Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

2 Posts

March 28th, 2014 03:00

I tried to update to BIOS A03, the Windows updater went well, then the computer won't restart.

Black screen for 25 minutes, then I manually turned it off and on, and the machine booted.

The System Info shows A03 but the coil whine is still there.

9 Posts

March 28th, 2014 04:00

I also tested A03. Upgrading worked without any problems. Coilwhyning is still there, did not change. BIOS setting to stop charging at a certain amount of charge works now, but does not solve the problem.

... so I still work with headphones on when the system is not charging and powered by the adapter.

Hope Dell can fix this with A04 or replacement of the component which makes this noise....

25 Posts

March 28th, 2014 04:00

I had high hopes with this A03 version :(. Just got my replacement today. Soon as I give it a try will post the results. if the noise is still there I'll ask for a refund, had enough of this<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>.

17 Posts

March 28th, 2014 05:00

Thought i would copy this post from the other forums, again, from mentioning on page1 the source of the issue.

Now also on the A03 bios enjoying the long awaited battery management.
As others reported: Coil whine is the same.

Just wanted to respond to your "different coil whine noises":
It is the load and the interrupts the processor sees. Changes over the day, are because something is beginning to run in background. For example indexing or something else.
I use windows and linux here. The sound is different. Because the cpu govenors (load/frequency control is different). In general I feel win 7 more noisy (may be the cpu switches more often to one sleep state). When some very low -priority background task is running, e.g. a file indexer (locate db for example under linux), the noise changes.
I tried under windows (throttle stop) and also under linux (some kernel boot parameter) to restrict the CPU to fall into deeper sleep states as C3. No chance to affect the sound. Actually I have the feeling, that it both (windows + tool or linux kernel) should work, that the c-states are somehow hard-coded in the haswell cpus or the try of software to affect it is blocked by the bios. I can not really meassure differences in power consumption with (both win7 + linux) when trying to restrict the cstates >3 (haswell goes down till c7).

With all the clock settings (intel CPU tuner software) and different govenors and voltages and load conditions. I can say: The whine is definitely the CPU and not the internal graphic as some suggested.
I hoped the battery charging is the last resort. But it is not. The only left thing we could hope (and because dell sells to mainstram users, dell will never unlock the bios settings for having direct control to c-states) 
People accept it - if dell will not open the advanced bios/chipset settings as usual on good desktop boards

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/735403-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge-478.html

20 Posts

March 28th, 2014 06:00

Have contacted dell support  via twitter "@DellCaresPRO: @Noodle8or Hi Rhys, we're aware of the noise issue on the 9530 & a solution is being worked on. Once there is an update I'll let you know^HC" 

https://twitter.com/dellcarespro/status/449502011772649472

25 Posts

March 28th, 2014 14:00

Just played with my 3rd replacement. Noise is still here. Is pretty safe to assume that all the XPS 9530 machines suffer from this noise issue. If yours is the same, Dont bother for replacement, it will be in vain. Will contact support tomorrow. Still thinking if to refund or not (I know right?!). The way Dell handles this issue it's an absolute joke. 

Terry B, 

If you still work for Dell, can you please give us some updates on this problem ?! Anything really will do, you know like at least we can see where the problem is and we are working on the best way to fix it?! It's pretty safe to ASSUME ITS COMMING FROM THE PROCESSOR.

9 Posts

March 28th, 2014 16:00

Hi guys,

as everyone else here I have been following this noise issue for a while.

As people know the newest A03 bios is out. 

I tried it out yesterday - and to my surprise I think something has changed in positive direction.

To be frank - I stopped perceiving the noise issue since yesterday. Its like completely gone. I can only hear the electric noise buzzing when I shut down windows - > when it says shutting down or when i boot windows at the very beginning as it loads icons into the taskbar next to the clock. But even that is very light noise compared to before...

During the operation of Windows its not  perceivable any more. As many others here i have very sensitive hearing. Fingers crossed it stays that way... 

My original problem:

- I am one of the people who had noise when the power charging has reached 100 percent -> the noise would start :( If battery was at like 80 percent and charging it would not make much noise...

