dsmero
1 Nickel

XPS 15 9560 Bluetooth Problems

Anyone else having bluetooth problems on this laptop? I've only had this laptop for 4 days, while everything else is great, I cannot get my devices to stay connected. 

Here's what I've done so far:

Reinstalled Bluetooth drivers from Dell.com

Ensured BIOS up to date

Reinstalled chipset drivers

Unpaired/rebooted/paired 

Set power management for Bluetooth to not go to sleep

Removed/reseated bluetooth wireless PCIE card.

My devices pair fine to my phone and other laptop. Both a Razer mouse and Jaybird X3 headset. I know both these devices work because I use them consistently throughout the day. They will not stay connected to the XPS. Sometimes, I am able to pair and they will drop within minutes. If I turn the mouse or headset off or it goes into standby mode - get ready for frustration. Rebooting sometimes fixes the issue but the connectivity is inconsistent. Why Dell chooses to use cheaply made Broadcom wireless cards in a premium flagship notebook is beyond me. I ordered an Intel 8265 which should be whitelisted since the drivers are available on the 9560 page. We'll see how it goes.

19 Replies

RE: XPS 15 9560 Bluetooth Problems

It sounds like you have pretty much tried all the steps I would recommend, something else I would try is to download the 1535 drivers directly from Qualcomm here 

On a side note, the 8265 should work fine, the only other times I have seen a card not work (be whitelisted) is if it was an Intel card from a different system like an HP/Lenovo card in a Dell etc (and vice versa). If the 8265 does not work and comes up with a code 10 error you might need to re-order the card for a Dell specific version, but I haven't seen any reports like this lately so I think it will be fine.

Let me know if you have any luck with the Qualcomm drivers, or if the Intel card resolves   this.

Best regards,

Brad 

RigidDesign
1 Copper

Have you managed to resolve this yet? I've got the exact same issue. I received my laptop 2 days ago. I install the drivers, it works for a very short time, then it starts to cycle disabling and enabling itself.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Something which hasn't been done is to go to Device Manager and look at the properties for the Bluetooth Device.  There is an Events tab which my show that that device is doing.  It is a small window so make sure and scroll to see the entire listing and select a particular entry to get details.

The Event Viewer may also have some type of entry related to events surrounding the disconnects.

Just for testing, if you are in an area with other Bluetooth devices you might try putting them on airplane mode to shut off those radios.

But I agree, changing out Wi-Fi devices should not be a problem.  My 9365 came with a 8265 and I put a 8260 in an Inspiron which came with an 3165.  Make sure and get the correct form factor.  The M.2 cards come in two widths, one has both antenna connections on one side.

www.intel.com/.../shop-for-intel-wireless-ac.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
dsmero
1 Nickel

I did, I installed the OEM drives from Killer (not from Dell's website). Although significantly improved, I'm still swapping out the card for an Intel. Good luck!

0 Kudos
dsmero
1 Nickel

Thanks Brad. The OEM drives helped a lot. It's still not 100% what I would expect so I am still proceeding with the swap but it's definitely 99% better. An occasional disconnect but devices stay paired and do not require reboots to re-establish connectivity.

0 Kudos
dsmero
1 Nickel

I installed the Intel 8265 and I am experiencing much better Bluetooth and Wireless connectivity.

0 Kudos
RigidDesign
1 Copper

If I install the drivers from the Dell website or the Qualcomm website, yes it works for a short period.

After a wile however, it stops working, and if you look in device manager you can see the device constantly enabling and disabling itself every couple of seconds. I goes from:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems"

To:

"This device is working properly"

On the Qualcomm website, they say this device is no longer supported. Why has a brand new, high-end laptop got such an old, no longer supported Bluetooth card?

0 Kudos
vinjenks
1 Nickel

My Microsoft Arc Mouse will drop off at least a half-dozen times a day. Have to "reboot" the mouse so my XPS will pick it up again. My Bose Bluetooth speaker will stutter and lag constantly, while streaming music. None of these things happened on my Surface Pro 4, which honestly, was more reliable all-around....and it had its own set of problems. I'm able, but not willing, to spend the time re-shuffling drivers and troubleshooting. I spent $$$ on this thing so I'd have a work laptop that just works well. Period. All drivers are latest and those listed for this device on the Dell support site. Fix the issues guys, or it's my last Dell!

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

I saw another thread regarding Killer Wireless.  It may not be related to the situation here but if it is maybe the driver linked from a Killer Rep. would help.

en.community.dell.com/.../20008541

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos