Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2015 13:00

XPS 15 9550 With Black Screen Issue

Hi,

I have a  XPS 15 9550 UHD, 512GB SSD and using the laptop without major problems for  3 days. Today I have tried to boot into safe mode for windows and pressed the F8 button randomly on the start. It didnt work and i have retried the boot. I might have randomly pressed the Function buttons like F5-F6-F7-F8 etc.  But right now the the screen is always black, no signs of any Dell Logo or bios login. I can see that there is power on the notebook, fans are working, there is lights on the keyboard but the screen is black and there is absolutely no signs of boot.

I also have press and hold the FN + Power button. It didnt work. I have tried everything but its not booting. What could be wrong here? Is removing the battery ( I hope the warranty will not be void if i open the backside of the laptop ) and retry the powering on a good idea?

BTW I have purchased this laptop in US and return to my country Turkey. Is the DELL warranty valid Internationally?

Best regards

1 Message

April 2nd, 2016 16:00

OMG YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!

My XPS 15 9550 display totally *** out (it seemed), first (after a couple of weeks) losing touch capability, and then looking like multi-colored grains of sand immediately upon power on.

I could not get it to go past the colored sand, no matter what I tried (and Dell support went through diagnostics and gave up as well - said to send it in...)

Instead, I tried your procedure and it TOTALLY WORKED.

YOU are a HERO, saved my computer (and my sanity!)

1 Message

April 5th, 2016 14:00

I have this problem too, happens every 3-4 days once. I can only do a hard shutdown by pressing long time the power button. When will the official solution be available?

Thanks!

23 Posts

April 6th, 2016 13:00

When I bricked my XPS 15 9550, I assumed random failure.  Upon reading this thread I realized that I had executed the exact same sequence (Repeated F8 to try and get into safe mode), resulting in a bricked laptop.  How a series of keystrokes can brick a machine is beyond me???

Has anyone found/tried the CMOS batter removal on the XPS 15 9550? I was in the machine the other day and didn't see the battery anywhere.  I'm lined up for a motherboard replacement, but it's on backorder so I have a bricked laptop for almost 2 weeks :/

June 19th, 2016 03:00

I have this problem but Xafloc's answer doesn't help me at all. I rarely use the F keys unless technical support advises me to. I think that it has to do with NVIDIA --as all of my other problems. I've seen that when they get other pc it resolves itself but being already June I doubt that it is a solution and I should just send it back to get a reinburse. It's a shame since I liked the hardware and its weight but I can't stand to hard reset it several times a day just because they can't solve their issues after six months.

15 Posts

June 21st, 2016 20:00

While the second one didn't have a damaged bezel, and the blb was acceptable, the uniformity was almost identical; green/yellow on the left side, and red/magenta on the right. 192.168.l.l

1 Message

August 7th, 2016 17:00

thanks so much......just held down on/off button for count of eight and the light went off . turned it back on and I have my screen back.

August 12th, 2016 05:00

Could anyone explain how you downgraded BIOS after laptop was bricked?

After bricking I can't do anything with it except screen test (D + power on). I can't run BIOS and booting options. I can't run Windows. I can't load from USB flash.

Could you advise how you downgraded BIOS in such situation? Thanks.

3 Posts

August 15th, 2016 06:00

I am wondering the same thing.

I just got my branch new 9550 XPS 15. Pressed F8 on boot, bam, bricked.

How can I downgrade the BIOS now?

I see these instructions for the 9530 https://blog.jmwhite.co.uk/2015/08/09/dell-xps-9530-uefi-bios-recovery/ but they don't apply to 9550. The bios files don't have writehdrfile writeromfile parameters.

September 1st, 2016 05:00

This is dell we are talking about? Call them and try to get it fixed and they will asap? Or call Microsoft? Sorry for the hassle! Thanks for helping.

3 Posts

There has to be a way to reflash the bios, like in the 9530 case.

In any case, the good thing is that the support service is very good. In my case, they came the next day I reported and fixed it by replacing the motherboard on the spot.

You should get decent customer support in ireland too. I bought mine from Paris and got it fixed in Greece.

3 Posts

Yeah, dell. At least here in Greece support is really good and hassle free.

In the same boat. Pretty screwed actually, as I just left for ireland to study abroad. This is absolutely ridiculous. We all need to complain to the BBB and the FTC. Absolutely garbage company. If anyone has a fix or solution to this madness please respond quickly.

September 2nd, 2016 19:00

Thanks, managed to get a hold of someone. Apparently I need to transfer the warranty and send my computer in. The quickest it will be fixed is 2 weeks... Was this the same timeframe for yourself?

1 Message

May 5th, 2017 01:00

I have the exact same problem as the original post

it is a 15 month old machine and Dell are saying up to $1500 to fix it!

XPS 15 9550 512GB SSD

Tried to Boot into safe mode for windows,  pressing the F8 button randomly on the start.

Tried getting into the Bios with F2

Now Black screen on Boot up

There is power on the notebook, fans & Keyboard are working,

D and Power switch runs display test and this is working.

Dell tried Bios recover on the Phone

May 6th, 2017 20:00

As someone who went through this nightmare, I can confirm that you will definitely need to call Dell and get a hardware replacement. The motherboard needs to be replaced. If they are quoting you, call again and ask to speak to a manager. Mine was within warranty, but I can offer some tips for your situation. If they do nothing upon calling again, get the name of the people you spoke with, and report them/submit a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) about the company. Be sure to do it asap because Dell's customer service people who respond to complaints may be able to extend the warranty without issue if it is within a reasonable time frame. Also there is a place on Dells website where you can request a lengthened warranty. Try that and explain the situation in detail, focusing on the fact that this is a firmware glitch which ruined the hardware, which was written by Dell,thus it is not a true hardware failure. The hardware failure is 100% due to Dell's incompetence. This company is taking advantage of consumers since the early release of this machine. This is a known hardware issue by Dell, it is their responsibility to replace your product is the defect is known to be faulty at any point that the user may try to hit F8. It is outrageous in my opinion. The only thing everyday people like us can do is complain to our best resources (FTC and BBB), never buy Dell again, and tell everyone we know about our terrible experience with Dell. You may have more power to get this fixed without paying the unfair and insulting fee of $1500, you just need to utilize your resources effectively. With that being said, Dell may still mess you up. Guess you have learned the lesson I learned not too long ago. Best of luck.

No Events found!