Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

November 22nd, 2017 17:00

XPS 15 9550 freezing and BSOD

Hi,

I paid a lot for this notebook and it freezes a LOT. MANY people online complain about this terrible computer. LOTS OF PEOPLE hate this computer, it freezes with no reason and BSOD are too frequently.

For some reason the battery in my notebook got fat and I had to remove it. After that my notebook freezes almost every time. I already did WIN 10 clean install and it freezes during the install.

I managed to make Win 8 to be installed but after it boots up, if I move the mouse around for some minutes it will freeze or show a BSOD.

I contacted a dell store and they didnt EVEN CARE taking a look what might be the problem, they just said: "send the motherboard to the garbage and buy a new one that we will kindly sell you for a prime price and charge you 2x to install it".

If you Google "dell xps 15 freezes" you will see how many people are being made of fool with this notebook. I cant believe a computer like this, with a high price could have SO MANY PROBLEMS.

The diagnostic tool at the boot up says there is no problem with the computer (except that it alerts me that the battery is not connected - of course, I disconnected it otherwise it would set fire in my apartment if I kept using it).

SO I COME HERE TO ASK FOR YOUR HELP OR A REFUND. GOOGLE THE TERMS I GAVE YOU, you will see TONS of people having the same problem. You are surely losing lots of potential customer at the future, if you dont solve this problem I will surely never EVER buy anything from dell and I will forbid anyone I know from buying from DELL.

16 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 17:00

NOTE: in the BSOD it shows "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR".

• 

16.7K Posts

November 27th, 2017 07:00

gilperon,

Click the link below tom download and install the latest bios version.

xps9550 Drivers

16 Posts

November 27th, 2017 08:00

I already did that, it took about 10 minutes to install all components of the bios.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2017 16:00

:emotion-2:

Which version of windows is on the system? Windows 8, 8.1  or 10?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2017 17:00

" I already did WIN 10 clean install and it freezes during the install "

This sound like a failing hard drive. How old is the computer ?

16 Posts

November 29th, 2017 03:00

It's not related to hardrive cause when I use a liveCD of linux (that runs only on RAM) it also freezes after some little time.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 29th, 2017 07:00

One of the symptoms of a failing hard drive / solid state drive is freezing. Faulty ram / memory also could cause freezing.Keep in mind, I'm only guessing here. Since you're able to boot into windows for a few minutes, please quickly try to get into task manager. If successful, use processes tab to identify which programs are consuming more memory, disk and Network in real time. Keep an eye out for the disk, Memory, CPU being around 100%. If either of them is around 100%, the system will either freeze, slow down or shutoff.

How To Use Task Manager (Official Dell Tech Support ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 29th, 2017 08:00

Also,

You could try to check the drive for errors. Please select Start and then Computer. Right click on the drive, click Properties, select Tools tab, and then select Check Now.

Note: I'm assuming windows 8 is on the system as of now.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 29th, 2017 08:00

If you aren't able to check the disk, CPU, memory in task manager, please try to boot into safe mode with networking and then check if the computer freezes.

How to Boot Into Safe Mode on Windows 8 or 10 (The Easy Way)

If the computer doesn't freeze, I suggest you try the follow steps below to fix the freezing problem:

First - Download and run free version of Malwarebytes - Official Site to eliminate any nasty malwares that cause a lot of problems such as freezing. 

Secondly - run the System file checker. It scan for any corrupted system files that could be causing problems and fix those corrupt files as well. It also known to fix files related to Memory Management

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)
b) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

Third - Run the check disk command to check and fix any possible hard drive corruption.

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)
b) In the command prompt type the following command: CHKDSK and press enter

Fourth - Run Windows Memory Diagnostic tool on the system.

Type mdsched (or Windows Memory Diagnostic) onto the search box, press enter.The Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool will be launched. 

16 Posts

November 29th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for your help. It does not freeze at bios nor at dell diagnostic tool at boot. If I select the diagnostic tool from dell at boot it does not find any error and my pc still still freezes when using inwodws. I already tried installing 8.1 and 10 and always have the problem. ALSO it was a pain in the a** trying to install windows 10 cause it would freeze almost evrytime during intallation.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 29th, 2017 09:00

Lastly, 

If the freezing occurred in safe mode:

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously until you see the BIOS setup.

In the BIOS, take notice if the system freezes. Also, there's a system clock ticking in BIOS. If the system freezes, then the clock would have frozen as well. If the system freezes while in BIOS,  I suspect there's a problem / issue with the motherboard.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 29th, 2017 10:00

How old is the system? 2 years or more?   

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After the quick tests finished in diagnostic, you click on hard drive and select Thorough Test Mode ? If no, please do so. If there's a error code, report back.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I already tried installing 8.1 and 10 and always have the problem. ALSO it was a pain in the a** trying to install windows 10 cause it would freeze almost evrytime during intallation.

I'm assuming you creating a windows 10 installation media from the Microsoft website? Also, windows 10 installation media is on a flash drive ?

Download Windows 10 - microsoft.com

16 Posts

November 29th, 2017 11:00

I will try the throwon test. This system has NVME ssd, it's pretty expensive, i really think it's not the curlprit. But I will give it a try and will be back to you shortly.

No Events found!