This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2012 19:00

XPS 15 L502x Game Crashes

Dell Dissatisfaction letter:

To whom it may concern,

I would like to express my complete dissatisfaction with my
recent purchase of your Dell XPS 15 L502x model 
laptop. I am Comptia certified for A+ and Network+ operations so I am
very fluent with computer functions, hardware, software, and networking capabilities.
I work for Konica Minola technical support doing software and hardware support
on Laser printers. I will start here by listing the specifications of the
laptop that I purchased. Components are listed as follows:

Toshiba  500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive/ Since purchase have recently replaced with Crucial M4 128GB Solid State Drive
Drive

Matshita BD-RE Blu Ray Drive

6GB DDR3 SDRAM

Nvidia GT540M 2GB GPU and Intel HD 3000

Full 1080P display

JBL speakers

Regular keyboard/Since has been replaced with the backlit at my own
cost

Intel Core I7- 2720QM CPU @ 2.2GHZ /2nd Gen Sandy Bridge

USB 3.0 ports

Intel Centrino 6230 Wireless NIC w/bluetooth

Webcam

Now Since I got the computer which I have had for
approximately 8 months I have run into numerous problems. When I first got the
computer I was very excited I was finally able to save up enough money to get a
high performance laptop. The laptop worked flawlessly for a while until one day
I was playing a higher graphics video game (League Of Legends) and all of a
sudden the computer crashes. More specifically the screen freezes as well as any audio that was playing through the
speakers instantly became static sounding and continued to play and feedback
through the speakers. This would not reset until the computer had manually been
shut down and rebooted by holding in the power button. After this first
occurred I tried a number of things to attempt to resolve the issue myself. I
first went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers as well as
upated the BIOS to the most recent version at the time. This did not resolve
the issue. I then continued to go through a complete format and reinstallation
of the operating system (Windows 7 64-bit). Continued to test on multiple video
games inluding:  Modern Warefare, League
of Legends, Crysis 2, Skyrim. Issue continued to persist after the complete
windows and driver reinstallation. I also went in an adjusted the Nvidia
Control panel options to ensure that High Performance Nvidia processor was
selected for both my  individual program
settings as well as in my Global preferred graphics processor. The issue
remained.  At that point I proceeded to
call Dell Technical Support. Which I had called for in the past to resolve a
noise problem with the fan, a bad blu ray drive and a bad power supply cord and
let me tell you talking with your tech support reps is a terrible experience.
They do not understand half of what you are saying and are honestly not very
knowledgeable when it comes to computers. One time I even had one of the dell phone support
technicians tell me that the blu ray drive does not connect into the
motherboard. They decided to go ahead and send me out a replacement motherboard
to attempt to resolve the issue. A few days later the technician came out and
replaced the motherboard. This fixed the problem for about another couple of
months. More crashes while playing higher graphics games. I tried going through
and lowering my video settings for each game which caused the issue to occur
less however it would still continue to crash occasionally. I called back in
again to dell technical support at that point and got a replacement motherboard
put in again. This time the computer crashed out while playing high graphics
games right from the start. I called in again and they told me that they would
like for me to send my system in to their support center which I declined
because they stated it would take 2 weeks and that they would moniter the
system and ensure it gets fixed.  I am a
computer technician and perfectly capable of monitering my own system and
testing to see if the issue continues to occur. Not to mention the fact that the
Dell technician that came on site even admitted that they generally get sent
back out often after customer’s have submitted their machines to the dell
service center.  Also I use this computer
on a daily basis and it is necessary that I have this up and running and in
good shape. So I requested they send yet another motherboard to attempt to
resolve it because it had temporarily in the past. This time when the
technician came out I brought some Arcitic Silver 5 heatsync for him to put on
the GPU’s and the CPU because I have now done some online research and
determined that this is in fact a common issue for this model laptop. One
person recommended re-applying heatsync so I tried this. Also another
recommendation was to install a Solid State drive which I have also done and
included another fresh installation of windows 7 64-bit and all the driver
software. The issue still persisted.. So I called back into dell and
they informed me that they would go through and exchange my laptop however they
stated this process takes from 7-14 days. They called me today and offered me
the exact same model laptop however I am apalled again because this issue
seems to be specific to a motherboard/GPU manufacturing defect.   I have
had so much difficulty here between arguing with 10 different dell support
techs trying to get this issue resolved to continuing to have to test this
issue repeatedly and repeatedly and reinstalling operating systems and
purchasing the upgraded hard drive. I’ve honestly had enough at this point.  Basically what this issue boils down to in the
computer is either the motherboard/GPU.  What I want to know from you is first off is this issue going to continue after system replacement with the same model? Is this a specific issue to the Nvidia GT540M graphics? Why can't I get my laptop replaced with a different model due to the insufficiency of these motherboards/GPU's. The whole reason I purchased the laptop was due to the high specs and its capabilities to be able to run these games with ease....At least this was the advertisement.....I have also referenced some links I have located where soo many people are complaining about the same issue. I have also taken a video of the frozen screen with the audio feedback as well as referenced some youtube videos showing the same problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at215ci-6kQ

