Highlighted

XPS 15 9560, Buggy Realtek driver causing issues with audio jack

So I've been having issues plugging my headphones into the audiojack on my xps 15 9560. I know the jack works because I can plug in my headphones *during* the installation/uninstallation of the realtek drivers and the audio will work. However after I restart the computer (after driver installs) the audio will only play through the onboard speakers. I can still connect a bluetooth headphone to the computer and this will work. The audiojack seems really buggy and I don't know if it is an driver issue or a hardware issue. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Buggy AudioJack/Realtek driver on xps 15 9560

When I plug in a wired headphone in to the audiojack the sound doesn't play through the headphone but plays through the onboard speakers. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the realtek drivers and found that the headphones worked during the uninstallation/reinstallation but as soon as I restarted the computer to complete the installation of the drivers the same issue reoccurs. What could be causing this and how do I fix it? 

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Gallium

RE: Buggy AudioJack/Realtek driver on xps 15 9560

Not sure. Go to the Recent Issues FAQ, XPS section, and look at XPS 9343 issue 1, and XPS 9350 & 9550 issue 2, and see if any of that helps.

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos

RE: XPS 15 9560, Buggy Realtek driver causing issues with audio jack

Assume you are reinstalling the Dell driver dated April 20, 2017? If yes, perhaps test the driver directly from Realtek.

* Go here
* Click "High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)"
* Check "I accept to the above"
* Click Next
* Look to the right of "64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file)"
* Click the Global link
* The file will want to download. Tell it where to save the file so you can find it
* Run the file. Follow the instructions and restart the system when done. Re-test the audio when done

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Ruthenium

RE: XPS 15 9560, Buggy Realtek driver causing issues with audio jack

So I've been having issues plugging my headphones into the audiojack on my xps 15 9560. I know the jack works because I can plug in my headphones *during* the installation/uninstallation of the realtek drivers and the audio will work. However after I restart the computer (after driver installs) the audio will only play through the onboard speakers.

You should be getting a popup window from Waves asking what device you plugged in.  If you aren't getting that then the drivers are not installed correctly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos