Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2017 10:00

XPS 15 9560 Headphone jack function as a mic jack?

I purchased  a  3.5mm 4 Position TRRS Male to 2x 3 Position TRS Female Headset Splitter Adapter for my hyperx cloud headphones to plug into my XPS 15, except the microphone isn't working when its plugged in.

When I plug them in a window comes up 'which device did you plug in?' Mic in, Line in, Dell Devices (lists random unknown devices to me), Headphones/headset - headphones medium, external speakers - external speakers medium. Are these details correct? should something about the microphone come up also? I go to sound options, recording and it's still using the microphone in the laptop.

I tested the headphones on another laptop without the jack and the microphone on the headset is working great. So it's either the splitter isn't doing it's job... or something to do with the laptop, any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 11th, 2017 16:00

Well for your case, the headSET option would be correct, since that means a device that offers both headphones (audio out) and a mic -- but note that you do apparently also have a Mic In option, though this would prevent audio output to the headphones.  However, if selecting the headset option isn't working, the issue with the TRRS "standard" is that it isn't a standard. The industry never agreed on which pins would be used for which connectors (Ground, Mic, Left Audio, Right Audio).  I think Samsung did it one way and Apple did it another, for example, and this of course causes interoperability issues.  So if choosing "headset" isn't working, it's probably because the XPS is expecting Option A and your splitter is wired for Option B.

Theoretically, given that the audio chipset allows the pins to be dynamically assigned to various purposes depending on the device that's plugged in, it MIGHT be possible to have a "Headset" and "Headset (Alternate Mode)" device option in order to accommodate both TRRS configurations, but I seem to recall one of the TRRS implementation differences being where the Ground pin was placed, and maybe that pin can't be reassigned simply via software, which might explain the absence of such an option. Sorry!

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 11th, 2017 17:00

I think jphughan could be right on this (regarding headset option, or possibly the adapter not being recognized properly) and unfortunately I haven't found a lot on this yet. Do you know have a link to the adapter you bought? Also, if you just select mic by itself without the headset portion attached (so mic into adapter into system, and headphone portion unplugged) does the system at least acknowledge the mic then (assuming you selected just mic)? 

One other thing you could try is removing some of the audio settings/drivers, but I would need to check into that first to see if it is worth it, so trying to see if the mic is working first might be the best place to start. 

On a side note, another option is to get a USB audio amp and then plug your headset into that, obviously a bit more expensive but it might allow you to get better sound out of the gaming headset.

Best regards.

Brad

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 11th, 2017 18:00

Headphones will work fine.  The system adjusts for the connection and many headphones will have a built in microphone.

The newer drivers give you an option to not show the popup but will default back to that same device whenever something is plugged in.  This selection can be changed manually using the Advanced options on these drivers.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 11th, 2017 20:00

unfortunately I haven't found a lot on this yet.

Brad, I partially covered this  in section 6 of the Headphone Jack FAQ. "We have received conflicting reports about headset adapters. They seem to work with some laptops but not for others, so buy at your own risk."

Most of the reports we have received have been negative.

another option is to get a USB audio amp and then plug your headset into that, obviously a bit more expensive b

A cheaper option along those same lines is to get a usb audio jack for only a few $. Of course the quality would not match that of a usb audio interface.

5 Posts

August 13th, 2017 21:00

Thanks for all the great responses guys, I'd be lying if I said I understand all of it though. When I plug the headphones in no option to select 'mic' comes up.

You know I always assumed this laptop had one USB port... turns out there's one on either side of the laptop haha so definitely possible to use a USB adapter also.

I contacted the person I purchased the splitter from and they've told me it is for OMTP standard and I may need CTIA standard? Going to try the CTIA standard and then if that doesn't work I'll try the USB adapter or USB audio amp (because who doesn't enjoy better sound quality).

I'll report back with what happens.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 13th, 2017 22:00

Do you have a headset like and iPhone you could try so you could see how it is supposed to work?

I don't have any experience with the adapters so it may be as Jim suggests.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 14th, 2017 14:00

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on this, I meant on an internal search on my first part, but your FAQ honestly would have been a much better place for me to start. I'll definitely remember to check on that in the future, and thanks again for all of your work/answers on here!

Best regards,

Brad 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 14th, 2017 14:00

Sounds great, definitely report back, I'm curious if the other standard will work any differently. 

Best regards,

Brad

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 14th, 2017 15:00

@Aaron, what do you mean you don't have an option for a mic?  You originally said that one of the options is "Mic In".  That's your mic option.  But if you're plugging the headphone and mic jacks in one at a time, try instead plugging both of them into the adapter and then plugging the adapter in as a single unit, and then selecting the headset option.  You do NOT want to plug them in sequentially.

5 Posts

August 16th, 2017 02:00

Ok update time:

Here's a link the picture I see when plugging my headset in https://ibb.co/fvZWev. I'm trying to use this   headset (www.pccasegear.com/.../39792 to play csgo.

The first OMPT adapter I used (www.ebay.com.au/.../301775017364 was still using the laptops microphone with me plugging both headphone leads into the adapter and then into the laptop and pressing OK.

Additionally the second CTIA adapter I used (www.ebay.com.au/.../182432000972 in exactly the same way is still using the laptops microphone.

Does the picture I uploaded show an image of what is meant to come up when plugging in a headset? Am I meant to change any of these like 'dell devices' or highlight certain things e.g. Mic In, Line In for them to work?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/20012104

does anybody know about this? 

Thanks for any help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 16th, 2017 09:00

I'm trying to use this   headset (www.pccasegear.com/.../39792

Hello. The picture of that headset shows that it comes with the correct TRRS plug (4 segments), and the specifications say that it is a 4 pole plug. So there is no need for you to use a splitter adapter, which can't work anyway because the splitter is meant to be used with a headset that has two TRS (3 pole) plugs.

Here is a closeup of the plug that is shown on the page you linked to:

Notice the 4 metal segments separated by 3 dark bands. If that is the plug that is on your headset just plug it directly into your laptop's audio port -- the combo jack. That type of plug is specifically intended for use with a combo jack.

On the hedset page you linked to, it says that it also comes with an extension cable that has dual TRS plugs. Don't use that extension cable and you should be all right, at least as far as the connections.

Here's a link the picture I see when plugging my headset in https://ibb.co/fvZWev

The others can address that better than I,  because my laptop is not burdened with that Waves/Realtek popup selection system. But if you can click on headset instead of headphones, that would be it.

5 Posts

August 16th, 2017 19:00

Hi Jimco,

I never noticed the initial connection being a 4 pole plug as I've always had the combo jack that came with the headset to plug into my previous laptop as it had two separate audio ports.

I'll go home tonight and try it with the 4 pole plug but I'm doubting this instantly fixes my problem - I still have a feeling it has to do with drivers somehow. With regards to the picture I cannot select anything other than headphones small medium or large.  I'd really like this problem fixed.

Thanks

5 Posts

August 17th, 2017 21:00

Hi all,

I plugged my headphones in via the 4 metal segment Jimco pictured but still nothing. I believe this to be a driver issue. Can I call Dell to get help? I'm a little over playing the guessing game to be honest after spending nearly $3,000 on a laptop.

Cheers

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 12th, 2017 08:00

Sorry I missed this for a while. @Aaronmr, for the picture you're seeing, can you select HeadSET rather than Headphones?  If not, does expanding the dropdown where you currently see Headphones Medium show any Headset options?  If not, then this may be a case of competing TRRS standards as I said before, and depending on the connector arrangement of your headset vs what the laptop is expecting, it might not even be possible for a driver update to allow the laptop to dynamically reconfigure itself to accept your headset's configuration.  As I mentioned before, if one of the swapped pins is Ground, I doubt that one can be dynamically remapped.

You can certainly call Dell about this if you haven't already, but I doubt they'd give you any insight on this.

No Events found!