Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

December 26th, 2014 06:00

I'll never buy from Dell again. That being said, I may have found a fix for my coil whine. I began having troubles with my Wi-Fi a couple of weeks ago. After many hours on the phone with Tech Support, they sent me a flash drive so we could reinstall the OS. I reinstalled and, at least for right now, there is no coil whine. I wonder if the coil wine is related to the facial recognition software that comes pre-installed. I did not download the software after reinstalling the OS and I suspect that is the fix. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

31 Posts

December 26th, 2014 06:00

It is not related to any software. Coil whine happens in linux and also when in bios.

1 Message

December 28th, 2014 19:00

@luca.321,

I was thinking exactly what you are thinking.

Now I am waiting on the ASUS Zenbook NX500 to be released in the UK. It is out in the US I think and unfortunately it is overpriced, but it has good specs for a thin ultrabook. Better specs than any other ultrabook I know.

The ASUS GX500 (not out yet) is the gaming version of the NX500 but I bet it will be even more expensive.

Another laptop that is worth checking out is the Lenovo Y50 (UHD). It belongs in another category (like the HP Omen you mentioned), since it is a gaming laptop but it is still relatively thin and light. It is also cheap considering its specs. It has the same specs with the HP Omen but it is way cheaper. 

December 30th, 2014 18:00

(Disregard my last post.)

Pizzaservice's post on  [View:en.community.dell.com/.../19500507] appears to have fixed my coil whine (or some combination of that, reinstalling the OS, not re-downloading the facial recognition software, and updating all the drivers).

No thanks to Dell.

January 6th, 2015 18:00

(Disregard my last post.)

Pizzaservice's post on  [View:en.community.dell.com/.../19500507] appears to have fixed my coil whine (or some combination of that, reinstalling the OS, not re-downloading the facial recognition software, and updating all the drivers).

No thanks to Dell.

Unfortunately this didn't help, at least not in my case. My machine has the sporadic hissing noise  while fully charged and the same noise when scrawling web pages/documents. The problem seems to be related to video hardware. When Nvidia GPU is enabled (for example with GPU-z) then the constant noise is gone but scrawling pages still makes the noise.

This is hopeless. Dell has released a renewed model. Wonder if the hissing noise is there too.

January 7th, 2015 03:00

Which web browser are you using?  Chrome uses direct x technology.  Try fire fox or IE.

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 07:00

Hi Terry,

Any news?

Has been fixed the problem in new 4k version?

Thank you.

January 25th, 2015 20:00

Hello all,

It's been some time since an update. We have new iterations of the XPS 15. Is it fixed there?

My coil whine is not too bad but still annoying. 

I note this thread was started in December 2013. Surely this is long enough for a fix.

Terry, any updates from the Dell side of things?

CC

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

February 1st, 2015 13:00

I can attest that there is no solution still. I bought my (mid-range) XPS in November and have tolerated their whole ridiculous process of system and motherboard exchanges. The MB was a Tripod LA-9941P, Rev 1.0 (A00), 2013.09.26 (blue) and so was the exchange (green), which was actually refurbished. No improvement. Then they sent me a new system which was even louder than the one I had. I have been transferred to their Advanced Resolution Group which tried to convince me to send the laptop so they can fix it, stating that "everything can be fixed" and "we stand by our products." At that point I could not help but laugh ironically!

I am sure they have not fixed this yet and have not intention to do so in the near future. I can say with certainty that they don't even consider this irritating noise to be a problem. Terry's last response was the greatest confirmation for this. I decided to live with it because I have no luxury any more to "play" with Dell and their unprofessional and disrespectful support, neither to look for another laptop. Nonetheless, I am advising everyone to stay away from this model if they want peace of mind (and ears).

8 Posts

February 1st, 2015 13:00

Terry crawled into a hole and has nothing to say. People, it's ridiculous. It's been a year and we havent got yet any exact explanation of this issue from Dell. Do we know what units have this issue? Serial number of motherboards or something like that? Is there any user who havent experienced this issue yet?

23 Posts

February 1st, 2015 14:00

Starting to think I'm the only one on this thread that has never had this problem. I ordered my XPS15 9530 from Amazon and have had it since mid-July, 2014. Never had this issue, and I use the laptop pretty much all day at least 5 days a week, often more. I carry it on a plane pretty much every week, so it also get thrown in a backpack daily, goes through TSA X-rays, and generally gets thoroughly used. Dead silent, performs like a champ. Mine is the version with the half GB SSD, and a colleague of mine has the 1TB regular HD -- also no problems in about 7 months of ownership. Wish we actually had some real stats about the frequency / pervasiveness of this issue.

Based on my positive experience, I'd probably still get the latest version of one of these if I needed a new laptop. But being aware of the issues described here, I'd be sure to have easy means of return and replacement in case of unpleasant surprises. For me - Amazon Prime provides that kind of satisfaction guaranteed "insurance" and an incredibly easy means of getting a refund and/or replacement, at least initially. 

9 Posts

hey guys,

i have been on this thread since the beginning and I strongly believe nowadays that Terry is not an employe but some random user making fun of Dell customers with that problem. Till today he has not been productive in whatever he claimed, so I assume it he is just a regular (not working for dell) guy taking us for fools.

Anyways, if you are like me (u have my batch of the laptop) - try out running linux (in my case I use Ubuntu 14.04LTS) instead of Windows on the laptop.

With its default installation the electircal noise completely disappeared. I have to have the screen brightness 100 percent on I found , else there might be tiny bits of noise BUT nothing compared to running it on Windows 8. Its just unbearable this hissing sound. I stopped using Windows and have it as a parallel boot for times I really need Windows. Thankfully those times are less and less nowadays.

By the way, just throwing it out there... The HiDPI support seems to be pretty good under Ubuntu 14 anyways - so try considering it guys. Maybe you are having the batch like mine which makes 

- hissing sound/coil noise after  charged 100 percent and plugged (under windows)

- no coil noise when on battery (under windows)

- no coil noise with power plugged and 100 percent charged (linux ubuntu 14)
that said: -> with brightness 100 percent no coilnoise and with
-> with brightness smaller than 100 percent 'some light' coil noise. 

2 Posts

Guys I don`t think DELL will spend money on the old XPS. They are working on the new one and hopefully they`ll sort the issue. Luca

8 Posts

To be honest, I'm going to buy this model but I have to think it over. I would pay for that if I knew that there is any solution. As you said, tokola, they treat people in disrespectful and unprofessional way making a fools of us. That's insane thay year has been and this problem even exists in xps 13 units. In this case warranty plan is pointless. What's is the point in paying dell huge amount money for 3 year nbd? If i even knew that there is a least 1 % chance to get unit without defect in this process of making an idiot of me i could risk.

23 Posts

February 1st, 2015 15:00

I just pulled this from system info, for what it's worth:

System Type x64-based PC
System SKU XPS 15 9530
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702HQ CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A04, 3/28/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 0.04
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32