Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2014 10:00

XPS 15 (L502X) Nvidia driver crashing and/or laptop freezing

Hi,

I've an issue with my L502X.

The NVIDIA driver (latest version, the chip is a Geforce 525M ) is crashing frequently (let's say, every minute or so) and sometimes the laptop freezed completely. The issue happens mostly when I have an external screen plugged in in the HDMI port.

After few days the video card issue started, the HD also died, so I replaced the hard drive (warranty is expired),  reinstalling a clean OS (8.1 pro x64) but the issue still happens. Following indication from dell support on twitter I also installed the latest drivers for the chipsed (HM67) and the integraded video card drivers (HD3000), without any improvement.

I was suspecting overheating as the cause of the issue, but the GPU temp (both intel and nvidia) never goes above 60°C, CPU temp went up to 86°C.

Any idea about what can cause the issue? 

1 Message

April 18th, 2015 11:00

Ive been experiencing the exact samle issue.  Its been happening for months.  Each time nvidia releases a new driver i upgrade hoping the problem dissapears but it does not.  Real PITA if you ask me.  Also have mnitor via HDMI and runing Windows 8.1 

Problem is repeatable every time my daughter tries to play minecraft.

No Events found!