- on battery usually i didn't perceive noise. Sometimes I did though. :(

- the noise would NOT change to less when I turn off the keyboard LED :( 

My current configuration :

- Windows 8 running at 3200x1800 resolution (changed yesterday before updating to A03 - was running 1920x1080 for a while -> maybe that made difference?! and not the bios A03 update)

- A03 bios with setting in bios USING AC Adaptor primarily

Good luck to you. Hope you have similar experience. For now fingers crossed it stays silent.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2014 19:00

Hi everyone,

I have dell xps 15 9530. My model never had severe noise, but for sure was there since the beginning. My unit had a screen replacement on the first week and logic board + heatsink on third week, due to severe throttling. After this replacement of the logic board the heat issue got much better, but not as good as i was expecting.

I seems that the tech from dell just applied to much thermal paste. (just saying)

Prior to this machine i had a dell precision m4600, and that was a really good machine. Never felt it getting hot or making noise. 

Well, back to the xps and noise.

After bios update to v. A03 the noise is gone. completely. 
I went to check the bios, and notice to things diferent from my prior setup. AC power adapter was selected, and usb awake support was disable. 

I don't know if there's any relation between this settings and coils noise, since i didn't test, still enjoying the silence :D

9 Posts

March 28th, 2014 23:00

Correction:

Noise is back. :(

So I have been using the laptop for couple of hours since A03 bios update and found some interesting things.

When I close the lid and put it to sleep and then wake up -> the noise is back. 

I found when I restart the laptop into a fresh windows session the noise seems less but somehow it returned afterall. When I was writing my preivous post it seemed gone...

Right now it seems like the noise is back. Profane word removed as per TOU>

39 Posts

March 29th, 2014 02:00

The Only thing we know guys, our next machine, won't be DELL, that's a shame that dell do nothing to take care of customers, and keep selling them these bad machines. Hope one day, will find a solution. Otherwise, we will never buy from them again.

4 Posts

March 29th, 2014 09:00

mine still noise free after the updated bios.
I can hear the coil noise on the log in screen, but after that the noise is gone. 
Hope it stays that way.

And i think there's no perfect machine. Dell makes very good laptops and as any other brand, it can have issues some times. I had apple in the past, and i'm glad i changed. Every 2011 macbook pro is getting dead logic boards, or heat issues, or faulty batteries, etc.

102 Posts

March 29th, 2014 12:00

I have had emails ignored, I am disappointed to see you have to pay to phone paid up front premium support but it looks like I will have to lodge my complaint about the build quality. the screens got dust under it, how that happens in what should be a sterile dust free assembly line is beyond me. And the coil whine on startup. On top of that the *** track pad with it not responding to clicks in the bottom left and right corners.

So long as I log this in the 1st 6 months I can claim a full refund any time in the 3 year warranty if they are unable to fix it.

March 29th, 2014 21:00

mine still noise free after the updated bios.
I can hear the coil noise on the log in screen, but after that the noise is gone. 
Hope it stays that way.

And i think there's no perfect machine. Dell makes very good laptops and as any other brand, it can have issues some times. I had apple in the past, and i'm glad i changed. Every 2011 macbook pro is getting dead logic boards, or heat issues, or faulty batteries, etc.

Lucky you! I haven't tried the A03 update yet so I'll be doing that to see if my coil whine stops. I really wish DELL would give some sort of update. This is rather ridiculous

March 30th, 2014 04:00

Good idea Noodle8or, I have asked ETA question of DellCaresPRO on twitter also. I'll report back here if I get a reply.

25 Posts

March 30th, 2014 05:00

All, Just a quick update. It seems that when the fans are working (a load is applied to the CPU) the high pitch noise is completely gone regardless of AC adapter connected or not (on my 3rd machine any way). It's another confirmation I guess that the noise comes indeed from the CPU, and more exactly during the moments when the CPU enters the low power consumption stages. This combined with the fact that I've experienced the noise issue on THREE separate machines (including a motherboard replacement on the second machine) only makes me think that a solution will only be possible if Dell liaises with Intel. Regardless of everything it's taking AN UNNACEPTABLE long time, and just as mentioned on other posts, I believe more "media pressure" needs to be applied on Dell in order to get the fix quicker (Twitter, Facebook, and also if possible write to all tech websites such as Anandtech.com). All I can hope now is that the issue lies in a simply bios update and nothing more (hardware). I have not asked for a refund yet, will wait to get in contact with Tech support on Monday and then ill decide. Terry B, Please feel free to reply to any of these comments any time you like :)
No Events found!