Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2017 11:00

XPS 15 9560 Killer Wireless killing my network

So I received my 9560 yesterday.  It has been largely unusable.  The problem being the Killer 1535 wifi card seems to be able to nuke my whole wifi network.  It only requires a few minutes of browsing the web (notice it particularly on Facebook) before the killer does something which causes my router to basically shut down the wifi side (router is a Drayek 2860n+ which has previously run for 2years without a single fault with many other devices).

I narrowed it down to the killer card by plugging in a belkin USB wifi adapter and the machine becomes usable and stable, but the second I re-enable and use the killer 1535 the whole network crashes.

A bit of googling would suggest this isn't limited to my router type and the Killer 1535 is extremely unstable and unfriendly to routers.

So far I have tried to install new drivers from the Dell support site, and also from Killer's website (drivers dated just 1 day ago, they seem to issue a new version every week, which is telling).

Any other suggestions on how to fix this?  Its taken about 12hours to get the laptop setup so I am very reluctant simply to return it.

Why on earth Dell ship this laptop with such unstable hardware is beyond me, searching the web I am definitely not alone.

1 Message

April 27th, 2017 22:00

I am having the EXACT same issue with my 9560. We just got 20 units as company laptops last week :(

1 Message

May 16th, 2017 04:00

I just received my Alienware 17 R4 with the same Killer card. It actually Killed (pun intended) two different routers. A TP-Link AC750 and a TP-Link pocket router. Like the others, i am connected for a few minutes and the pocket router dies completely and needs a restart, the AC750 just crawls to a halt and behaves like a modem from 1992 until we restart it. Going to call support and see what they say. Note that i have 10 other devices that have been using these routers for more than a year without any problems whatsoever.

1 Message

May 27th, 2017 16:00

My XPS 9560 laptop (Which I received yesterday) is having the same problem. Contacted dell support yesterday and technician spent almost 2 hours by taking remote access to my Laptop and tried to resolve the issue but did not succeed? I am having dell premium support but there service *** big time. Worst experience ever. They did not even offer the new Wireless card after wasting my 2 hors of time rather told me that another level 3 technician will take a look on Tuesday. *** Dell. Worst Customer Support. Didn't even care about customer's time and Money. Never recommend to anyone in future :emotion-12::emotion-12:

1 Message

July 7th, 2017 14:00

I'm having this same problem as well.  I've never been so frustrated with a laptop before, not just this issue but the dreaded lagging problem that seems to be very common to the 9560.  I will never buy another Dell laptop.

September 4th, 2017 03:00

I am also facing this problem. I  updated BIOS & wireless card driver but in vain.

Any updated solution ?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 4th, 2017 12:00

I placed a Killer Wireless 1535 card in my Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming, for testing.  I will be leaving it installed since it seems to be working fine and I like the Performance Suite.

My system did not have a prior install of the Software or Drivers, so this may be part of your problem.  I bought the card online so it did not come from Dell.  Since I am not running your systems, It might be related to just that system.

When I installed, I downloaded the software directly from Killer.  The Dell driver is newer but I think Killer provided a special driver because of this problem.  I am running a Wireless AC Router but I have volunteered to try an N model if desired.

After downloading the required software and drivers,  I would go offline,  Then uninstall everything regarding Killer.

Look at the Programs and Features window to see if any Killer software is installed and uninstall from there.  When you open Device Manager, click on the card and uninstall and check the box to remove all drivers.  If the Killer adapter shows up again in Device Manger, uninstall again until it does not revert to the same Killer adapter designation.

Then reboot to clear every thing out.  Check Device Manger again to make sure the Killer has not come back and then run the Installer.  The one I downloaded for Killer was the

Killer-Ethernet-Wireless_INF.zip.  

I am hoping, removing some prior software or driver which is causing problems with the current install, will help everyone's situation.  

1 Message

September 8th, 2017 23:00

Will Dell cover customers having to swap out the faulty network cards? I am having the same issue. Have updated drivers, bios and still having the same trouble. Bit disappointed having spent decent coin on an XPS and find issues straight out of the box.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 9th, 2017 09:00

Too bad it isn't working for you, this type of stuff can be very informative.

1 Message

September 11th, 2017 11:00

I need to reboot the 9560 everytime it wakes up from sleep because it can't detect any internet connection through the WIFI no matter what I do (drivers etc etc). This network card is a joke. A "gaming" Killer NIC with worthless stability and performance in a $2000 business class PC!?!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 08:00

The attachment shows how the ASUS router sets up it two 5 GHz radios.  The Killer card seems not to have any problems on this system.  

I have no experience with an Android phone but my iPhone does see both 5 GHz networks.

October 3rd, 2017 10:00

Actually, I decided to change the channel after seing your Killer screenshots and opening this utility on my laptop. So your screenshots were of much help :-)

1 Message

December 15th, 2017 15:00

I recommend steering clear of the XPS 15 until Dell replaces the Killer Networking card with a working alternative.  

They are still shipping what is clearly defective hardware.  I was not aware of this issue when I ordered on last week and my network issues started as soon as I booted the XPS 15.  This is a laptop I use for business so bitlocker was turned on.   I told them I need a replacement card and that all my drivers were current but support forced me to go through a number of futile debugging steps, including one which bricked my laptop because of Bitlocker.  Instead I have a dead laptop and I'm out of the country for a week without a working one.  I'm returning for credit.  Any thoughts on an alternative high-end Windows laptop?

December 21st, 2017 15:00

Hello all,

As this particular post seems to keep coming up, and some users have expressed that they feel that there is no defining answer, I wanted to reach out and point anyone who might come across this post to our KB article here - killernetworking.com/.../35-router-issues-with-1535.

There, you will find the very short list of wireless access points which we know to have problems when connecting with newer MU-MIMO Wi-Fi adapters, such as the 1535, along with links to where the manufacturers have provided firmware that solves the issue.

If your particular wireless access point is not on that list, updating the router or modem to the latest available firmware will very likely solve the issue for you.

If you are using a Wi-Fi modem that is provided by your ISP, we suggest you contact your ISP, and request that they update the firmware on the router. Most ISPs do not update the firmware on these devices unless specifically requested to do so, and, if you are experiencing resets or major slowdowns, it is very likely that the firmware on your Wi-Fi modem significantly predates the 1535, and MU-MIMO technology in general, so a firmware update will probably fix the issue.

If none of these steps solves the issue, please contact us directly here - killernetworking.com/.../contact - with the model number of the Wi-Fi access point and, if possible, the firmware version, so that we can further troubleshoot the issue.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

No Events found!