Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 10th, 2016 05:00

XPS 15 9550 touchpad issue that Dell apparently can't fix

I've had my XPS15 since October, 2015.  The touchpad worked fine until 3 weeks ago when the mechanical click essentially stopped working--I can only get it to click by pushing very hard (10 times normal) along the very front edge.  It's physically broken, and it's not subtle.  It's essentially impossible to drag-and-drop, highlight text, or drag a scroll bar.

I called Dell and they had me ship it to Texas for repairs.  It came back 1 1/2 weeks later, but the touchpad still didn't work.  In fact, it was worse, as the front edge now sticks up 2-3 mm above the palmrest.  So, it doesn't work and it looks bad.

I called again and they had me ship it back to Texas.  It was returned yesterday, but the touchpad still doesn't click.  Per the paper inside the box, they replaced only the power supply and battery--I have no idea why.  (When I look online, it says they replaced the palmrest, but that apparently doesn't include the mechanical part of the touchpad.)

I called Dell again.  They want me to ship it back a third time.  Needless to say, I am losing faith.

Are there any other options?  I asked about taking it to a repair center local to me in Chicago, but they said there aren't any.  That's odd, as there are a bunch of them listed on the Dell service locator page.  At what point would it be reasonable to ask that the laptop be replaced?

July 16th, 2017 01:00

I'm starting to experience this problem as well - over the last couple of weeks clicking on the touchpad has become increasingly difficult.

July 16th, 2017 10:00

We purchased 6 XPS 15 laptops in August 2016 from Best Buy - 3 of them have had to have the battery replaced because of swelling affecting the touchpad. Why doesn't Dell recall the battery for replacement. Worried the the other 3 will need to be replaced too.

1 Message

July 22nd, 2017 01:00

Same problem here - trackpad coming up, with my 9550. Is Dell really waiting for the first batteries to explode and burn customers?

1 Message

July 25th, 2017 12:00

I too have a Dell XPS 9550 and the battery just started expanding after a year. Dell is sending a field technician to replace it under warranty in 48 hours. I guess they are aware of the issue and are fixing them now.

1 Message

July 25th, 2017 22:00

Another victim here - Dell XPS 9550 with the trackpad coming up and now impossible to click.  The warranty expired about 4 months ago.  It seems like the only service options are to extend or upgrade warranty?  Is there no way to start the process with Dell to address the issue without extending the warranty?

1 Message

July 31st, 2017 15:00

I'm also have this similar issue with my DELL XPS15 9550, it seems suddenly the touch pad is very difficult to press down.  The sensors on it are still working, but it does make some functions, particularly clicking and dragging, very difficult.  Like others have mentioned, this literally occurred overnight it was not a slow progression and it does appear that the touch pad is now slightly raised on the right side.  I called Dell, after an hour of transferring the ownership to me (apparently it was still owned by Microsoft, I bought it at the Microsoft store) and diagnostic tests, which essentially verified this was not a software issue, the technician gave me the number to discuss with an agent the possibility of extending my warranty.  I have yet to speak to them, however, this does seem to be a manufacturing defect related to the batter given how many owners of this laptop are experiencing this same issue, so my expectation is that Dell will take care of this issue.  Also, it just happens like many other people in this forum, that my warranty expired 3 months ago.

August 2nd, 2017 12:00

All I can say is me too.. DELL XPS 15 9550, the touch pad is fabulous to feel, but now it's horrible due to the bulging causing the wrong angle. It won't click at all.

I bought extended warranty from the local computer store, I hope that they will fix this under warranty.

It's just out of regular warranty..

63 Posts

August 9th, 2017 19:00

I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday morning talking with 5 different people at Dell both business and consumer departments and Dell does not have any 97 0r 84 watt batteries and they have no idea when they will get it back in stock. I looked on Amazon and it says it is "Discontinued". When I finally decided to talk with Tech Support they told me they do not sell the battery for the XP15 separately and that you have to send the unit back for replacement... problem is right now, they have No Batteries to do warranty with so you laptop will just sit there. My guess is that on both the 9550 and 9560 heat problems they will discontinue the higher wattage battery and offer a much lower (less heat) battery as a replacement... problem with that is the lower wattage battery means shorter life off the cord... What good is a laptop with a 1 hour portable life. If anyone doubts this.. Get on the phone to Dell Sales ask them what the PN and the cost of a replacement is... they say they don't have that to contact tech support.. but then try to talk to Tech Support and get an answer.. If you do.. post the info here because I've about had it trying to talk to Dell. I asked to speak with a Supervisor nd the would not connect me to one... Even if you have already bought a XPs15 with the 84 or 97 watt battery give them a call with your service tag and see what they say... Once the factory battery is dead... so is the Xps 15! That's an expensive gamble!

August 16th, 2017 20:00

Another to the list, and just 4months after warranty expired of course. Touchpad raised and can no longer click.

2 Posts

August 19th, 2017 12:00

I have the same problem. The touchpad lifts so high that it hurts the screen if I try to close the laptop. And the laptop easily gets to too hot; the fan keeps working with loud noise.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2017 12:00

Get the battery out of the system and out of your home or office.  Then contact Dell -- they may well replace the battery even out of warranty - but get rid of the swollen batterey NOW -- it is a safety hazard.

2 Posts

August 19th, 2017 13:00

Update - I just called Dell and they said they will mail me a box to send my laptop back to them to get the problem fixed. My laptop's warranty has expired and they still do it free of charge. The number I called is 1-8008226031.

1 Message

August 26th, 2017 11:00

Sheri66 is correct. I just called 1-800-822-6031 (the dell out of warranty support number), and they have confirmed this is a known issue. My computer is several months of out warranty but they are replacing the battery free of charge due to this being a known issue. Please call Dell ASAP as having a swollen battery is a huge safety concern.

1 Message

August 26th, 2017 16:00

Wanted to add to this and confirm that Dell is acknowledging this as a known issue and is providing replacement battery service at no charge.  800-822-6031 - Let them know your trackpad is popping out due to a swollen battery. They'll send you a box to use to send your laptop back to them for battery replacement.

2 Posts

August 26th, 2017 21:00

Hey! Read your posts (and everyone's comments) and I think I might be having the EXACT same problem right now. I made a post on Reddit about it hoping to get advice:

www.reddit.com/.../

No Events found!