Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

5 Posts

July 14th, 2014 08:00

It absolutely applies to the M3800 - I have one and I can hear the wine exactly as others have described here. :(

39 Posts

July 14th, 2014 13:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64XQrxTD5Ms This morning i received my XPS 15 9530 late JULY with the refreshed 4712HQ processor, i will make soon a video to let you know how it works, by the way i found something today, when running in battery mode the old XPS 15, with 4702HQ , and you press the CAPS LOCK key, the noise is almost gone completely, try this out guys, well i will soon post about how is the one with the refreshed processor.

39 Posts

July 14th, 2014 14:00

I CAN CONFIRM that the XPS 15 9530 with the refresh processor i7 4712HQ has the NOISE ISSUE also, i received mine today ( 14/07/2014 ) and NOISE STILL there, tomorrow i'll call Dell for a refund because i cant take it anymore.

39 Posts

July 14th, 2014 15:00

XPS 15 9530 - i7 4712HQ Youtube Video NOISE AFTER UNBOX : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlCycaMywM

4 Posts

July 14th, 2014 16:00

thanks Dnimyranib

Really, u help  :)

39 Posts

July 14th, 2014 23:00

thanks Dnimyranib

Really, u help  :)

We have no other option, we have to complain together till DELL fix this problem. YOU WELCOME

15 Posts

July 16th, 2014 02:00

For information:

@pleimb They are working on redesigning the motherboard. However we not do have any confirmation on the same. ^TM

https://twitter.com/DellCares/status/489317866123313153

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2014 04:00

So, let me guess...

The job of a 'secret group' in Dell is to keep claiming that they're working on a motherboard.

The job of rest part of Dell is to deny it.

102 Posts

July 16th, 2014 06:00

I am happy to have this refunded our replaced with the next model. I have a 3 year warranty after all.

5 Posts

July 16th, 2014 06:00

I think the most likely scenario is that dell will figure out what the problem is and implement a fix for the NEXT "XPS15" model release.  I would be surprised if they issue a fix for the current models - its just not cost effective.  My guess it would be cheaper to simply refund the few people who 1) notice the noise and 2) are bothered by it enough to act on it (no offense intended - I am with you guys on this as I meet both criteria). 

I would love to be proven wrong on this but I am doubtful.  We will see...

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 16th, 2014 07:00

Ok, I've refrained from jumping the gun on this despite the bleak outlook, but:

Terry B, we're now past the last day that could possibly be considered "early July", and not only do we not have news of a fix, we don't even have official news of a delay, never mind an updated ETA.  All we have is a few people here that are posting what they've apparently heard from you through other channels, mixed in with the typically inconsistent answers others have received from random Dell customer service reps.

Terry, please post something official here.  Even telling us to expect a delay (ideally with a new timeframe) is better than the complete and utter radio silence we've been experiencing for the last several weeks.  I understand that you can only post the news that you get from engineers and others within Dell and that you don't have any control over the timeline or development of the fix itself, but give us something here.  If you have indeed communicated updated news with certain customers via other channels since your last post here, I don't see why you can't make it official here rather than letting this thread drift off into hearsay and speculation.  Good communication is a basic and key element of good customer service in situations such as these.

102 Posts

July 16th, 2014 09:00

No one's making anyone wait for a refund, if you want a refund they have to give it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2014 09:00

I agree with you.

We had given Dell more than enough time for a fix and since Dell cannot fix it, we require a simple full refund for all customers with this defect and want a refund.

There's really no point in giving another 'delayed ETA'. After all these, does Dell really think we would buy it, again?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 16th, 2014 10:00

Am I missing something? I noticed the noise from the getgo, but let the 7 day refund period (I'm in France) pass because there was buzz of a BIOS fix back then. I called customer support and was denied a refund. They offered "any Dell machine you want, go nuts", and I answered "anything comparable without the noise". They never responded. I emailed about a month later, and the same person said: "Yeah, sorry. Checking for you right now. Will email today". Months have passed without a response.

Well GoNz0 was apparently told that if Dell could not or would not fix the issue, Dell would issue him a full refund even beyond the official refund/return period.  Whether anyone else will be able to get that deal (particularly in other countries) is an open question.  But as to the deal you were offered, unfortunately there isn't anything directly comparable in Dell's product lineup.  The Precision M4800 would probably be the closest performer (better, in fact) but it's also larger and heavier.  The Latitude 14 7000 is also a solid system, but the feature set isn't nearly as robust.  But if things like 15" rather than 14", quad-core CPU, QHD+, and a dedicated GPU aren't particularly important to you, it offers solid performance in a similarly slim and light package, plus an IPS Full HD display, and even onboard Ethernet and a docking connector.

Those are basically your only other options, though.

26 Posts

July 16th, 2014 10:00

No one's making anyone wait for a refund, if you want a refund they have to give it.

Am I missing something? I noticed the noise from the getgo, but let the 7 day refund period (I'm in France) pass because there was buzz of a BIOS fix back then. I called customer support and was denied a refund. They offered "any Dell machine you want, go nuts", and I answered "anything comparable without the noise". They never responded. I emailed about a month later, and the same person said: "Yeah, sorry. Checking for you right now. Will email today". Months have passed without a response.

No Events found!