Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2012 20:00

XPS 15 L501x (Intel® HM57 Express Chipset and Intel® i7-640M CPU) Issue

Hello,

I want to run the Integrated Intel graphics along with the NVIDIA graphic Card by applying the optimus NVIDIA technology in my System: XPS 15 L501x :

Intel Core i7 740QM (1.73GHz/6MB cache) - No Intel Integrated Graphics.
8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
Intel® HM57 Express Chipset
2048 (MB) NVIDIA GT435M GeForce
640GB SATA hard drive(7200RPM)

For that I:

1. Buy a new CPU that support Integrated graphics (Intel Core i7-640M 2.80GHz turbo 3.4Ghz), instead of my current CPU (Intel® Core? i7-740QM 1.73GHz, 8 threads, turbo boost up to 2.93GHz, 6M cache)

2. Remove My CPU (i7-740QM) and install the new one (i7-640M) and apply the thermal Compound to CPU, GPU and Chipset.

3. Run the system and got this Message:
(Error: Arrandale CPU is not supported on discrete platform.
Please use clarksfield CPU.
!!!Post End!!!)

I don't know why this CPU (i7-740QM) is not supported in my system.
As you know my system board is (Mobile Intel® HM57 Express Chipset), and the CPU is in the Compatible Processors list:
http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/43177

For your information I'm using the latest Bios L501X_A08.

If you have any info, Please update?!!! what do i do?!!!

If this CPU (i7-740QM) is not good for my system then which one can i use?!

Thanks,
Best Regards...

16 Posts

August 7th, 2012 22:00

You cannot run TWO GFX cards in a laptop with optimus. If you change the CPU for INTEL GFX 3000/4000 then basically what will happen is the nvidia card will disable when not needed and the INTEL GFX card will enable. The only time the Nvidia card will be running is when you are doing intensive gaming etc. Optimus is designed to save battery power and it's very feature is what disables and enables the intel gfx and nvidia gfx card.

7 Posts

Dear Cossette,

Thanks for your replay, but with NVIDIA  optimus technology you can run two TWO GFX cards in a laptop, with the way you explain it.

From the system message i have got, i need a MOBILE Clarksfield CPU as you said, but still the CPU i bought  is supported by the motherBoard as in the link above.

Now is these Clarksfield CPU's came with integrated graphics or not?!

Thanks.

7 Posts

OK then excuse me, for what you say (In order to run TWO GFX cards they need to be identical.), is there a CPU from the supported CPU List that match my Nvidia card?!

Thanks.

16 Posts

Ok maybe i explained it poorly, You cannot run a INTEL GFX card with a Nvidia one. In order to run TWO GFX cards they need to be identical or close to it. So you would need to buy another GT435M GeForce. The model you have does not support DUAL GFX cards sadly as it does not have space on the mother board. You may be better off with a desktop for your next purchase though as they are easier to swap parts. NOW if you do have a INTEL GFX 4000 and a GT435M GeForce then optimus will take over and always have atleast one deactivated. as they do not run in sync together.

16 Posts

Also if your going to change the CPU be sure to not put on alot of thermal paste

7 Posts

and i use a small amount of thermal paste.

16 Posts

Typically when you buy a laptop you should know that you can only swap the hd and memory for the most part and anything else will cause headaches.

16 Posts

August 7th, 2012 23:00

I'm glad to see your interest in computer parts and changing them out though,

Good luck!

7 Posts

OK,

Thanks for your time, I'm really grateful.

I understand My Issue now thanks to you.

Best Regards...

16 Posts

Okay, It's like AMD's crossfire software. From what i get you want to run TWO cards. But it's IMPOSSIBLE to do that with your laptop model. The only way to do it.is by getting TWO NVIDIA cards that are identical or close to it. But as i said the Mother board needs to support DUAL GFX cards and yours does not.

16 Posts

So in other words what you are trying to do will not work out. I suggest you use the old CPU and not the one you bought.

Now i need to mention if you had a CPU that supported intel GFX 3000/4000 then the GT435M GeForce optimus will always have one of the cards disabled because optimus knows that they cant run in sync together and it's also to save battery power.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 9th, 2012 17:00

Igi2000

Thanks for bringing this thread to my attension.   The L501X ships with either one of two system boards, one system board supports Clarksfield processors and the other system board supports Arrandale processors.  Since your system shipped with the 740QM which is a Clarksfield processor it means that your system shipped with a system board that only supports Clarksfield processors.  Clarksfield processors did not have integrated graphics so Optimus is not possible with them.

Here is a list of Clarksfield processors

ark.intel.com/.../Clarksfield

The 640m is a Arrandale processor and wont be compatible with your notebook.  Here is a list of Arrandale processors.

ark.intel.com/.../Arrandale

I am sorry for the bad news, but your system is not compatible with either Arrandele processors nor Optimus.

TB

7 Posts

August 9th, 2012 20:00

Mr. TB,

Thanks for your information and the details you provide were great for me to understand the issue.

Kind Regards...

No Events found!