Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 28th, 2016 17:00

XPS 15 9550 - BSOD freezes daily and randomly

Hi,

Ever since i got my laptop ive been plagued by blue screen freezes often and seemingly randomly. doesn't matter what i am doing. Several times a day it happens. I used to get kernel inpage errors and ive been trying to update all drivers and a few solutions i found online. Finally reduced it to pretty much daily freezes and mostly the correlating event is 

CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

Kernel-PnP event id 219
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&1. -> what is this exactly? and why?

My searches so far show the driver for that error is a Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control Driver. There is no 9550 windows 10 driver available for it. Any suggestions?

Can anyone please help? is this a hardware issue?

i updated to new BIOS 01.02, have the latest Dell drivers for everything.

December 26th, 2016 09:00

tl;dr - blue screening anytime I try to do something with it; external hardware/docks seemingly not a factor.

Some additional information and troubleshooting following my last post.

* I continued my troubleshooting at home on my XPS15 9550, and I made sure that nothing was plugged-in - no docks, USB devices, etc. The only external connections from the laptop are Bluetooth (to a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse) and network (to an Asus Wireless-N access point, connecting to the a/n/ac band). Blue screens are just as frequent as before, so it would seem that USB docks and Thunderbolt aren't specifically a factor.

* Blue screening definitely seems more frequent whenever I'm trying to do "too much I/O" at once - such as installing from a network drive.

* I've fired-up Dell SupportAssist and figured I'd see if it thought I was missing any drivers. Depite having installed both a BIOS update and Chipset drivers multiple times, they continue to show. All install attempts have been successful, so this is clearly something wrong with how the SupportAssist driver detection is configured.

* The BIOS update identification is ridiculous. The text for it reads "BIOS - Dell XPS 15 9550 1.2.15 A16 System BIOS," and the version is actually specified as "Version 1.02.17, 01.02.17." When the BIOS update is applied, the version is actually *1.2.18*. The BIOS is revving so fast that the entire update system is out-of-whack - again, not a good sign for where things stand with this laptop.

* I attempted to find an older BIOS version to see if a downgrade would help. Unfortunately, I could not locate an older image.

* I've attempted to run a diagnostic in Stress mode several times. Each time I've tried, it has crashed with a blue screen a rebooted. When I attempt to start working with Support today, I'm sure that's something they're going to want me to try; I'll have to see how to fetch the data from the diagnostics that have been run already.

* With several of the blue screens, Windows has had to check the C: drive for errors. It has also run rather lengthy memory tests a couple of times. I've let these go, and they seem to have come back okay. But I know that every one of these blue screens is putting my system at risk. I don't know why I bothered, but I put Microsoft Office on the laptop. A BSOD occurred during activation, and it damaged the install so that I had to go out and get Office repair tools just to successfully activate.

At this point, my solid conclusion is that I have a lemon. Since I gave my rock-solid-stable XPS 13 to my daughter for Christmas, I now am without a "work laptop." As the CTO for a small Microsoft consulting firm based here in Cincinnati, this isn't going to fly. If we can't fix this immediately, this laptop is going back as a lemon. I went through an extended troubleshooting session with Dell years ago (with a Precision M6500 that I had), and that resulted in the swapping of about half a dozen motherboards and daughterboards. I lost countless hours and weeks to this process, and I utterly refuse to go through that process again.

That's the main reason I'm posting everything I've tried here. I want to traverse first and second level support as quickly as possible. And maybe some of these ramblings will help the rest of you (suffering with the same issues) know that you're not crazy  :-)

2 Posts

January 10th, 2017 08:00

I have had the identical problem since I purchased in April 15. I have spent around 15 total hours on the phone with tech support running every diagnostic possible and returned the computer to Dell THREE times for repair. Last returned two weeks ago and it still is not fixed. Three restarts today alone. They have replaced hard drive, mother board, fan and other internal part in addition to reloading the OS. They refuse to replace the computer and I can't find anyone in Dell to talk to in the US to elevate this problem. One very, very unhappy Dell customer...

