dell about that...

Dnimyranib, please, tell us your experience as soon as you receive the laptop.

0 Kudos
Dnimyranib
2 Bronze

ABRAHAMM, as soons as i get it, i will post a Video Unboxing it, and using it on youtube,  this going to be on march 24. 

Hello all,

I have 2 questions for the forum in general and Terry B.

Do we have any updates on Dell's progress with a fix?

Has anyone had this issue resolved with a motherboard replacement?

CC

mikenisme
2 Bronze

Hi CC,

No word of a fix. I had the motherboard replaced on my second machine, and if anything the noise is worse now. Furthermore the replacement was the same version as the original (A00). It appears Dell is somehow clueless.

Mike

0 Kudos