Highlighted
ernemir
1 Copper

XPS 15 VGA port

Hi

Is there a way to connect the XPS 14 or XPS 15 to a VGA monitor or projector? Because they only came with a HDMI port and DisplayPort.

Is there an adaptor in the box with the notebook or Dell sell an adaptor?

There are sites on the web that sell an adaptor HDMI TO VGA but many say that doesn't work.

Maybe there are options with an DisplayPort or USB adapter.

If Dell sell this adaptor i want to know wich one work with this notebook.

Another question is Why XPS 15 have USB 3.0 ports and XPS 14 have USB 2.0? Is there an error in the specifications?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
ieee488
5 Iridium

Re: XPS 15 VGA port

VGA is analog.

HDMI and DisplayPort are both digital.

Thus, you will need some sort of converter box.

0 Kudos
ernemir
1 Copper

That's right IEEE488

That is why the simple cables dosn't seem to work.

I found these accessories on the Dell website. One does not work in Studio 14Z

The other does not clarify the compatibility with other notebook models 

I chat with a Dell sales expert and told me to buy one of those adapter kit but i dont think that works.

And it makes me suspicious of the recommendations because they do not seem to know what would be the answer

0 Kudos
eaghead
1 Copper

You can get an adapter for about 20 dollars that goes from your mini display port to VGA. Dell does sell that adapter, although you can also get it from places like newegg.com or amazon.com. I agree that it is a bad idea to go from HDMI to VGA. Dell offered the display port to vga adapter when I bought my XPS 15. I would recommend finding a mini display port to VGA adapter.

0 Kudos
auhsor
1 Copper

I can confirm that using the Apple "Mini Displayport to VGA adapter" like this one  works for my wife's Dell XPS 15 (bought Dec 2010). I only tried on an acer projector. The Dell adapter was not available for me on the Australian store but I tried the Apple one that I had at work and I was surprised that it worked.

0 Kudos
jowunger
1 Copper

I bought today a "Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter" from "Moshi" and I am very disappointed. I paid 25$ and only get a max 1024x768.

I use win7 4bit, XPS L401X with 2GB dedicated nvidia gfrx card. I use Samsung 2233GW (max 1650x1050). Any idea?

Jow

0 Kudos
Klips57
1 Copper

I bought the "Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter" with my Dell XPS 15.  I, too, am very disappointed about the resolution being max of 1024x768.  I very much like using the laptop display in conjunction with an external monitor when I am at home.  This just doesn't work for me.

So, has anyone hooked up an external monitor to a Dell XPS 15 with a HDMI to DVI connector.  If so, what resolution can you get out of it?

0 Kudos
montben
1 Copper

I bought a generic minidisplay port to vga adapter from amazon, it works in 1680x1050 just fine (my native external monitor resolution)

0 Kudos
jowunger
1 Copper

lucky you

0 Kudos
Townsville70
1 Copper

I have a new Dell XPS 15, and I cannot get it to send asignal (or detect) a projector plugged through the Apple "mini displayport to VGA adapter". I often travel, and have to connect my laptop to other projectors. As they are all still connected to VGA, I cannot go through the HDMI or any other port.

Do I have to make changes to the resolution etc? I have 2 x Dell projectors at work, and cannot even connect to them!

Any solutions?

0 Kudos