microchic
2 Bronze

RE: XPS 15 9550 With Black Screen Issue

Jump to solution

OMG YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!

My XPS 15 9550 display totally *** out (it seemed), first (after a couple of weeks) losing touch capability, and then looking like multi-colored grains of sand immediately upon power on.

I could not get it to go past the colored sand, no matter what I tried (and Dell support went through diagnostics and gave up as well - said to send it in...)

Instead, I tried your procedure and it TOTALLY WORKED.

YOU are a HERO, saved my computer (and my sanity!)

chipviciao
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have this problem too, happens every 3-4 days once. I can only do a hard shutdown by pressing long time the power button. When will the official solution be available?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Xafloc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

When I bricked my XPS 15 9550, I assumed random failure.  Upon reading this thread I realized that I had executed the exact same sequence (Repeated F8 to try and get into safe mode), resulting in a bricked laptop.  How a series of keystrokes can brick a machine is beyond me???

Has anyone found/tried the CMOS batter removal on the XPS 15 9550? I was in the machine the other day and didn't see the battery anywhere.  I'm lined up for a motherboard replacement, but it's on backorder so I have a bricked laptop for almost 2 weeks 😕

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Wow that is unbelievable and unfortunate. Hope things will get straightened out for you.

Just a note for others:

F8 to get into Safe Mode has been disabled in Windows 10. You can enable it but it requires using BCEDIT to modify the boot process. Otherwise the standard way to get into Safe Mode is to hold the Shift key while pressing the Power > Restart button. When you get to the "Choose Options", select "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Startup Settings" > "Enable Safe Mode", then reboot and select Safe Mode. Of course this does not help you if you cannot boot your system initially. In that case you need a bootable CD or flash drive containing a Windows 10 Recovery Drive or Windows 10 Installation media.

JohnD

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
LylaBerenice
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have this problem but Xafloc's answer doesn't help me at all. I rarely use the F keys unless technical support advises me to. I think that it has to do with NVIDIA --as all of my other problems. I've seen that when they get other pc it resolves itself but being already June I doubt that it is a solution and I should just send it back to get a reinburse. It's a shame since I liked the hardware and its weight but I can't stand to hard reset it several times a day just because they can't solve their issues after six months.

0 Kudos
newstart028
2 Iron

Jump to solution

While the second one didn't have a damaged bezel, and the blb was acceptable, the uniformity was almost identical; green/yellow on the left side, and red/magenta on the right. 192.168.l.l

0 Kudos
simonamoll
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

thanks so much......just held down on/off button for count of eight and the light went off . turned it back on and I have my screen back.

sergeyzwezdin
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Could anyone explain how you downgraded BIOS after laptop was bricked?

After bricking I can't do anything with it except screen test (D + power on). I can't run BIOS and booting options. I can't run Windows. I can't load from USB flash.

Could you advise how you downgraded BIOS in such situation? Thanks.

0 Kudos
danmilon
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I am wondering the same thing.

I just got my branch new 9550 XPS 15. Pressed F8 on boot, bam, bricked.

How can I downgrade the BIOS now?

I see these instructions for the 9530 https://blog.jmwhite.co.uk/2015/08/09/dell-xps-9530-uefi-bios-recovery/ but they don't apply to 9550. The bios files don't have writehdrfile writeromfile parameters.

0 Kudos
ryanjdesalvo
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

In the same boat. Pretty screwed actually, as I just left for ireland to study abroad. This is absolutely ridiculous. We all need to complain to the BBB and the FTC. Absolutely garbage company. If anyone has a fix or solution to this madness please respond quickly.

0 Kudos