Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2017 12:00

XPS 15 9560 Bluetooth Problems

Anyone else having bluetooth problems on this laptop? I've only had this laptop for 4 days, while everything else is great, I cannot get my devices to stay connected. 

Here's what I've done so far:

Reinstalled Bluetooth drivers from Dell.com

Ensured BIOS up to date

Reinstalled chipset drivers

Unpaired/rebooted/paired 

Set power management for Bluetooth to not go to sleep

Removed/reseated bluetooth wireless PCIE card.

My devices pair fine to my phone and other laptop. Both a Razer mouse and Jaybird X3 headset. I know both these devices work because I use them consistently throughout the day. They will not stay connected to the XPS. Sometimes, I am able to pair and they will drop within minutes. If I turn the mouse or headset off or it goes into standby mode - get ready for frustration. Rebooting sometimes fixes the issue but the connectivity is inconsistent. Why Dell chooses to use cheaply made Broadcom wireless cards in a premium flagship notebook is beyond me. I ordered an Intel 8265 which should be whitelisted since the drivers are available on the 9560 page. We'll see how it goes.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

February 10th, 2017 14:00

It sounds like you have pretty much tried all the steps I would recommend, something else I would try is to download the 1535 drivers directly from Qualcomm here 

On a side note, the 8265 should work fine, the only other times I have seen a card not work (be whitelisted) is if it was an Intel card from a different system like an HP/Lenovo card in a Dell etc (and vice versa). If the 8265 does not work and comes up with a code 10 error you might need to re-order the card for a Dell specific version, but I haven't seen any reports like this lately so I think it will be fine.

Let me know if you have any luck with the Qualcomm drivers, or if the Intel card resolves   this.

Best regards,

Brad 

February 11th, 2017 00:00

Have you managed to resolve this yet? I've got the exact same issue. I received my laptop 2 days ago. I install the drivers, it works for a very short time, then it starts to cycle disabling and enabling itself.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 11th, 2017 06:00

Something which hasn't been done is to go to Device Manager and look at the properties for the Bluetooth Device.  There is an Events tab which my show that that device is doing.  It is a small window so make sure and scroll to see the entire listing and select a particular entry to get details.

The Event Viewer may also have some type of entry related to events surrounding the disconnects.

Just for testing, if you are in an area with other Bluetooth devices you might try putting them on airplane mode to shut off those radios.

But I agree, changing out Wi-Fi devices should not be a problem.  My 9365 came with a 8265 and I put a 8260 in an Inspiron which came with an 3165.  Make sure and get the correct form factor.  The M.2 cards come in two widths, one has both antenna connections on one side.

www.intel.com/.../shop-for-intel-wireless-ac.html

7 Posts

February 11th, 2017 10:00

Thanks Brad. The OEM drives helped a lot. It's still not 100% what I would expect so I am still proceeding with the swap but it's definitely 99% better. An occasional disconnect but devices stay paired and do not require reboots to re-establish connectivity.

7 Posts

February 11th, 2017 10:00

I did, I installed the OEM drives from Killer (not from Dell's website). Although significantly improved, I'm still swapping out the card for an Intel. Good luck!

7 Posts

February 11th, 2017 16:00

I installed the Intel 8265 and I am experiencing much better Bluetooth and Wireless connectivity.

February 12th, 2017 02:00

If I install the drivers from the Dell website or the Qualcomm website, yes it works for a short period.

After a wile however, it stops working, and if you look in device manager you can see the device constantly enabling and disabling itself every couple of seconds. I goes from:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems"

To:

"This device is working properly"

On the Qualcomm website, they say this device is no longer supported. Why has a brand new, high-end laptop got such an old, no longer supported Bluetooth card?

5 Posts

March 29th, 2017 07:00

My Microsoft Arc Mouse will drop off at least a half-dozen times a day. Have to "reboot" the mouse so my XPS will pick it up again. My Bose Bluetooth speaker will stutter and lag constantly, while streaming music. None of these things happened on my Surface Pro 4, which honestly, was more reliable all-around....and it had its own set of problems. I'm able, but not willing, to spend the time re-shuffling drivers and troubleshooting. I spent $$$ on this thing so I'd have a work laptop that just works well. Period. All drivers are latest and those listed for this device on the Dell support site. Fix the issues guys, or it's my last Dell!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 29th, 2017 08:00

I saw another thread regarding Killer Wireless.  It may not be related to the situation here but if it is maybe the driver linked from a Killer Rep. would help.

en.community.dell.com/.../20008541

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 18:00

I tried the same thing with almost the same results.  When I look at the Device Manager, Bluetooth has disappeared completely and never comes back.  Sometimes, if I reboot, it comes back.

