Aaronmr
1 Copper

RE: XPS 15 9560 Headphone jack function as a mic jack?

Ok update time:

Here's a link the picture I see when plugging my headset in https://ibb.co/fvZWev. I'm trying to use this   headset (www.pccasegear.com/.../39792 to play csgo.

The first OMPT adapter I used (www.ebay.com.au/.../301775017364 was still using the laptops microphone with me plugging both headphone leads into the adapter and then into the laptop and pressing OK.

Additionally the second CTIA adapter I used (www.ebay.com.au/.../182432000972 in exactly the same way is still using the laptops microphone.

Does the picture I uploaded show an image of what is meant to come up when plugging in a headset? Am I meant to change any of these like 'dell devices' or highlight certain things e.g. Mic In, Line In for them to work?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/20012104

does anybody know about this? 

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

I'm trying to use this   headset (www.pccasegear.com/.../39792

Hello. The picture of that headset shows that it comes with the correct TRRS plug (4 segments), and the specifications say that it is a 4 pole plug. So there is no need for you to use a splitter adapter, which can't work anyway because the splitter is meant to be used with a headset that has two TRS (3 pole) plugs.

Here is a closeup of the plug that is shown on the page you linked to:

Notice the 4 metal segments separated by 3 dark bands. If that is the plug that is on your headset just plug it directly into your laptop's audio port -- the combo jack. That type of plug is specifically intended for use with a combo jack.

On the hedset page you linked to, it says that it also comes with an extension cable that has dual TRS plugs. Don't use that extension cable and you should be all right, at least as far as the connections.

Here's a link the picture I see when plugging my headset in https://ibb.co/fvZWev

The others can address that better than I,  because my laptop is not burdened with that Waves/Realtek popup selection system. But if you can click on headset instead of headphones, that would be it.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Aaronmr
1 Copper

Hi Jimco,

I never noticed the initial connection being a 4 pole plug as I've always had the combo jack that came with the headset to plug into my previous laptop as it had two separate audio ports.

I'll go home tonight and try it with the 4 pole plug but I'm doubting this instantly fixes my problem - I still have a feeling it has to do with drivers somehow. With regards to the picture I cannot select anything other than headphones small medium or large.  I'd really like this problem fixed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Aaronmr
1 Copper

Hi all,

I plugged my headphones in via the 4 metal segment Jimco pictured but still nothing. I believe this to be a driver issue. Can I call Dell to get help? I'm a little over playing the guessing game to be honest after spending nearly $3,000 on a laptop.

Cheers

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Sorry I missed this for a while. @Aaronmr, for the picture you're seeing, can you select HeadSET rather than Headphones?  If not, does expanding the dropdown where you currently see Headphones Medium show any Headset options?  If not, then this may be a case of competing TRRS standards as I said before, and depending on the connector arrangement of your headset vs what the laptop is expecting, it might not even be possible for a driver update to allow the laptop to dynamically reconfigure itself to accept your headset's configuration.  As I mentioned before, if one of the swapped pins is Ground, I doubt that one can be dynamically remapped.

You can certainly call Dell about this if you haven't already, but I doubt they'd give you any insight on this.

0 Kudos