Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2010 15:00

XPS 15 L501X PS/2 Keyboard and PS/2 Synaptics Touchpad do not wake computer from standby

Brand new XPS 15 L501X laptop.  After entering standby only the power button can wake the computer. There is no way to make the keyboard or touchpad wake the computer from standby.

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS A04, latest Intel HM57 Express chipset 9.1.1.1020 A00 and latest Synaptics driver 15.1.4.0 A00.

In the BIOS Advanced menu everything is enabled including USB Wake Support.  In device manager there is no "Power Management Tab" for either the PS/2 keyboard or PS/2 touchpad.

My last laptop was from HP with a synaptics touchpad and it had no problem waking from standby.  It's amazing how many years PC parts manufacturers/Microsoft have struggled with power settings and sleep/wake issues. Either these companies are not following the latest ACPI specifications or the specifications were poorly designed.

Maybe a BIOS/chipset update from dell can resolve this issue?

Some may say: just press the power button.  Yes, but the touchpad area is 50 times bigger than the power button and much more sensitive.  Also, if the display is off but the computer is not in standby then pressing the power button will put the computer into standby.  I don't want to have to watch the little light on the power button to see if my computer is in standby or not.  This is a must feature to have on a laptop.  If a user wants to save battery and turn off the keyboard and touchpad during standby then fine make that the default, but just give us the option (i.e. enable the power management tab, that's why it exists).

11 Posts

April 14th, 2016 08:00

@ Dell:

Any update on this issue?

The Dell Latitude E6230 notebook is affected by the same issue.

It is not possible to use the built-in keyboard or touchpad to wake the notebook from S3 (sleep).

It's the exact same issue that has been described in the first post.

Is there anything you could do about this issue? It would be really nice if the built-in keyboard and touchpad could wake the notebook from sleep (S3).

Regards

11 Posts

April 18th, 2016 17:00

Any update?

11 Posts

April 21st, 2016 16:00

Bump.

11 Posts

May 4th, 2016 18:00

Any update?

11 Posts

May 4th, 2016 18:00