Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2015 11:00

XPS 15 9550 Spacebar non-responsiveness

I've had my 9550 (i7 Touch) for about 3 weeks now and the spacebar has been one of several nagging issues. 

Unless I reliably hit it dead center I get sporadic recognition of key spaces, or alternatively double-spaces.

I haven't had any luck with Dell phone support.  Is this a design issue or do I have a legitimate problem on my hands? 

Most of the day is spent in MS Word and Excel and the lack of a properly functioning spacebar is a severe nuisance.  I've noticed the issue is worse as I hit the key closer to the sides or on the lower half (closer to the palm rest).  I have never had issues with other laptops, dell or otherwise.

Do I need to call and pester phone support?  Any other avenues I can pursue?

December 4th, 2015 07:00

I too have a 9550 XPS 15 (non-touch) and have had issues with the spacebar.  It's just not bouncy. As previously stated, I often miss spaces and sometimes get double spaces. 

Looking forward to hearing a response from Dell on this!

1 Message

December 19th, 2015 04:00

I have the same issuewith my xps 9550 i7 touch. I regularly use the right side of the space bar. I've had this laptop a week and along with the issue of occasionally not typing spaces, it makes a little squeak each time i press it. It's getting annoying, and although I love the laptopI'm really debating on returning it. DidDell respondat all on this?

11 Posts

December 19th, 2015 07:00

I ended up returning the laptop for a replacement. It is noticeably improved. However, still not as good on the tactile feedback as one expects and even compared to the XPS 13 and 12.

This new one works though, so I'm fine. Outside the 30 day window they want you to send the pic to the dell repair center. This would have been frustrating.

Overall the keyboard issue is a disappointing lack of attention to detail on an otherwise great product.

5 Posts

December 19th, 2015 11:00

I also have had issues on my XPS 15 9550 with the space bar being unresponsive, but this was only on start up of the computer. I usually tap the space bar to get to the login screen, but sometimes only the touchpad will respond and allow me to reach the login.

December 20th, 2015 08:00

I've had my XPS 15 9550 for about two months now, and the space bar issue has always bothered me.  I can't seem to fix this and now have to send it back to Dell... (Assuming they'll get back to my service request...) Super frustrating for a computer that cost me 2k...

1 Message

December 31st, 2015 13:00

I've had mine for about 1 1/2 months now and have been experiencing the space bar issue. Very frustrating, I find myself typing 2 words together about every few words because the left and right sides of the space bar don't respond unless pressed very hard. Sounds minor but for somebody that is typing 10 hours a day and for a 2k laptop it's annoying. sutherlandwill did you get yours back yet and was the issue resolved? I have until Jan 14th to return this and am debating if I should swap out for a new one or just get a different laptop.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2016 13:00

same problem here guys,

every 2 words, I'm missing one space....

it's the most frustrating issue ever experienced! Dell, please respond with the appropriate actions and suggestion.

thanx

February 15th, 2016 21:00

Has anyone come across a solution or fix for this?  Is driving me insane, so much time lost to productivity.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2016 06:00

This problem was driving me crazy, so I decided to do something about it. I followed this video:

This helped remove the space bar key. Basically, there is tape under the key which pops up and prevents the key from fully depressing. So I took a piece of notepad paper, cut it to double the width of the rectangle under the key (so when I folded it in half, it was roughly the same size of the rectangle under the middle of the key. Then I reinstalled, the key, and bingo, the spacebar is now 100% responsive, and I'm using it to type this message. Normally, it would miss spaces and tons of my words would be stuck together. It was a little stiff at first, but after using it like 20 times, the spacebar is only slightly more stiff than a regular key, but it is not very noticeable, and well worth the tradeoff to have it 100% responsive. Hope this helps someone.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2016 07:00

Good to know. I work from home and literally could not send my computer away for a week and a half right now, but my fix will suffice until I have 2 weeks to wait. Good to know they acknowledge this issue and will fix it, did they fix your laptop or send you a new one? Just wondering because I have mine setup perfectly, and would prefer they just fix my current one.

February 16th, 2016 07:00

I sent my computer back to Dell under the warranty.  They got it fixed and sent back to me in about a week and a half.

Previously I had tried the at home fix, and only made the problem worse.  I'd recommend just sending it in if you have the time to spare. 

February 17th, 2016 03:00

Exactly the same issue as everyone else is stating here.  

I've actually gone through two xps 15's in the space of three days.  The space key on both laptops would not always register a space if hit from the right and could also register two space when hit dead centre.

This obviously makes typing very annoying - we're a software development team and was wanting to use the xps15 as our reference laptop for all devs as everything else about it is spot on.  This would have killed productivity let alone the stress caused from frustration at always having to go back and correct the space every 25-30 words.

Lucky the Microsoft store Sydney makes returns and refunds so incredibly fast and easy.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2016 12:00

Thank you very much!!!!!!

your guide helped me to solve the issue. It's very easy guys, in 1 minute you solved a problem of months!

I've used a credit card either to remove the key from the keyboard, and secondly used the same credit card to push the three cords inside. It was very easy...but just be carefully not to push it hard....these kind of cords are sensitive enough.

Now the problem solved!!! thank you man!!! :)

1 Message

February 24th, 2016 20:00

The video in fact don't solve the problem, because the tape will bump up again after several days of use. However, your method perfectly solved it. Now there is no worry about the tape under the space bar! Thank you very much!

1 Message

March 13th, 2016 07:00

So what exactly was the solution? I really do not understand where the piece of paper should be placed, or how it solved the problem :(

No Events found!