Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2017 17:00

XPS 15 9560 "No Hard Drive Installed" after 1.5.0 BIOS

Purchased my XPS 15 9560 with i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, GTX1050 4GB, and 1080P display back in June 2017. Since installing the 1.5.0 BIOS update, I received a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bluescreen, and now my laptop no longer boots.

Upon powering on the laptop, I'll usually see the Dell POST screen, then it will either go black for an extended period of time before shutting down on its' own, or boot into ePSA SupportAssist Diagnostics and run through the quick troubleshooting tests. These tests will either result in a "Hard Drive - Not Installed" error, or show all hardware passing, but "No boot devices found" before shutting down.

As a computer technician with 10+ years experience in the field, I've already taken the appropriate steps to fully remove all power from the laptop, including unplugging the battery, and reseating the RAM and NVMe SSD in their sockets. The laptop still fails to boot or detect the drive on a regular basis.

Very occasionally I'll see the drive detected in the F12 Boot Options screen, as it shows up as a SanDisk A400 SSD, however, the system still locks up on a black screen should I choose to try to boot from it. I can get it to UEFI boot from a Windows 10 Installation USB, or from the Recovery USB I made with Dell's recovery tools, but only if I boot with the NVMe SSD unplugged from the motherboard. Otherwise the system hangs upon trying to boot.

I've opened up a line of support on the @DellCares Twitter support, but the replies are painstakingly slow, and no one has responded via Facebook Messenger yet. I've tried to open a live chat via Dell's support website, but it does not appear to be available right now, and I'd rather not call as my voice is a bit under the weather from a cold.

Where do I go next for support of my $2500 laptop?

October 2nd, 2017 20:00

In the same situation as you. Kept showing hard drive not installed. Got my xps15 two months ago, please let me know if you find a solution! Thanks!

October 3rd, 2017 01:00

+1

I ran the bios update yesterday (to 1.5.0) and am stuck with "No boot devices found".

Called Dell support and they said they'd send out a technician this week. All the typical fixes in the forum don't seem to work. How can a $3100 computer have so many bugs? 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update"

I got our infrastructure architect to take a look and they fixed it in under 10mins. 
- They booted off a USB with windows 10 installed
- I logged in
- I ran a restart
- Happy days :) 

9.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 06:00

Hi Hungryengineer,

Thanks for posting.

Since you are still under warranty, and you've performed the dagnostics, contact Dell Tech Support  for additional troubleshooting and possible resolution.

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 09:00

Thank you for your message.  We will be glad to assist you on this.

Is the hard drive getting detected in BIOS when you get this error message?

Please try to set BIOS to defaults & check if the error comes up.

Do you get any error about Watchdog timer?

For my reference, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2017 00:00

I managed to have the BIOS detect the SSD after about the 33rd power cycle, booted into Windows, and updated the firmware on the NVMe SSD. I had to goto another users' XPS 15 9560 download page using their service tag in order to access the SanDisk A400 SSD firmware update, since my laptop's service tag indicates I should have a Toshiba SSD installed, which I do not.

I will continue to monitor my laptop to ensure nothing further causes any issues, since $2500 is a LOT of money to drop on a single device. I could buy a new (used) car for just over that price where I live. I do love my XPS 15, and want it to last many years, so if anything else comes up, I'll open another ticket with Dell to get it resolved.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 4th, 2017 09:00

Anytime I see someone, who has just done a Bios Update, having problems with the boot drive being recognized if first think of a change to the Bios.  Possibly the SATA controller configuration has been changed or the Boot devices have disappeared or been changed.

When I run my system using the PCIe version of the M.2 drive, the pre boot diagnostics will show no drive installed.

Hopefully, all of you have checked the Bios settings for the SATA configuration and Boot Device Priority.

No Events found!