108anup
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 L502x Game Crashes

Like everyone else I was suffering from the same crash even after getting my motherboard changed 2 times.

After doing my own little research, I found out that Shader Clock = 2 * Core Clock. So if you decrease the core clock by 80, the Shader decreases by 160.

Decrease the core clock by 80. There will be no crashes and no lags and less frame drop and more performance as compared to the the latter method.

Default Settings:

Memory: 900

Core: 672

Therefore Shader = 2 * Core = 2* 672 = 1344

New Settings:

Core: 592

Therefore Shader = 2*592 = 1184

Only decrease the core clock by 80 mHz rest everything is fine. You can do this by nVidia system tools, MSI Afterburner etc.

I have not experienced any problem after making these changes.  

KongL
1 Nickel

I heard that from someone somewhere else. Maybe you? It doesn't work for me.

0 Kudos
KongL
1 Nickel

If anyone doesn't mind telling, what would be your settings for the Nvidia Control Panel on High Performance Processor in Manage 3-D settings?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
wchuan
1 Copper

I thought this laptop is worth buying until i read this post after using for years 😞 Freeze and sound buzz/looping on Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolute, Assassin's Creed 3(all on medium or lower setting). but seems fine on Fifa 13. After reading all the post seems like under-clocking is the only or high possible of 'solving' it.

- Does MSI afterburner works? Or some other software ( etc NVIDIA inspector)would be better? )

- what is the exact number of core clock and memory clock for best settings for under-clocking it?

- how much does it affect game performance?

- for those who are under-clocking, does the problem come back?

- any other good suggestion other then under-clocking? (even that i know is less possible....)

the problem really frustrate me of wasting my weekends on troubleshooting and researching rather then gaming. It makes me feel that getting a PS3 will be much much better on having a multitask and so-call 'gaming' laptop.

Really appreciate for the help.

0 Kudos
Dido_SMoKE
1 Nickel

i dont use any afterburn, only Nvidia system tools

best settings:

Core: 592

i didnt fell any drop with pes 2013, it runs great with full HD settings (also when used with 3D)

the problem never came back, almost 4 months now

the problem is not with PC, the problem is with this particular dell laptop only

0 Kudos
KongL
1 Nickel

The problem is still on going even with Msi Afterburner. I don't think that I can buy another Dell Xps 15 laptop again. I will probably switch to some type of desktop. From all the posts that I've seen about this problem. Dell has not currently found a working solution for it. All I got to say.

0 Kudos
Adam Hosein
1 Nickel

Hey guys,

I own this same model laptop and at the end I will list my laptop specs. However, I have experienced the same problem as you guys; if it is one thing I have done a lot with my laptop is re-install my OS countless times and i have noticed that at each re install the problem goes away until I have done a few updates so here is my suggestion, uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver on the whole and install the stock drive found on the drivers disc that comes with your system.

The reason for this is that yesterday I have updated my graphics driver to the latest version and I ran into the problem constantly so rolling back to the previous version seems to help, hopefully it helps you guys.

Owner of a dell XPS 15 for 9 months

Dell XPS 15 L502X

Motherboard -> Dell Inc. 0NJT03

Northbridge -> Sandy Bridge

RAM -> 8 GB DDR3 RAM

Hard Drive -> Seagate 750 GB HDD  

Operating System -> Windows Home Premium 64-bit

Processor -> Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Graphics Card -> NVIDIA GT-540M (2 GB)

Optical Drive -> TSSTcorp DVD+-RW

Audio Card -> Sound Blast FX-FI [With JBL Speakers]

KongL
1 Nickel

There's a stock drive? Or do you mean recovery disk? If anyone finds a version of the NVIDIA Graphics driver that doesn't crash as much or doesn't at all we'd all love to hear. Thanks Adam.

0 Kudos
Adam Hosein
1 Nickel

What I was saying is to uninstall the present NVIDA driver from the laptop and install the stock driver that is found on the drivers and utilities disc, it is a black disc that comes together with the system, not the recovery discs.

0 Kudos
KongL
1 Nickel

I believe I might have it. When the time comes I will do what you have done. Thanks Adam.

0 Kudos