Highlighted
sebandrei
1 Copper

XPS 15 9550 : Unable to connect to 5Ghz WiFi Network

Dear Community,

I am trying to get my XPS to connect to my 5 GHz home wifi network because there is far less interference and the speeds are therefore much higher. However, every time I try to connect, Windows 10 gives me the message Unable to connect to this network. The system can see the network but it refuses to connect. Other devices, such as my mobile phones connect to the network with no problem.

Here are my system details:

• XPS 15 9550 (Skylake)
  • Win 10
  • Dell Wireless 1830 802.11ac Wireless Adapter (version 1.566.0.0)

When I set the same network (same router) to the 2.4 GHz band, the connection works without a problem. It seems that only the 5 GHz band is causing issues. I'm therefore guessing its an issue with the network card. However, I'm sure that it does support 5 GHz networks. Has anyone else encountered similar issues? Are there other drivers I can try?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

RE: XPS 15 9550 : Unable to connect to 5Ghz WiFi Network

Does the paperwork on the device say it is Dual Band or does it show that in Device Manager?  Since it seems to be an AC device I would guess it is.

When you try to connect does it ask for a password?

The higher frequency network does not have the same output power as the 2.4 GHz so you may need to move the computer to a different location.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos