Jim Coates
5 Osmium

RE: XPS 15 96560 Audio Crackling

Please see the video here of my laptop

Hello. I played the video and it seems to me that one or both speakers have failed. If you don't hear that noise when you listen to headphones that are plugged into the audio jack (not bluetooth or usb headphones) then most probably it's speaker failure.

Can I claim Dell to get a new one?

No way. The return period has expired for your machine, but hardware failure is covered under the warranty. However before you contact tech support be sure to remove all audio players except Windows Media Player. Tech support has been known to deny service for failed speakers if VLC or other players are in the system.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

My 9365 starting distorting the sound as in basic system sounds.  I had just let the Dell Updater download and install a new Audio Driver (8233).  I do not know if it was one channel only.

I uninstalled the new driver and went back to the previous one and the distortion stopped.  When you uninstall a driver, several things may have helped fix the problem.  A new driver, of course, but also rebooting and possibly doing a better job of removing the old driver, which the audio installer does anyway.

The only other time I have seen such distortion was when the processor was running at a very slow speed.  What that speed might be for it to happen would depend on other system loading.

This, of course, does not rule out a broken speaker but I have not heard what a broken laptop speaker sounds like.  I know what a normal one sounds like, more of a rattling noise due to the cone or coil having a problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

My 9365 starting distorting the sound as in basic system sounds.

Did you get the distortion in the headphones as well as in the speakers?  When speaker problems are not replicated through the headphones then it points to the speakers as the problem.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Sorry Jim, I did not even try to track it down, just rolled back the driver.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos