Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2012 15:00

XPS 15 L521X ....Latest Problem

So I updated to Bios A09 hoping it would improve either my Wifi issues, my throttling issues, or my battery life issues.

After the A09 update, my nVidia Graphics chip is no longer recognized, and therefore have lost my dual external monitor support.  That may improve battery life I guess since the nVidia chip is now worthless and I'm forced to the Intel 4000.  Not the change I was hoping for.

Is it possible to revert the A09 bios back to A06?  Is this isolated to me, or was it just not QA'd at all by Dell?

I worked around the wifi issue with a USB dongle, and am living with the battery life issues by getting less work done on airplane flights.

Losing my multi-monitor support is killing my productivity.  Also losing my patience with this machine and Dell in general.

66 Posts

January 19th, 2013 14:00

It's completely different design. Nothing is comparable except the names.

23 Posts

January 21st, 2013 07:00

hello again

i want to ask is the below mSATA compatible with Del XPS 15 ?

www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_cp_pc_2

16 Posts

January 21st, 2013 09:00

It should work but I have never heard of that company so I dont know how reliable their drives are.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2013 15:00

It really works!

I have XPS 15 L512x system with Win 8. It was not possible to use internal wifi in range that exceeds few meters from AP. But now, after I followed your advice, wifi works perfectly.

At first I removed both drivers and restarted computer. Then I installed nVidia driver file Video_nVIDIA_W74_X15_A01_Setup-WXGWV_ZPE as you suggested. It was made for Windows 7 but works fine with Windows 8 also. Then I installed newest wifi driver downloaded from Dell support site. My laptop has different wifi hardware so I had to use different driver. Restarted computer and... VOILÀ - wifi problem is gone!!! THANK YOU!

Still wondering, if this is just driver problem as it seems to be, why Dell is not able to fix it during so long time?

16 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 16:00

That's great that it worked for you too. It looks like a driver issue for you and me, but I don't know if that's the case for other people. There may be a genuine issue with the hardware design itself for other customers. Even though its performing better after I performed those steps, WiFi is still not as good as my other laptops.

23 Posts

February 13th, 2013 00:00

hello guys,

please assist me, i have Dell XPS 15

i brought Crucial mSATA 256, and i need to swap it with 32GB mSATA,

how can i boot it from the new mSATA, and do installation on it

No Events found!