Highlighted
3 Cadmium

[XPS 15 9550] Sleep issue after hard reset

I am getting a repeating cold-boot-from-sleep issue on the XPS 15 9550. 

Now and then when I try to log in to a website which requires a certificate with MSIE11, the lsass process gets runaway slowly hogging up all the memory and can't be killed, logon or shutdown doesn't work. So I use a hard shutdown (5 sec pwr button).

Subsequently, the laptop can't wake from sleep anymore, cold-boots instead. Can't tell if it shuts down when going into sleep, during sleep, or upon wake - there's no sleep led indicator, and the unexpected restart time in the Event log is sometimes inconsistent. 

I found a workaround is to reflash BIOS (the same one works). Resetting BIOS might work too, but I'd need to adjust settings again. 

I don't need help, but it'd be great if Dell could fix things so that sleep would work and messing with BIOS wouldn't be needed.

I'm using the Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD in AHCI mode with the Samsung NVMe driver v1.4 (there seem to be freezing issues with the latest 2.1).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: [XPS 15 9550] Sleep issue after hard reset

I am having the same issues when my xps 9550 laptop wakes from sleep. The problem only started a week ago. I'm not sure why. I haven't installed anything in the recent past.

@SAMOS1111 When you reset your BIOS did you lose any info on your laptop? Where there any repercussions that I should be aware of? Down time is critical for me since this is my work laptop.
Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

RE: [XPS 15 9550] Sleep issue after hard reset

Reflashing the BIOS didn't change anything.

I guess resetting it would reset to default values, and one would have to re-make any desired changes.  

If you rely on it, a full backup is in place before you start. Doing backups is a good idea anyway.

0 Kudos