Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2017 18:00

XPS 15-9550, TB16, Random stuttering and freezing

Ever since I got the TB16 I noticed that whenever I watch a video it would cause the machine to stutter. I notice this stutter when I initially plug the TB16 into my laptop but then it appears again when I'm watching a video. I've tried searching for a solution but nothing has worked. I've updated the bios and drivers (for the XPS 15-9550 and TB16) but the problem still remains. This stuttering and freezing would also happen but during normal usage as well but only very rarely (my machine actually froze while I was writing this post :( ).  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 13th, 2017 08:00

Read through this, "How to Use and Troubleshoot the TB16". Then read through the "Manual installation of Dell Thunderbolt Docking Station drivers" to make sure you have everything updated. Check the part number on the TB16. If the part number is DW5G3, contact Technical Support and get it exchanged for part WW4XY.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2017 17:00

Hi Chris,

I've went through both of those docs and updated the drivers but still no luck. Also the part number is 452-BCNU (assuming that the part number is the same as the item number). Is there anything else I can try? Or any other options?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 14th, 2017 04:00

452-BCNU = 3GMVT = TB16

I meant the actual TB16 AC adapter, not the TB16 itself. If the AC adapter part number is DW5G3, contact Technical Support and get it exchanged for part WW4XY. If you already have WW4XY, then that is not the issue. I would look to the laptop drivers as the culprit.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2017 18:00

Hmm so I looked up the part numbers and it seems like both of those are for the 180w adapter. The one I have is 240W. Model number ga240pe1-00. Would these be any issue with this? If not how would I go about investigating the drivers. I've updated all the drivers mentioned in the articles you linked earlier.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2017 09:00

I have this issue with my TB16. The stutter effects everything, including the keyboard. When I plug in a usb hard drive, but slows to a crawl. It doesn't charge my laptop either.

No Events found!