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19409241.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgM9mz4Hss

http://boardreader.com/thread/XPS_15_l502x_freezes_during_gameplay_5me5rXbj9l3.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/634912-similar-crash-across-games-l502x.html

http://freedellxpsus.info/freedellxpsusdell-xps-15-l502x-crashing-3d-games-nvidia-gt540m/

http://l502xcrash.blogspot.com/

23 Posts

December 19th, 2012 12:00

Hey guys,

I own this same model laptop and at the end I will list my laptop specs. However, I have experienced the same problem as you guys; if it is one thing I have done a lot with my laptop is re-install my OS countless times and i have noticed that at each re install the problem goes away until I have done a few updates so here is my suggestion, uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver on the whole and install the stock drive found on the drivers disc that comes with your system.

The reason for this is that yesterday I have updated my graphics driver to the latest version and I ran into the problem constantly so rolling back to the previous version seems to help, hopefully it helps you guys.

Owner of a dell XPS 15 for 9 months

Dell XPS 15 L502X

Motherboard -> Dell Inc. 0NJT03

Northbridge -> Sandy Bridge

RAM -> 8 GB DDR3 RAM

Hard Drive -> Seagate 750 GB HDD  

Operating System -> Windows Home Premium 64-bit

Processor -> Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Graphics Card -> NVIDIA GT-540M (2 GB)

Optical Drive -> TSSTcorp DVD+-RW

Audio Card -> Sound Blast FX-FI [With JBL Speakers]

53 Posts

December 19th, 2012 14:00

There's a stock drive? Or do you mean recovery disk? If anyone finds a version of the NVIDIA Graphics driver that doesn't crash as much or doesn't at all we'd all love to hear. Thanks Adam.

53 Posts

December 19th, 2012 15:00

I wonder if NVIDIA has heard of this problem. Mostly likely NVIDIA may have. Unsure if they have said anything about this though.

23 Posts

you are welcome

53 Posts

I believe I might have it. When the time comes I will do what you have done. Thanks Adam.

23 Posts

maybe, however they usually post (for dell users that is) to check with dell website for recommended video drivers, so I am wondering probably the latest drivers released may not fully be compatible with the our system not just the video card.

23 Posts

What I was saying is to uninstall the present NVIDA driver from the laptop and install the stock driver that is found on the drivers and utilities disc, it is a black disc that comes together with the system, not the recovery discs.

53 Posts

December 19th, 2012 16:00

Yeah that's what I was told to do one time.

