Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2016 02:00

XPS 15 9550 FHD with latest BIOS - 1.2.13 - fails to charge battery more than 60 percent

After updating BIOS to latest version (1.2.13), the battery only charges to 60 percent and then it stops.

- cable is connected and bios shows status as OK.

- if I disconnect and let the battery discharge below 50% the charging will kick in once I reconnect but will only charge until 60%

- tried changing battery modes in BIOS settings - standard / adaptive / express charge but regardless of which mode I choose charging seems to stop at 60%.

- behavior seems to be independent of OS as charging won't pass 60% even if laptop is turned off

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

173 Posts

September 4th, 2016 07:00

I have a 9 cell battery and Dell has elevated my case to Level three. They are suppose to call me today but I'm out of town.  I don't knw what they plan on doing to resolve the issue short of releasing and updated Bios.  Will keep you Updated.

3 Posts

September 4th, 2016 08:00

The fix is NOT a motherboard replacement. That's like saying the fix for a car with old oil is an engine replacement. Yeah, it'll work but it's ridiculously unnecessary.

THE CURRENT FIX IS DOWNGRADING tHE BIOS TO 1.1.15. OR 1.1.19. I LINKED TO THESE ON PAGE TWO.

69 Posts

September 4th, 2016 09:00

Hi

same problem with my XPS 15 9550. Another user has two XPS 15, one works good and the other has the same charging problem.

17 Posts

September 4th, 2016 09:00

Working on an Acer Aspire 3000- it was suggested that a BIOS update would fix the problem- but did not.

2. Another Suggestion was- To Unplug the Adaptor- Remove Battery and hold down the Power Button for a Full 2 min...
Then re-insert Battery, connect adaptor- and it should fix it (after the Bios Update).

However- it did not fix the Problem... and I found that Problems with that Laptop were actually due to the Battery.... and worked fine without the Battery. 
It had showed the Battery Charging until, about 8%  - but then not Charging and sometimes Fully Charged.  When the Adaptor was unplugged it quickly drained on about 20 min.

I know a Dell in not an Acer- But, it might be helpful?!
And if you have other problems with your Laptop- perhaps the Battery is related to them.

8 Posts

September 4th, 2016 10:00

I really doubt the battery can be the problem. I have had two of them replaced in the last 10 days or so to no avail.

Since downgrading the BIOS seems to cure it. Although in my particular case going back solved the charging problem BUT introduced a overheating problem it was not a total solution for me.

I to doubt a new system board is needed UNLESS this particular BIOS actually damaged the system board. My opinion is that this may be possible but I have never heard of that happening.

My system is still under warranty and DELL sent me a notice that they are sending a Technician to FIX the computer at this point. They did not say what parts they were sending and I probably will not find out until the Technician calls to set up the In Home appointment. I suspect that it is another battery replacement. If it is I will probably let him/her do it but of course they will not hang around for the hour or so to see if it fixes it and if it doesn't they cannot provided any recourse except "contact DELL". If they want to replace the system board (and as previously mentioned install a older BIOS 1.1.10 I will let them do it but I think I would be hard pressed to not install the CURRENT BIOS to see what happens..

At this point maybe DELL will accelerate the next BIOS release (if it solves the charging problem) otherwise most of us that have this problem will still have it for a while.

PS: I have tried all of the fixes mentioned to solve this problem including the "remove battery, drain machine and reinstall the battery". Regret that absolutely none of them have helped me personally. Just a lot of totally wasted time.

4 Posts

September 4th, 2016 17:00

What happened with Dell ? This this the most expensive Dell laptop and it has a lot of problems. I've never had any problem with my old, cheap Asus laptop. Shame on you DELL .  

36 Posts

September 5th, 2016 06:00

It *was* the latest for the Precision 5510.  They've now pulled it and 1.2.10 is what's on the support site.  Surprised they haven't pulled it for everyone.

8 Posts

September 5th, 2016 06:00

Just adding my voice.  I have the same problem with 1.20.13 on my precision 5510.  Moving back is not really an option since this BIOS version is (barely) stable, unlike others.

Dell, when will a fixed BIOS version be released?

You mention the BIOS version 1.20.13, which is the latest for the XPS 15 9550, not the Precision 5510.  (The latest BIOS on the Precision 5510 is 1.2.10.) I know that these laptops are similar, but is it really okay to interchange BIOSes like that?

5 Posts

September 5th, 2016 21:00

I think someone needs to go to consumer court now. Its high time! I mean one after the other! Seriously If I knew how to I would definitely do that, Absolutely pathetic tech team, no offense but at least check your system tests once DELL.! 

And about on-site tech support, I had to get my trackpad changed due to an alignment issue the technician 'accidently' broke my laptop sceen. That's the level of professionalism Dell employs. I'm sorry to say I think I should've waited for the new Macbook pro only. 

173 Posts

September 5th, 2016 23:00

Dell tech support is pathetic, no doubt. There onsite tech are non Dell people who in some instances are working on the model for the first time with no training on the model.  they have no certification on Dell XPS Computers, so bad things will happen and have happened to me numerous times.Here's what I Don't get Bios 1,2,0 and 1.2.10 worked fine and there were no charging issue.  Then after the release of 1.2.13 you have to go all the way back to 1.1.19 to correct the charging problem..Now 1.2.0 and 1.2.10 are corrupt.  Sounds like a big problem to me and so far they have not gotten  back to me with a fix. .They say this has been escalated to the Senior Tear and thanks for your patients..

8 Posts

September 6th, 2016 14:00

In case anyone missed it the 1.2.13 BIOS is no longer listed on the 9550 Drivers Site.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2016 14:00

In case anyone missed it the 1.2.13 BIOS is no longer listed on the 9550 Drivers Site.

Well, looks like we've at least got the attention of more than the frontline at last.

77 Posts

September 6th, 2016 15:00

a real shame it took this long. they should have pulled the A10 aswell.

8 Posts

September 6th, 2016 16:00

But backing down to 1.2.10 from 1.2.13 DOES NOT fix the problem of charging above 60%.

They did release a new INTEL Video driver (which has an Audio Component) today so maybe the screen problem some were mentioning is fixed.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2016 16:00

Back to 1.1.15 or 1.1.19 version does not help my computer, it causes black screen problem and i have to stick with 1.2.10 and to live with 60% battery. anyone please let Dell know about this ! 

No Events found!