Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2016 04:00

XPS 15 (9550) Powers itself on after shut down, sleep or hibernate. BIOS code issue or hardware fault?

Hi,

I have a brand new XPS 15 (9550) machine which I suppose may have a factory defect, but I'd like to try asking here and see if others have similar experiences before sending it to repair.

TL;DR; Issuing a shut down, hibernate or start command makes the laptop go down. Light from the power button goes away. 2 seconds later, the power comes back on and the system starts up.

On delivery, the laptop had Win 10 Pro on it. I want to have a clean install without the bloatware which is often shipped with new computers, so I reinstalled it on the very first day with a USB stick prepared with Windows 10 Pro install media on it. Once installed, I added the WLAN driver and let the machine get all other drivers via Windows update. Once done, I shut down the machine and put it in my bag. So far so good, I thought. 

When i took it of of my bag I instantly noticed that it was hot and that the screen was already at the Windows logon as soon as I flipped up the screen. Logged on and tried to shut it down just to realize that the machine comes back on 2 seconds after completed shut down. I tried this several times to see if it was repeatable, and yes it is. Behavior is same every time. It's the same regardless of choosing shut down, hibernate or sleep. Always 2 seconds after the light on power button goes out, power comes back on.

BIOS wise, 1.2.10 or 1.2.14 release behaves equal. I have tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults and BIOS defaults as well.

Operating system wise, I've tried reinstalling the machine with both the Microsoft install image (The Microsoft tool that prepares a USB drive as Win 10 installation media) and the image supplied by Dell via the support pages. No difference. I've tried to stay on drivers supplied by Windows update, as well as manually installing everything from Dell support site. No difference. Findings from google refer to "Fast boot" setting in windows but I did not get any improvement from either settings of this.

I even went as far as tried to run Ubuntu on the laptop to see if the behavior is OS agnostic, and yes it seems. Shut down from the menu of the Ubuntu desktop gives the same result. 2 seconds after power led goes out, the power returns.

Even when in the BIOS settings menu, I can do a short press of the power button to request a shut down and reach the same result. 2 seconds after power led coming off, system is by itself restarting.

The only way to shut down this computer is to do a long press on the power button. If I do that, the machine shuts down and stays off.

Last thing to share here is that inside the BIOS interface, there is a power state log. In there I can see that the system has powered off at a certain timestamp and that the associated reason is something like "ACPI Power off" or similar (don't have the machine here at hand right now". Immediately after that, there is a power on event but the reason is listed as "Not applicable". I interpret this that there is something actually making a signal to the system to start up, rather than a hardware fault. Possibly a BIOS bug.

My patience is rather much consumed with this as I do not see any more things to try. I think next stop is the workshop for this machine but I cannot be without it for the next week so I'll need to keep it with me some time still.

62 Posts

October 4th, 2016 05:00

What worked consistently for me when in the 'won't power down-auto reboot' situation was to unplug the AC adaptor and only then power down.

No idea why. I'm awaiting a full replacement, this is but one of the issues I keep encountering.

That said, the BIOS for this laptop is extremely buggy and they have done a couple of very messy releases so far. I am still running A06 as this does not have brightness flickering for me. The one introduced after this seems to cause or exacerbate this. A later BIOS update made the laptop not charge > 60%, fixed in yet another release. So yeah, might very well be a BIOS issue.

October 5th, 2016 02:00

Thank you for that. I've tried BIOS A10 (1.2.10) and A13 (1.2.14) so far. I've found that older BIOS versions can be found from downloads.dell.com/.../xps-15-9550-laptop.html and will try to install A06 (1.2.0) later this week.

October 6th, 2016 01:00

Yesterday I tried all older BIOS versions back to  01.00.00 without improvement.

I'll try to stay patient and wait for an update beyond 1.2.14 to see if anything changes. If not, or if I lose my patience, I'll send the machine in.

64 Posts

November 27th, 2016 11:00

rborgmaster, I have the same issue as you on my refurbished XPS 15 9550 from Dell Outlet.  I have BIOS A13 (2.1.14) and I too have some flickering of the backlight, and the laptop keeps being on (warm) when I open it after sleeping by closing the lid. I have the 4k display.  I've had one time that I shut the lid with no power connected and the battery was at 10%, the other times were with power connected. I've only had it a week.

I found an old thread that talked about issuing commands like "powercfg -lastwake" at a command prompt and I get zero indicators that any specific thing has woken the laptop.