2 Posts

January 10th, 2017 08:00

They replaced my mother board as well but issue not solved...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 10th, 2017 15:00

Does anyone have a dump file?

Since the Hardware ID in the original post seems to point at the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework, there are drivers in the Chipset section, I believe.

Otherwise, does the system run normally before you install any other software?  If you lock any screen rotation or let the system sit without being moved, does it help?

Make sure you have the latest bios updates

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 18:00

I have read so many forums and posts on the BSOD, it was driving me crazy, I didn't return the machine cause i fell in Love with it.

What solved the problem for me was downloading the latest Smasung SSD driver NVMe, even though my ssd doesn't have specific drivers, downloading them did it.

Make sure you have latest BIOS and other drivers are up to date

April 2nd, 2017 20:00

I am also having BSOD critical process died. I installed the samsung driver and now I get random freezes instead. I am also a very unhappy Dell customer...

April 2nd, 2017 20:00

I am!

1 Message

June 24th, 2017 12:00

Hi,

Firstly, I had a Problem fixed, on WD USB HDD "My Passport" WXP1EA2FDN56 on Dell XPS 15 9550 (0N7TVV motherboard) under windows 10 x64 Pro v1607 build 1358. From the beginning, My Passport was present in the "right click window" on icon "to eject USB device" and in the device manager without ever any alarm but inaccessible in windows. I had also many BSOD crash, without dump,  mainly of 2 types "critical_process_died" and "unexpected store exception".

So, I make the following changes to fix problems with storage device:

1.Change from SATA RAID 0 to SATA AHCI,  more stable (especially if HDD<2, SSD not included),

to fix BSOD, crash without dump of the type "critical process died" error.

2.Update WD disk with the last firmware, available on WD support web site,

3.Update Dell (Intel) SATA AHCI drivers with Dell Assistant Support,

4.Plug your disk on USB3 Hub with individual power button (HBUM43 from Sabrent 7€, for example).

Until now, I haven't any more "Unexpected Store Exceptions" error, but to install my passport

with the power "On" button of the hub it was a too long process (wasted time). I have a more stable system but it is not perfect.

Secondly, remains the problems of impossible repair of windows 10, backup, windows update, without loss of data and applications, with no violation of integrity of the system after sfc /scannow. It seems linked to dll corrupted or missing, after DISM repair attempts and inaccessible sources. The 1607_14393.1358 ISO from Dell (2DF4FA00_W10x64ROW_pro(DL)_v3) or from Microsoft update KB4022715 doesn't work or install with desactivated antivirus. Antivirus Avira doesn't detect infection.

Quality Assurance Departments from Dell & Microsoft  allow non-functional products to be sold.

But, what are they doing ? Probably, they want being overtaken by the competition and finally

close their doors ?

MN

NB : I think that initial hardware storage device incompatibilty resulted in damaged dll but why isn't possible to repair it  simply ?

1 Message

July 19th, 2017 17:00

Ok, I think I have a solution to this one - at least one that has worked for me.  I too have the Dell XPS 15 9550 with the 512Gb SSD Samsung drive.  I was having the BSOD with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED once every day or so even after a full windows rebuild.  I logged a case with Dell and, like other people here, after the Samsung SSD firmware was updated, the BSODs stopped but the laptop would then freeze and completely lock up about 2-5 times per day requiring a hard power off each time.

After MANY hours of support phone calls and every driver replaced about five times, one chap suggest a solution which has fixed my problem... FINALLY.  We went into BIOS and into the Performance section and disabled Intel TurboBoost.  TurboBoost dynamically overclocks CPU and GPU when under high load and it seemed to be causing a power issue.  Anyway, two full days with no crashes since then... the day before the change - 5 crashes in 24 hours so it definitely has sorted my issue.

Anyway, hope that helps someone else!

No Events found!