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 18:00

I tried that, but it had no effect.  I reinstalled the Dell drivers and shutdown the computer.  The next morning when I rebooted, my Bluetooth was back?!?

3 Posts

May 8th, 2017 13:00

I have the same issue, the bluetooth dissapears after being used for a couple of minutes, I don't even show as being installed, like there is no hardware for it. I have to re-start. I contacted Killer wireless and they sent me the following email.

"Luis Rivera,

We have seen a few cases of this reported lately. We have confirmed that this is due to non-enumeration by BIOS/motherboard. This can be fixed by draining power to your machine fully.

There are 2 ways to do this:

1. Battery Drain reset: Let the laptop use all battery power, thus emptying the battery and allowing power to the motherboard to actually allow a reset of the device enumeration

2. Unplug power and disconnect the battery: The Alienware notebooks have their battery connector in an easy to access place, usually only requiring removal of 2 screws to remove the bottom access panel. You can then disconnect the battery, accomplishing the same result as #1 without the need to take time to drain the battery.

Leave battery drain/disconnect for a few minutes, then reconnect/power on. Bluetooth and Ethernet adapters should then show up normally.

Regards,

Anthony Davis

Killer Technical Support"

Anyways, I think I'm going to end up buying the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and replace the Killer 1835.

5 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 05:00

I am having bluetooth problems with my xps 9560. When I turn it on, it would not find any of my bluetooth devices, it just kept on scanning without finding anything. It's been frustrating, as it worked before, but just stopped working all of a sudden. Hope anyone can help or suggest a stable driver to download and try, thanks!

3 Posts

July 21st, 2017 23:00

Hi mhcox. This is my first post, so apologies if I do something wrong... If someone can improve on this description, please feel free to add your comment!

I have the exact same problem with my XPS-15 9560 running Windows 10. About once a week my Bluetooth devices suddenly stop working, and Bluetooth completely disappears, not caused by anything I've been able to sort out yet. Like you, there isn't any Bluetooth section in the Device Manager, so I can't change any settings or check drivers.

With the help of Dell support, I updated, installed, reinstalled, and rebooted several drivers and the computer, but still no Bluetooth in the Device Manager. Finally, the support rep had me run a boot diagnostic, and it turned Bluetooth back on. I've done this same process a half-dozen times now, and it works consistently.

The process takes about 5 minutes. It's a workaround and not a permanent fix, but until Dell fixes this problem I'm happy to at least have these steps:

1. Shut down the computer and wait about 10 seconds.

2. Turn the computer back on and immediately start tapping the key repeatedly.

3. Select “Diagnostics” from the menu that appears (this will start a system test).

4. During the test, you’ll have to answer a couple onscreen questions about what you see onscreen.

5. After a few minute it will finish several tests and ask you about running the 1hour+ of “recommended” memory test. Select “No” so you DON’T run the additional test. I don't think it would hurt, but it isn't necessary for this process.

6. In the top right corner, select “Exit” and say yes to “exit and reboot.”

7. Once it reboots and you’re logged back in, check in the Device Manager and (fingers crossed) Bluetooth should be back, although your devices may still not be working.

8. To get your devices back, tap the Windows key and type “Bluetooth”

a. Select “Bluetooth & other devices” setup to get into the Windows setup

b. Sometimes the devices re-appear if you just turn them on and off.

c. If that doesn't work, you have to remove them and re-discover and install them

I'm sure this isn't the fix you were hoping for, and I bet you share my hope Dell finds a fix for this soon. At this point I can't rely on Bluetooth devices for my work, since I can't afford to say to meeting attendees "Hold that thought for 5 minutes while I fix my computer so I can continue my presentation!"

Hope this helps!

2 Posts

July 24th, 2017 08:00

I have tried those drivers, but it would suddenly mid use drop out and come back after a few reboots, this really isn't ideal and hope that someone at dell is looking into a solution

No Events found!