I think that the only way to push them to take some action is making public this issue, post in forums, try to post in hardware sites about that and that kind of actions...Dell could be compromised this way.
I just stumbled onto a solution which has decreased *MY* noise issues, and wanted to share, in hopes it will help others.
My XPS 9530 (Dec 2013) has made "crunching" sounds (similar to a hard drive) in the area of the power button, since Day 1.
The sounds appear to be video card related, as they are only noticeable during screen re-draws:
- web pages with scrolling banners (ex: http://www.powerball.com/pb_home.asp )
- scrolling up and down in applications (browser, document, Outlook) with the mouse wheel
And the sound is only audible when the laptop is connected to a power supply. While on battery, the sound is not noticeable.
I have tried multiple power supplies, and power sources, to no avail.
In addition to the noise issue, my screen recently started flashing uncontrollably after coming out of Sleep Mode. Researching the issue, I came upon this thread:
Dell XPS 15 9530 screen flashing problem after update new drivers.
Like the user who started the thread above, I had recently upgraded my video drivers.
So, as the Dell representative suggested in that thread, I did the following:
- Downloaded the latest Intel and nVIDIA graphics drivers from Dell Support (the same ones I had recently upgraded to, dated 1/9/2014)
- Started my laptop in Safe Mode
- Went into Device Manager, under Display Adapters, and uninstalled the Intel and nVIDIA adapters (making sure to check the box to "Delete the driver software for this device")
- Rebooted the laptop
- Installed both of the graphics drivers I downloaded earlier
- Rebooted the laptop (again)
Since reinstalling the drivers, the "crunching" sound has been dramatically reduced (but NOT completely gone).
Normally on March 24th i supposed to have my laptop because i ordered it on February 18th, and the date to send me the laptop was set by DELL on March 24th.
BUT NOW , going back to their website i see that they change the Date to April 22th
and they send me an email saying that we revised they date, so you won't have your laptop on march 24th, but on April 22th
I AM NOT MAD AT ALL, I ONLY HOPE ALL THIS TIME THEY ARE TAKING TO SEND LAPTOP, I ONLY HOPE IT WILL BE A GOOD DEVICE, NOT A NOISY ONE.
"Thanks for the reach out. Dell Engineering Team is aware about this and are working on it. - We will get back to you with an update as soon as it is available. ^BG"