Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 10th, 2016 05:00

XPS 15 9550 touchpad issue that Dell apparently can't fix

I've had my XPS15 since October, 2015.  The touchpad worked fine until 3 weeks ago when the mechanical click essentially stopped working--I can only get it to click by pushing very hard (10 times normal) along the very front edge.  It's physically broken, and it's not subtle.  It's essentially impossible to drag-and-drop, highlight text, or drag a scroll bar.

I called Dell and they had me ship it to Texas for repairs.  It came back 1 1/2 weeks later, but the touchpad still didn't work.  In fact, it was worse, as the front edge now sticks up 2-3 mm above the palmrest.  So, it doesn't work and it looks bad.

I called again and they had me ship it back to Texas.  It was returned yesterday, but the touchpad still doesn't click.  Per the paper inside the box, they replaced only the power supply and battery--I have no idea why.  (When I look online, it says they replaced the palmrest, but that apparently doesn't include the mechanical part of the touchpad.)

I called Dell again.  They want me to ship it back a third time.  Needless to say, I am losing faith.

Are there any other options?  I asked about taking it to a repair center local to me in Chicago, but they said there aren't any.  That's odd, as there are a bunch of them listed on the Dell service locator page.  At what point would it be reasonable to ask that the laptop be replaced?

1 Message

November 6th, 2017 01:00

Hi, I have exactly the same problem on my XPS 9333 which is also out of warranty. My laptop was bought in the US but I'm living now in Europe. Entering my service tag gives me the only option to call to the US number. Do you know if there is a good way to contact them, e.g. in writting? Even if I wanted to buy and replace the battery myself, I'd need at least the part number. But I'm unable to find it and afraid of buying a fake item and enter in a bigger danger than it already is with the swollen battery. Thanks.

No Events found!