Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2017 22:00

XPS 15 9550 - Thunderbolt port not working - TB16

I'm having issues getting the TB16 to work with the XPS 15 9550. I successfully installed all the drivers in the proper order as documented prior to plugging in the TB16 for the first time.

1. I've verified that I indeed do have a Thundrerbolt port - there is a Thunderbolt symbol next to the USB-C port.
  2. When I do plug in the TB16 the power button on it will power the system off/on.
  3. I've used a usb-c to Displayport adapter and a usb-c to usb 3.0 adapter with a flash drive. Both worked successfully so the basic functionality of the usb-c port is working.

When I plug in the TB16 I never got an authentication window pop-up. In the Thunderbolt software it shows no attached devices.

The details setting in the Thunderbolt software looks fine, it appears to have the proper driver and firmware levels.

When I check the Thunderbolt driver it says that 'the hardware device is not connected to the computer'.

I'm at a loss - everything looks good except for the fact that nothing happens when I plugin the TB16. I'm wondering if there's a hardware problem with the Thunderbolt controller itself? I'd appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 30th, 2017 00:00

You might open the Thunderbolt software and set it to allow all devices.  I reset my system and redid the TB16 and it shows the cable and dock as approved devices.

It was not hard for me.  The thunderbolt controller is on the computer.  You show some correct info for that controller, although since I have a 9365, that specific info may be different, but you do show a different controller generation..

7 Posts

March 31st, 2017 16:00

I can see in the BIOS you can allow all Thunderbolt devices but I don't see any option like this in the Thunderbolt software. Also what do you mean by 'reset my system' - reinstalling Windows?

I've been using a USB-C to DIsplayport adapter for over a year. I remember the system asking some question when I first plugged it in but I don't remember the question or what I replied. I'm wondering if the USB-C port somehow is now reconfigured as a 'Display Port over USB-C' type connection and now won't work with the Thunderbolt only cable.in the TB16? The following is from the 'How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16)' -

NOTE: The Dell Thunderbolt dock will not function on a device with Display Port over USB Type-C with the current Thunderbolt only cable. Future Dell Docking Station Connector cables for the Dell Thunderbolt Dock will be a universal USB Type-C /Thunderbolt 3 compliant, allowing the dock to connect to either Display Port over USB Type-C or Thunderbolt 3 ports.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 31st, 2017 17:00

I was not suggesting you reset your system, just mentioned I have set mine up twice.

I don't have any experience with the USB C device, but it the new driver will not overwrite the old one, can you uninstall the old driver?

Was there a date on the comment about the Thunderbolt cable?  My cable has the Thunderbolt symbol.

7 Posts

April 1st, 2017 14:00

My cable has the Thunderbolt symbol also. I wish someone from Dell would help and look into this. When I called support they wouldn't talk to me because the warranty had expired  on my XPS 15 9550! Support wouldn't discuss the TB16 that I had just purchased. I was able to get Dellcares to replace the original TB16 but the replacement acts exactly the same as the original and won't connect. ! purchased my XPS 15 9550 in November 2015 - Dell should just admit the TB16 doesn't work with and isn't supported with early XPS 15 9550's!

No Events found!