Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2016 11:00

XPS 15 9550 Freeze randomly - Black screen

My XPS 15 9550 - quad core i5 freezes randomly - the screen will turn black (or grey), but not the windows BSOD. I have to hold the power button to force shutdown and reboot the laptop when this happens.

Tried updating all drivers, not helpful, clean installed windows 10, didn't help.

This could happen anytime, even at the time I'm not touch my laptop, or running anything.

Seems to be driver related or hardware.. anyone have some issues? 

12 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 06:00

For me, replacing the motherboard solves the problem, I haven't had a single issue since and I run bios 19. 

12 Posts

In my case, downgrading didn't solve the problem.

I've done this as well, I will report back but seems to work fine for now. It really needs to be tested for a few days before we rule anything out.

Also downgrading to 15 is not a very good idea, as bios 19 fixes some other issues. Hopefully dell will bring a newer bios which fixes this issue. 

But as a solid reported working fix, you still need to replace your motherboard.

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 07:00

I will call the service then, thank you for your help :)

27 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 08:00

I think the problem probably has different causes - In my case, I had the freeze at any BIOS version. And it happens mostly when I leave my laptop idle. Never freeze up during game/video. 

And as many have mentioned, changing the motherboard seems to fixed the problem on the latest BIOS. 

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 10:00

Why does the motherboard need to be replaced ? as pointed by most this seems to be clearly a driver issue, so why replace a hardware to get it fixed ?

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 11:00

I guess that's the next question for me. Currently I appear to have a fully functioning computer, and a dell technician imminently to attend (arranged after trying all sorts of fixes, apart from the bios downgrade). Kevin is likely to be correct in saying we may have different causes to this issue. So I'm uncertain whether replacing the motherboard will necessarily work for me. At present, I'm going to hang on with what I have, cancel the technician, and await another bios version. Be interested still to hear of the experience of others.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 14:00

I've been having this problem as well and it started really acting up with the latest BIOS update.  I downgraded to 1.15 and still seeing the issue. I disabled the gfx card and will report back with results.  

This is a pretty terrible solution all things considering. How do we report this to Dell/nVidia?

13 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 18:00

I talked to Dell off and on for about a week about this.  The answer came back "Ship us your [primary computer that you use to work with] and we'll ship something back to you in a couple of weeks.  It may or may not be factory reset, sorry you spent all that time getting your software loaded."  Others here are talking about a tech coming out to them and/or Dell shipping them motherboards for self repair, but my rep basically said "no way" since it "[might just be a driver issue, a factory reset would let the techs know]."

7 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 22:00

Because when my motherboard got replaced, the issue was fixed. Same disk drive, so same drivers, so no driver issue. I upgraded the BIOS of the new motherboard to 1.1.19 again, still no issues.

Dell first asked me to pick up my laptop and send it back after 10 days. I said: no. They sent in a tech.

27 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 07:00

Same experience with the Dell support here in Canada. 

Anyway, I have sent my laptop for repair - they would need to change the motherboard and my LCD screen (light bleeding). I have no confidence that they would fix the problem - because they dont even know the cause of this. 

I had a Asus Zenbook worked with no issues for last 4 years, and Macbook pro on its 8th year. Dell is just not on par (except the price)

4 Posts

March 4th, 2016 14:00

I'm also having a similar issue. Since I ordered mine with Pro Support, they are going to eventually ship out a new motherboard and install it on-site. The motherboard is currently on backorder for at least a week. I'm trying several tests to see if I can isolate the issue I am seeing, and will report back if successful. Thus far, it does seem like there is a causal relationship between the software and hardware (my hardware was shipped to me in late December). The problem has not occurred while Windows is in Safe Mode (to get Windows 10 in safe mode is an interesting task):

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power  Power icon > Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings >Restart.

3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

(Windows instructions from windows.microsoft.com/.../start-your-pc-in-safe-mode)

1 Message

March 9th, 2016 08:00

I have had the freezing problem since the BIOS update the other day. 

I've followed advice on here and disabled the Nvidia 960.  It's definitely solved it for me, for the time-being.

Dell support says it should be fixed in the next BIOS update, so must be a known issue with them and OK, changing the MB has solved it for some people but my gut-feeling is that this is a software issue.  

27 Posts

March 9th, 2016 15:00

Update:

So I'm out of patience and had dell replaced my motherboard (as well my LCD screen because of light bleeding). It's been OK for last 3 days with no freeze - fingers crossed. 

Hopefully the new BIOS update will solve this issue, but I dont want they end up workaround some of the hardware deficits in the BIOS.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2016 14:00

Based on advice from Dell I took a different approach. I had installed the latest nVidia drivers through the nVidia experience app. I rolled back to the nVidia drivers from Dell's website then upgraded to Bios version .19 and I've been completely stable since then.

YMMV but I'm happy with this and will only be installing updates from Dell directly and not nVidia.

No Events found!