Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 20th, 2015 00:00

XPS 15 9550; No audio of headphone insert

Like the title says,i am having problem with audio from the very first day.Upon inserting headphone in the 3.5mm jack,a pop up about  comes out  about headphone in,headphone with mic etc.....And audio mutes and don't come back.Even if i take the headphone out.No sound on speaker either.

Seems like its a problem with dell audio driver.Uninstalling Dell audio driver and using Microsoft stock audio Driver fixes the issue.Anyone with this same strange problem?

December 20th, 2015 14:00

I'm having the same issue, haven't tried the fix you mentioned yet, going to check it out. This should not be happenng, IMO, on a new laptop that costs the $$$ this one did.

15 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 11:00

I've experienced this problem as well, it was fixed with a reboot, but I'm concerned it will happen again.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2016 16:00

I'm having similar problems with the Dell Realtek HD audio driver installed.

When I plug in headphones, I get no sound.

I then installed the Realtek driver from Microsoft (without Dell MaxxAudio) from the link on this page:  http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/5993-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version.html

It didn't completely fix the problem.  When I plugged in headphones, I got sound.  When I then unplugged the headphones, there is no sound from the speakers.  When I re-plug the headphones, there's still no sound.  Please fix this problem!

2 Posts

January 17th, 2016 11:00

I have the same issue, did you fix the problem using Microsoft stock drivers?

3 Posts

January 19th, 2016 14:00

I got an older driver version from the Realtek website; I'm currently using 6.0.1.7541 (dated 18 June 2015) without any issues so far, but I haven't done a lot of testing.  I don't get any MaxxAudioPro options in the Dell Audio app, but I don't care about that.

11 Posts

January 24th, 2016 20:00

yeah.it's the same problem we are all having.i tried drivers from realtek website.looks like they are all same.

I can only fix this by disabling driver update from control panel, and then uninstalling all realtek hd driver from device manager. doing  this,you lose the functionality to use the headphone mic and there is  no way to switch from laptop built in mic to headphone mic.

11 Posts

January 26th, 2016 21:00

can you share screenshot and link of the current version you are using.I'm unable to find your above version from realtek website :

www.realtek.com.tw/.../downloadsView.aspx;PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#1

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 13:00

Add a "me too" to this issue; I insert the headphones, a pop-up dialog appears asking me which type of device this is, and the audio is dead. The only thing that I've found to restore audio is to put the laptop to sleep.

Driver:

Realtek High Definition Audio

2 Posts

February 18th, 2016 03:00

Same here. I did everything I could think of that inlcudes:

• BIOS update
  • Drivers update
  • Complete uninstall of all Dell software
  • Installation of generic Realtek drivers

Still when I plug in/out headphones it randomly works to switch sound from built in speakers to headphones or not. When it doesn't work I get no sound at all even if I unplug headphones.

Sometimes it helps to restart Realtek and Windows Audio services but then I need to have headphones plugged in and I might be lucky enough to get audio back. Still it will immediately stop working if I unplug them. And most likely I won't get lucky enough and even after restarting Realtek and Windows Audio services (I've also tried with WavesAudio service) I won't get any sound at all untill I reboot.

This is so *** frustrating.

11 Posts

February 19th, 2016 18:00

can you try clean installing windows 10 again and resintall dell drivers...and lets us know if anything gets better?

2 Posts

February 20th, 2016 02:00

Unfortunately not. I've spent quite some time preparing the environment for development work. Then it took me hours to migrate everything to new NVM SSD drive (since obviously there were problems with booting from that disk). I don't wan't to go through this again :)

What I did was installing Dell drivers back to existing Windows installation. It did not improve anything, even more now I have a strange reverb-like effect on headphones even though all effects are disabled in sound card configuration and MaxxAudio doesn't work at all (I get only blank window when I start it).

If I were to guess this is a low level issue either with BIOS or sound card driver. Having all this problems with Realtek everything works fine when I use HDMI connector (I can plug it in and unplug as many times as I want, yay!). Still this *** since I want to use headphones with mic for communications.

15 Posts

February 20th, 2016 14:00

I have this exact issue. No response or acknowledgement from Dell. Really frustrating. The only way to reliably switch between headphones and internal speakers is to restart machine. I think it's a BIOS issue.

February 21st, 2016 21:00

I've experienced this too. PLEASE GET ON THIS IF YOU WANT TO RETAIN CUSTOMERS, DELL.

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 03:00

I have this problem too. Sound doesn't work. For me sound on the speakers works, but then after plugging in the earphone, I get the pop up notice, and click earphone, but it doesn't work, no sound nada.  I have to go to speaker icon , playback, disable the Speaker/Headphone, then enable the  Speaker/Headphone. This would cause whatever i was listening to, to error out and I would have to restart it and then the earphone works. To get back the speakers, I would have to put the XPS 15 9550 in sleep mode and then turn it back on. What a pain, definitely a software bug. Please fix this.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2016 20:00

You can add me to the list of Dell xps 15 owners with this sound issue, i ended up clean installing window 10 again and it worked for a wile but the problem returned! I've tried everything from old drivers to messing with settings. No Luck. This is one of Dells highest end models you would think they would have found a fix by now! 

No Events found!