6 Posts

March 11th, 2013 21:00

Just to inform everyone in this topic: after having owned this laptop since Spring 2011, I can confirm to you that this is a hardware issue with the motherboard. I had for a long time assumed the issue was with Nvidia and their drivers and, despite doing complete clean installs of the drivers had not been able to prevent the Nvidia GPU to crash. I essentially gave up trying to fix it, and switched to only using my integrated card for everything (aka global settings set to integrated, always). The laptop will crash less frequently, but will still crash. It has started to occur with increasing frequency as of late on the integrated card, and that combined with the complete disregard of responsibility by Dell to fix the issue, has lead me to decide to never purchase a Dell product again. It is simply not worth purchasing a dell to save 10-15% on a computer to have it constantly have issues. I will also be doing several other things (such as filing complaints with certain consumer protection organizations) that I cannot directly state here, as my post will be deleted by a moderator.

Bottom line: the only way to fix this laptop is to continually have your warranty extended and have your motherboard every year or so.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2013 22:00

Indeed. My problems were resolved by hardware replacements even though my computer reported no real problems in the diagnostics.

3 Posts

June 18th, 2013 03:00

I bought this laptop just over a year ago and started experiencing these problems after a few months.

Updating drivers did not help much.

Using a cooling pad strangely did give me a few more minutes of play time (oddly enough, as overheating is never the problem and the laptop crashes while the GPU temperature is below 60 C), but obviously this did not solve the problem.

Dell customer support was very helpful and replaced my motherboard within 3 days of me calling them.

Replacing the motherboard gave me a few weeks of great gaming.

Haven't tried re-installing Windows as I haven't found anyone who claims it solves the problem, but when finally coming back to this problem I thought I'd look into the under-clocking option. Under-clocking my GPU core by 72Mhz has keep my laptop alive for the past few days and has not impacted gaming performance. I'm hoping it will last.

It seems all those who suspect this is a hardware issue are right, but I suppose Dell will keep ignoring that as they have been for the past few years.

Hope this helps someone, but I shall never buy another Dell product ever again nor shall I recommend Dell to anyone. Not after this.

7 Posts

September 20th, 2013 00:00

Hey All! I've got the same computer Dell l502x with the troublesome nvidia 540m graphics card. Many have said that it was a hardware problem but have you ever considered if it was your AC adapters problem? Try removing your charger when playing a game with the clock settings of the graphic card set at default. If it no longer crashes then it would mean that the high performance of the GPU isn't getting enough power from the AC adapter. In my own experience, the games i play no longer crashes but that would mean I need to get a new charger. This is why many have said that modding there bios works to lower the voltages for some people because the GPU isn't getting the power that it needs! 

7 Posts

September 20th, 2013 00:00

Hey Ppl its me again! Well I was testing my theory if it would work even when overclocked. So i clocked my graphics card to 740 940 and played minecraft. Surprisingly with my charger unplugged the game would not crash! So i was wondering if i could find a way to play with the charger plugged in. So i simply dimmed my monitor down to its lowest brightness and played minecraft with the clock setting on default or 672 900 and with my charger plugged in but my battery is also charging. Again no crashes! i played for a good 15 mins when in about 1 min it would crash! LOL im so happy! Hope this helps. Ive also undervolted my laptop to 2D 83 and 3D 85 so i don't really know if this solution works with regular voltages! But try it and see if it works. Good luck

3 Posts

September 20th, 2013 04:00

Have you tried over clocking with the charger plugged in?

I had also discovered what you did a few weeks back, but what I found is that when on battery power the GPU just underclocks itself and hence doesn't crash because it won't let itself get anywhere close to 672 Mhz, so are you sure you are hitting those overclocked frequencies while on battery?

I might try a few of those things myself next week if I get round to it and come back with the results. Currently just clocking my GPU down to 630 MHz as I haven't been bothered to run a whole bunch of tests yet.

23 Posts

September 20th, 2013 07:00

hello, i see you used minecraft as your test game, just note that minecraft is CPU intensive not GPU. Get a game like Far Cry 3 or Crysis to run your benchmarks. In my test when running minecraft only 50% of the GPU was in use.I see where you re coming from saying that the charger isn't supplying the right amount of power for the system to properly run; however I have undervolted my GPU but still can run my GPU on full clock rates. Let me throw a scenario for you when you first purchased your Laptop did it not work flawless without GPU issues.

No Events found!