I can switch it off from the Start>On/Off>Shutdown command which, so far, it doesn't seem to wake from.

489 Posts

November 27th, 2016 14:00

en.community.dell.com/.../19997963

I've had similar problems recently. Powercfg debugging didn't show any cause for the wake. The problem seemed to go away after turning off fast startup. But I'm not sure because this problem wasn't showing up all the time, so it might have disappeared due to sth else which I wasn't aware of.

Check if Fast startup is disabled by typing "powercfg -availablesleepstates" in elevated cmd prompt.

64 Posts

November 27th, 2016 15:00

Hmmm, I thought I'd already turned off fast startup, in Windows 10 control panel the box for what the power buttons or closing the lid do shows an empty check box against Fast Startup.  However, when I typed "powercfg -availablesleepstates" in an elevated command prompt, I got this...

C:\windows\system32>powercfg -availablesleepstates

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

Hybrid Sleep

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

64 Posts

November 27th, 2016 16:00

sparksdls, thanks that makes sense and, on my system, hibernate is on so maybe it's hibernate that is causing the issue.

44 Posts

November 27th, 2016 16:00

On my 9350,  I show the same available but I have disabled hibernate and turned off Fast Startup - so it may indicate just that the system supports these states, not what is enabled.

November 28th, 2016 00:00

There are various issues regarding power/sleep/hibernate on the XPS 9550 (also for other XPS's). My case is very static, in sense that behavior does not change. Always the same and is not affected by disabling neither fastboot, hibernation or sleep. No wakeup events are present and issue still appears under a different OS. Once the machine power light goes out, the machine stays shut for 2 seconds and then the light comes on again.

I cannot see that this would be anything else but a BIOS issue (unless hardware fault).

489 Posts

November 28th, 2016 00:00

Yes powercfg -availablesleepstates still shows Fast startup available, my bad.

www.tenforums.com/.../4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

I understand Fast startup requires Hibernate.

I've disabled Fast startup but have Hibernate enabled.

In the past I've experienced wakes most commonly from Sleep, sometimes from Hibernation, and on a few occasions also after Shutdown.

489 Posts

November 28th, 2016 01:00

Do you get a Power-Troubleshooter event in the Event log \ System, and how long it takes from Sleep to Wake Time? My examples were around 8 s (perceptually, the waking did seem to occur in about two seconds after going silent).

For instance:

Event log \ System:

Information 22/11/2016 22:13:42 Power-Troubleshooter 1 None

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎22T21:13:22.481918500Z

Wake Time: ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎22T21:13:40.495506200Z

Wake Source: Unknown

64 Posts

November 28th, 2016 04:00

So, I shut the lid on my XPS 15 last night around 8:57 pm last night and when I came to it this morning, it was on and warm - it was plugged into power.  When I look at the Eveng viewer I get

8:57:03 Event ID 42 - The system is entering sleep. - Sleep Reason: Button or Lid

8:57:03 Event ID 1 - The system time has changed to ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎28T01:57:01.500000000Z from ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎28T01:57:03.718164400Z. - Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.

8:57:04 Event ID 107 - The system has resumed from sleep.

11:57:02 Event ID 1 - The system time has changed to ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎28T04:57:02.500000000Z from 2016‎-‎11‎-‎28T01:57:04.533529200Z. - Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.

The event 107 makes it look like it woke up 1 second after I closed the lid but it was definitely off - I peered through the crack in the lid and saw that the power button light was off.  So I think it woke up at 11:57:02, logged the wrong (old) time in the event viewer, and then updated the time from the real time calendar clock (RTCC) IC, maybe it's the RTCC IC that's waking the device up?

It would be nice for Dell to chip in on this thread... is anyone there?

November 28th, 2016 05:00

I'm sure mine would be something similar (8 sec) if I tried it, as I always see power indicator coming back after 2 seconds from going out.

I don't know how similar the XPS 15 9550 is to the XPS 13 9350 under the shell, but if people are experiencing the same issue on XPS 13 they might have received a fix for it... There was a new BIOS released last week

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

On that particular BIOS, I find fix #3 particularly interesting. Hope we can get the same thing fixed on XPS 15 9550.

1. Correct Storage information in the Pre-boot Diagnostic test
  2. Improve BIOS Recovery feature
  3. System stability during Sleep

489 Posts

November 28th, 2016 14:00

My 9550 is waking again ;(

489 Posts

November 29th, 2016 00:00

And after the "hard restart" (5 sec holding down the power button) sleep is working again, I suppose temporarily.

No Events found!