Highlighted
sheri66
1 Copper

RE: XPS 15 9550 touchpad issue that Dell apparently can't fix

I have the same problem. The touchpad lifts so high that it hurts the screen if I try to close the laptop. And the laptop easily gets to too hot; the fan keeps working with loud noise.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Get the battery out of the system and out of your home or office.  Then contact Dell -- they may well replace the battery even out of warranty - but get rid of the swollen batterey NOW -- it is a safety hazard.

0 Kudos
sheri66
1 Copper

Update - I just called Dell and they said they will mail me a box to send my laptop back to them to get the problem fixed. My laptop's warranty has expired and they still do it free of charge. The number I called is 1-8008226031.

0 Kudos
JRod8
1 Copper

Sheri66 is correct. I just called 1-800-822-6031 (the dell out of warranty support number), and they have confirmed this is a known issue. My computer is several months of out warranty but they are replacing the battery free of charge due to this being a known issue. Please call Dell ASAP as having a swollen battery is a huge safety concern.

dv8er
1 Copper

Wanted to add to this and confirm that Dell is acknowledging this as a known issue and is providing replacement battery service at no charge.  800-822-6031 - Let them know your trackpad is popping out due to a swollen battery. They'll send you a box to use to send your laptop back to them for battery replacement.

0 Kudos
dell123A
1 Copper

Hey! Read your posts (and everyone's comments) and I think I might be having the EXACT same problem right now. I made a post on Reddit about it hoping to get advice:

www.reddit.com/.../

0 Kudos
drmoshie
1 Copper

i have the same issue, xps 15 9550. Problem is I purchased the laptop in the US and now live in Germany...

The german online support page will not recognise the service tag number Smiley Sad

0 Kudos

Finally i got mine reapaired without cost even though i was 5 months out of warranty. At the first couple of contacts on this i got the information that i would need to cover the costs if i wanted it fixed. Also, the support people at first contact did not recognise that the click problems was related to battery.

Dell really need to work on their communication skills when something like this happens. Their silence in this thread is remarkable.

dannylittle
1 Copper

I wish I would have read this thread earlier.  My battery caused my trackpad to stop working.  I purchased a battery online and was unable to get the laptop to accept it even though it looked identical to the original, same writing and everything.  I called Dell just trying to get some help with the laptop refusing to charge the new battery and they told me they would send a box to ship it back in and they will repair the laptop.  I hope they have a different battery that won't swell!

0 Kudos
DannOh14
1 Copper

Just got off the phone with Dell, this is a known issue with the 9550 and they will replace it at no cost. However I have a 9530, and apparently they refuse to admit this is the same problem, and it will only be repaired at my cost.  Very disappointing, will for sure swing me away from Dell on my next purchase.

0 Kudos