mj_powfiend
2 Bronze

RE: XPS 15 9550 With Black Screen Issue

Jump to solution

This is not any sort of a suggested answer. This should be removed and better advice, FROM DELL, needs to come forward. 

Too many people are having the same issue to be ignored.

This 1/2 way, *** solution; should not even be able to be registered as suggessted.

0 Kudos
mj_powfiend
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Now, more to the point, WHAT ARE DOING ABOUT THIS DELL?

None of us deserve - after spending upwards of $1500 on these devices - to have to worry about our data being lost and damage to our devices, from having to force shut down 2 to 5, 6, 7, 8 times a day. Similarly, nobody should be having to PAY for some <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> service to have their mother boards replaced, or given some cheesy runaround solution from your scripts.

I want real results, or I'm done with this thing. It's a great device, but the complications involved with your entire customer service division, these technical issues, and lack of results are not creating a favorable opinion.

I have the same issue, that became most recurrent with the latest bios. Prior to that, I'd get black screen issues when connected through the HDMI display or when as a standalone device. Either is unacceptable for a BRAND NEW machine - less than 3 weeks in my possession. 

0 Kudos
TarkanVeKurdu
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

My problem was exactly the same as yours. I pressed the F8 while booting. I powered down and it didnt start anymore. No dell logo, no other screens. It completely goes dark. 

Anyway I solved my problem by returning back the laptop and buy a new one. I am feeling like there are many defects on the first products and these are solved on the latest ones. I dont have a major problem on my current xps 15 9550 now. 

View solution in original post

chrispete
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Cboykin:  Found another thread here that started up at the same time as the problem.  If you disable the Nvidia 960m graphics card, the computer starts working perfectly.  Not a great solution, but obviously something got updated/changed sometime around the morning of the 13th that makes the supplemental graphics card unstable.  Hopefully Dell will get something in the pipeline to fix the issue, the computer was unusable with the 960m enabled.

0 Kudos
kosmas.valianos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Same issue like you. Screen goes black and the laptop is totally unresponsive. It is actually bricked. I need to press and hold the power button in order to brutally shut it down.

I disabled the Nvidia graphics driver from the device manager so I am forcing system to not use the Nvidia rather the Intel graphics thingy. It works fine but of course this is just a workaround. We haven't paid a couple of thousands to have the strong Nvidia graphics disconnected...

The randomness makes sense as system changes from the Intel graphics to the strong Nvidia when it feels like it.

Dell shall provide new firmware asap or replace our laptops. This is not a simple bug that you can just sit and wait for the next software driver update.

0 Kudos
patte297
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Same problem as cvboykin and kosmas.valianos.

Only had this laptop for 1 month, and I get Impending black screen (with garbled noise if playing music) after the screen almost "twitches" side to side - usually after <5min using the laptop. Have to hold power button to shut down, and then I get another 5 minutes to try to back up my computer.

About to call Dell to complain and luckily found this thread.

Typed in Drivers to Cortana, Device Manager, Display Adapters, Disabled NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M driver. So far no crashing. 

Is there an update NVIDIA has put out yet? Or is this a dell problem? 

This only started after I updated to the latest BIOS.

0 Kudos
corygross
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Same exact problem for me with my XPS 15 9550 after updating the BIOS.   Disabling the Nvidia card stops the black screen crashes.  Driver updates so far haven't helped.

rodjb
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Disabling the Nvidia card did not work for me.

Reverting firmware to 1.1.15 seems to have resolved the problem!

0 Kudos
corygross
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Is your computer still stable after reverting your firmware?  Where did you get version 1.1.15?

Disabling the Nvidia card did not work for me.

Reverting firmware to 1.1.15 seems to have resolved the problem!

0 Kudos
Yngfwuhr
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Same problem here! Black screens of death, but working after disabling the Nvidia card. Dell should fix this ASAP! I'm very dissatisfied at the moment -- I paid a lot for this computer that I cannot use as I want. 😞 If someone knows a better solution than disabling a major part of the computer's hardware, then please post! Thanks!

0 Kudos