jorgeo
1 Copper

XPS 15 L502x fan noise

Jump to solution

my laptop is 1 week old and the fan constantly switches on and off, its under no load just idling, its a very loud and annoying problem, when I spoke to Dell they claim to have no knowledge of the problem, how can this be when a search shows up plenty on the subject.

they sent a technician out with a new fan but did not bother to replace because it will not solve the problem.

they are sending a new replacement, but I think it will have the same problem.

its a shame because I love the XPS, Dell need to get there act together and solve the problem.

my laptop came with latest bios and still has fan problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bryfly48
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 L502x fan noise

Jump to solution
12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Apologies for the inconvenience. I will be glad to help you with the XPS laptop. Lets wait for the replacement computer and see if it will have the same fan noise. Feel free to add me as a friend by clicking my username. Send me the service tag thru private message so I can further investigate the issue.

Regards,

0 Kudos
bryfly48
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Highlighted
steve_jone
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

It requires a replacement.Please take it to the service provider.

0 Kudos
jorgeo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have recieved a replacement so far so good.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That's good news!

Feel free to post back here in the community for any concerns. Thank you

0 Kudos
s_elliott_h
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Sure glad jorgeo was lucky enough to have this issue arise during warranty coverage! Sounds like a stellar and most convenient fix!

Not everyone is so lucky. I find it odd that later in the very same week of my warranty's expiration, my fan became noisy making a strange sound (sounds like bearings are causing the noise) and I have had overheating problems ever since. I wish it would have acted up a few days earlier, or I wish that my fan wasn't rigged to fail after 367 days.

As far as PC's & PDA's, I've never purchased anything BUT a Dell in my entire life, next time, I think I'll be switching.

0 Kudos
studio1beats
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm so tired of this computer I do not know what to do! I'm having this same issue, Dell refuses to replace the unit, they keep trying to repair this machine, I believe this issue cannot be repaired because it's not the fan, it's some malfunction with this system. Dell has almost replaced every part on this computer, but they will not send me a new machine.   I believe that this is not fair and I have warranty. Someone please help....

0 Kudos
Edmundomtl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm an IT consultant with 15 years of experience, and have used almost all brands of laptops for personal and from company-provided and this Dell is a nice piece of equipment that is probably built with a bad batch of fans (from all the complaints I see on the web - no excuse, QA should be better) but I will never buy a Dell for personal use anymore because of the crappy consumer support model they have (here in Canada anyway).

I called their customer support for the fan noise and they asked me to describe the exact sound, they insisted that I was complaining about a fan speed noise and that my fan is constantly starting up because of programs loading the CPU/Mem but that was NOT my complaint. It was the crappy fan that sounds like it's gonna spin out of it's bearing on LOW speed.

The tech logged onto my computer remotely, installed some tools, asked me if I can make them hear the sound of the fan over the phone, asked me if I was hearing the fan noise when the speed of the fan was at Maximum but I kept mentioning that the fan noise, the cracking noise and the unbearable noise was when the fan ran on LOW speeds, and it disappeared when the fan went to a higher speed.

I'm a techie and I RARELY complain but when I know what I'm talking about and the support rep on the other end is just following a script without acknowledging that its their product has a bad part, I don't waste my time, I move on and take my business elsewhere.

I ended up letting this go because it was so time consuming and I did not think it was going anywhere. Now I live with this crappy fan cracking everyday and every time the fan makes the noise I reaffirm to myself that I'll never buy a Dell laptop again. I've had it for about 14months now and already thinking of selling it and buying another laptop because I can't stand the noise anymore.

0 Kudos
kansaj
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Actually, you will be surprised how long Dell didn't provide any support for the issue. I have the Dell XPS l502x, too and already a year I'm looking for solution, but most of the replies provided by Dell finih after leting people check theis systems. You willl probably get recommednadtion to use speedfan or other additional software - forget they will not work with DELL, too. My best choice is the recommendation to chnage to the newest BIOS. Believe me since A09 is doesn't matter. So if you do not like the noise will recommend just to change the machine, beacuse after a year you will see that the fan problem only escalate and DELL actually will not provide any support on the issue. It seems that  their are more than 500 issue on hte topic in the forum...

0 Kudos