danmilon
Copper

RE: XPS 15 9550 With Black Screen Issue

Jump to solution

There has to be a way to reflash the bios, like in the 9530 case.

In any case, the good thing is that the support service is very good. In my case, they came the next day I reported and fixed it by replacing the motherboard on the spot.

You should get decent customer support in ireland too. I bought mine from Paris and got it fixed in Greece.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This is dell we are talking about? Call them and try to get it fixed and they will asap? Or call Microsoft? Sorry for the hassle! Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
danmilon
Copper

Jump to solution

Yeah, dell. At least here in Greece support is really good and hassle free.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks, managed to get a hold of someone. Apparently I need to transfer the warranty and send my computer in. The quickest it will be fixed is 2 weeks... Was this the same timeframe for yourself?

0 Kudos
adrianjones
Copper

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem as the original post

it is a 15 month old machine and Dell are saying up to $1500 to fix it!

XPS 15 9550 512GB SSD

Tried to Boot into safe mode for windows,  pressing the F8 button randomly on the start.

Tried getting into the Bios with F2

Now Black screen on Boot up

There is power on the notebook, fans & Keyboard are working,

D and Power switch runs display test and this is working.

Dell tried Bios recover on the Phone

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

As someone who went through this nightmare, I can confirm that you will definitely need to call Dell and get a hardware replacement. The motherboard needs to be replaced. If they are quoting you, call again and ask to speak to a manager. Mine was within warranty, but I can offer some tips for your situation. If they do nothing upon calling again, get the name of the people you spoke with, and report them/submit a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) about the company. Be sure to do it asap because Dell's customer service people who respond to complaints may be able to extend the warranty without issue if it is within a reasonable time frame. Also there is a place on Dells website where you can request a lengthened warranty. Try that and explain the situation in detail, focusing on the fact that this is a firmware glitch which ruined the hardware, which was written by Dell,thus it is not a true hardware failure. The hardware failure is 100% due to Dell's incompetence. This company is taking advantage of consumers since the early release of this machine. This is a known hardware issue by Dell, it is their responsibility to replace your product is the defect is known to be faulty at any point that the user may try to hit F8. It is outrageous in my opinion. The only thing everyday people like us can do is complain to our best resources (FTC and BBB), never buy Dell again, and tell everyone we know about our terrible experience with Dell. You may have more power to get this fixed without paying the unfair and insulting fee of $1500, you just need to utilize your resources effectively. With that being said, Dell may still mess you up. Guess you have learned the lesson I learned not too long ago. Best of luck.

0 Kudos
Alex Dixon
Copper

Jump to solution

I had the same issue. Dell came out and replaced the motherboard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dr.Boyd
Bronze

Jump to solution

Has there been any response from Dell (or a class action) regarding this defective laptop?

0 Kudos
Dr.Boyd
Bronze

Jump to solution

Were you still in warranty? I got mine in 12/2015.

0 Kudos