Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2012 04:00

XPS 15 L502x Graphic & fan issues

Hey all,

Recently, I have encountered with numerous problems.

I have encountered green screen on my external monitor connected via HDMI.  Of course my system would freeze up and become non-responsive.  This happened twice within a week time period. And I have cooling pad under my laptop almost 24/7 when I am at home.  Second problem is that my fan is usually noisy compared to the first time I got this laptop about a year ago.

I have replaced motherboard, power module, USB 3.0 ports before due to CPU junction temperature issue (which affected my GPU performance).  Could this be an hardware issue? Or software?

Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 10th, 2012 11:00

bls0620

You may have seen these before, but if not here are a couple docs on fan noise and system overheating.

support.dell.com/.../document

Using the cooling pad is great

I certainly suggest running diagnostics.  Start the notebook tapping F12 and choose diagnostics. Allow the basic tests to complete and once finished choose no to memory diagnostics, choose yes to booting to the diagnostic partition, choose hardware tests, symptom tree, and then run the Fan test.  Please report back to me with the results.

Be sure to clean up the vents on the notebook.  

Please let me know if the system continues to hang.

TB

29 Posts

April 11th, 2012 04:00

Terry,

I will get back to you on the diagnostic results.  I need to find time to run the tests (thanks to various projects)

On the sidenote, my system froze up with green screen again.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 12th, 2012 16:00

Let me know once you have had time with the diagnostics.

TB

29 Posts

April 26th, 2012 04:00

I ran the diagnostics and nothing negative came up.

And this time, I got a purple screen.

No Events found!