Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2017 10:00

XPS 15 9560 FHD 3-cell and 65Watt power supply.

Hello,

I would like to have lighter travel configuration for my XPS 15 9560 i7 with FHD screen and 56Wh battery.
I am wondering whether someone tested or used it with Dell 65W power supply , say HA65NM130?

I understand that the original 130W supply covers all possible XPS 15 configuretions but FHD screen and smaller battery should have lower power requirements.

Fpr example, my previous laptop was ASUS with 54Wh battery and QHD screen and came with 65W supply.

489 Posts

April 11th, 2017 07:00

Indeed the AC adapter power is defined by the power consumption, and the 9560 surely can draw all 130W, with the CPU and the GPU loaded. On the other hand, the consumption at idle or at light load tends to be under 20W.

My 9550 works with the Dell 45W AC charger, which is in some specs(?) even declared compatible officially. The performance is notably downthrottled. The computer seems to apply the "on battery" values of the Advanced power options; if turning them higher it is not so downthrottled anymore but the battery drains slowly despite the charger under load. The GPU is downthrottled even more than on battery and can't be de-throttled in APO or NVidia Contol Panel (perhaps in NVidia Experience?).

The Dell 65W charger should work a bit better but comes with the thick plug, you'd need a connector adapter to the thin one.

You can also consider 60W+ USB-C AC chargers that can supply 20V 3A (Google, Apple, several 3rd-party docking stations). Mind USB-C PD compatibility is tricky so firstly google up success stories; and mind that the USB-C socket will then be occupied.  

331 Posts

April 10th, 2017 14:00

Hi imalamoud,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

This system is shipped with a Dell E5 adapter 130W, as per the required power consumption for the system configuration. It is recommended not to use an AC adapter with lower or higher than the required specification, as it might not be detected and cause battery charging issues.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

7 Posts

April 11th, 2017 09:00

Thank you for your input.

I used a power monitoring device and can confirm that in most modes including movie watching the 9560 laptop draws not more than 55-60W from the outlet. Most times hovers around 35-40W

I suppose it could go over it in a gaming situation but I can stay away from gaming during travels.

Another purpose of the 130W adapter is perhaps to power up QHD screen and charging of the 97Wh battery both of which I don't have.

No Events found!