Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2015 11:00

XPS 15 9550 Flickering Horizontal Lines

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my brand new XPS 15 where I am seeing 1px high horizontal lines flickering all over the screen. It's most noticeable on coloured and darker backgrounds but does appear to occur across the entire screen. This also happens outside of the Windows environment, such as on the 'Dell logo' loading screen when the machine first turns on, where white lines flicker all around the logo.

I've updated to the latest drivers and BIOS, and have also tried disabling the onboard graphics to use the NVidia card instead, but nothing appears to fix the issue as yet. I have also run the full test under the diagnostics area but this didn't fail in any areas.

Could someone point me toward what I should do next?

Also, I tried calling the helpdesk this evening at 19:10 but the automated message said that I should call back within working hours... which according to the site are 08:00 to 20:00. I'm in the UK, but had also localised to the UK site. So what gives?

Thanks in advance,
Richard 

1 Message

December 15th, 2015 20:00

I am having the same problem with my XPS 15. Just got it two days ago. So far, I haven't been able to solve the problem. I might return the laptop.

5 Posts

December 25th, 2015 20:00

I'm having the same issue.. was the problem fixed for you?

5 Posts

December 25th, 2015 21:00

I think I fix it! I went in the BIOS and defaulted everything. It's been an hour and now the issue has not returned yet.

December 26th, 2015 10:00

An engineer came to replace the screen which unfortunately didn't make any difference, so it's looking like a board issue.

Dell are now replacing the entire laptop.

5 Posts

December 26th, 2015 18:00

The problem came back on mine...

I guess I'll have to contact Dell support

5 Posts

December 26th, 2015 19:00

I uninstalled the intel 530 drivers and the problem is gone!

19 Posts

January 7th, 2016 23:00

Is this still working for you?  Did you install a different version or did win 10 install a different driver the next time you started?

March 15th, 2016 12:00

Can I ask how you did this and if the issue is still solved?

Many thanks

19 Posts

March 15th, 2016 22:00

There is another thread on this as well: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19676491/20890470#20890470

Some have suggested that you disable the intel driver by going into the device manager and selecting the intel hd graphics 530 (under displays) and disabling it. I tried this and the problem vanished, however you then drop back to using just the NVidia display. For me, this meant the resolution was off (and fixed), the display brightness control wouldn't dim (it was stuck on full), etc. I ended up re-enabling the driver.

Support told me that they are working on the issue and expect to have a fix in April.

However just last week installed the latest windows update and my problem has been minimized and doesn't happen nearly as frequently as it was.

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 07:00

Hi there,

I have the same issue flashing white lines (XPS 9550, UHD, SSD 512go)

It does not appears regularly, mainly when a second display screen is connected.

It was ship later last week so I suppose that bios is up to date.

Disable the intel graphics didn't solve the issue, worst it made nvidia control panel unavailable.

I wonder if I have to contact the support for a replacement or not?  Is there any new for this issue ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I love this machine but I am a bit disappointed by these issues, especially at this price...

Regards,

Arnault

March 22nd, 2016 10:00

Hi Arnault.

I have just had the screen replaced after contacting Dell support.

My problem was also intermittent but would not stop once it was started.

I would contact them as you will be under warranty.

I'll let you know if the problem occurs again with the new screen.

Best wishes,

Liz

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 12:00

Thanks a lot Liz,

I am waiting your feedback and there is bank holidays so there is no rush...
The issue is quite persistent tonight on my laptop...

March 29th, 2016 03:00

Hi Arnault,

It's been nearly a week since my screen was replaced and the problem has now gone, so it suggests that it IS the screen and not anything else.

I was also experiencing really bad shadows and inky blacks when playing videos, this has also gone now so it's back to being a top-notch screen that is worth the money!

Hope you get yours sorted soon :)

Liz

7 Posts

March 30th, 2016 10:00

Thank you very much for your feedback Liz,

I will contact them next week to proceed to the exchange.

Cheers

Arnault

No Events found!