Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2013 22:00

XPS 15 L502X Hard Drive Dead

Well, Purchased my XPS 15 L5022X April 2011.  :emotion-1:    Now the HDD has died - suddenly.    :emotion-6:  OK one minute and needed to Restart and it wouldn't.   :emotion-15:  Tried everything to get it up.    Checked BIOS - all OK.   Tries to start Win 7 and hangs.   Win 7 Repair didn't work.   Repair partition did not work.   Finally ran diagnostics.   Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA) passed.   Completed all memory tests.  Booted into Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition.   Got into the SATA DISK Confidence Test.   Began getting error codes and unable to get beyond 58%.   Errors kept saying to replace disk.   Finally got an error that said IRQ did not set in time.   Searches in Google turned up the same answer:   REPLACE the Hard Drive!   :emotion-9:   :emotion-12:  :emotion-6:  :emotion-60:  :emotion-60:  :emotion-46:  :emotion-46:  :emotion-46:  :emotion-46:  :emotion-46: - - - :emotion-46:  :emotion-37:  :emotion-37:

:emotion-55:  REPLACE UNDER WARRANTY!  :emotion-55:     PM'ed Dell-Terry B about this already.   I have extended warranty thru 4/15/2013. :emotion-5:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 6th, 2013 23:00

Good troubleshooting TS  :emotion-1:  Thanks for the guide.

When was the last time you Imaged it or is it time for a clean install?

Ya, it's not IF your HDD is going to crash ... it's WHEN ... seriously. :emotion-9:

174 Posts

January 7th, 2013 08:00

Good troubleshooting TS  :emotion-1:  Thanks for the guide.

When was the last time you Imaged it or is it time for a clean install?

Ya, it's not IF your HDD is going to crash ... it's WHEN ... seriously. :emotion-9:

Still hung over from all those martinis in my prior post about this.   :emotion-4:   Fortunately I don't use the lappy as my main PC.    My thoughts have always been the laptop is for portability and only copy to it Documents, data, or programs needed for the trip.   Maybe I am also skiddish about it being the dependent PC.    The small hard drive spinning at 7,200 rpm has been a concerning factor.   Mechanical things that get smaller tend to, by nature, have more problems.

I made restore CDs last year, but unfortunately no image.   I was not expecting the HDD to die so soon.   I should have been more leery of that since it was a Toshiba.   I have Acronis on my desktop and it is automatically backing up, but have not imaged it in quite a while either.   Have to do that soon.  

A clean install will work out OK.   Just have to find some programs and install MS Security Essentials.   If I get an SSD and set it as OS drive only, it should minimize future situations.   I think it will take two HDDs.

Hopefully I can get a replacement drive from Dell soon (?????).  :emotion-3: 

31 Posts

January 7th, 2013 17:00

My HDD died earlier this year (thank God for extd warranty)  but sadly it appears the new unit is dead again!  

Trying to run diagnostics again but it isn't respkonding.  :emotion-7:

ok, running PSA build 4129.  got it going this far but I am in over my head, think I need to call for help.  I hate having to call, go thru several folks till you get someone that gets it.  hate the endless hold..ugh.

174 Posts

January 7th, 2013 18:00

My HDD died earlier this year (thank God for extd warranty)  but sadly it appears the new unit is dead again!  

Trying to run diagnostics again but it isn't respkonding.  :emotion-7:

ok, running PSA build 4129.  got it going this far but I am in over my head, think I need to call for help.  I hate having to call, go thru several folks till you get someone that gets it.  hate the endless hold..ugh.

GIL..., Don't call.   Use the technical services chat.   I find better service via chat and you have a record of the conversation (just copy or print it to be sure you have it) and you will usually get an email copy of it..  

Go to Tech Support Chat here:  http://www.dell.com/support/incidents/us/en/19/Chat/TagChange

If you have another PC at same location, the tech. can tell you what to do next, etc.

4 Posts

January 14th, 2013 23:00

Wow. Same thing happened to me last Friday, AND I too bought the laptop in April 2011!  I guess the hard drive and/or Dell just aren't made to last anymore. I bought a new hard drive and found my recovery discs.  Wish me luck...

No Events found!