Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2017 07:00

XPS 15 audio crackle with external speakers/headphones

Hi!

I have my 3rd XPS 15 9560 with 32 GB RAM and the 1TB SSD now, after I had to return two of them due to the black screen flickering issue, coil whining and some weird crackle sounds.

This 3rd one has still the black screen flickering and the crackle sounds, but since the flickering is discussed a lot in other forums/threads already I here want to find a solution for the audio crackle.

This audio crackle sound lasts for a second and always appears with plugged in external speakers/headphones and it sounds like when the audio is powered off and on. Seems like some energy saving mechanism that is causing this?

It appears mostly when I'm using a browser and the website contains some form of sound and then it always comes, when I switch to a "non-sound-containing" part of the website and then it appears ca. 5 sec after.

Also at the beginning when I start another sound or go on a website that contains sound.

Is there a fix?

If I can't solve the screen flicker I will anyway return this notebook too and then buy myself a Gigabyte, Razer Blade or Macbook Pro. But I'm still hoping something can be done.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 4th, 2017 09:00

Disable the WiFi (Killer or Intel) in the Device Manager and run these test =
* Test a locally stored music file
* If available, plug in a simple USB WiFi adapter and test networked music

If no noise, then the fault is latency stemming from the WiFi driver.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 4th, 2017 19:00

An external speaker has caused some strange noises on my XPS 9365.  My 9567 is not so fsr although I don't use external speakers much.

If the other suggestion does not help, you might try opening the voice recorder or the recording devices window from the speaker icon.  Leave it open to see if it helps.  My situation was a loud noise started from external speakers when music stopped.

3 Posts

May 5th, 2017 15:00

I also have the same crackle sound on my XPS 15 9560, I dont think it is not related to latency.

My theory: it is the Realtek ALC3266  soundcard that "boots up" every time you play a sound, hence the pop at beginning/end when playing a sound, or accessing apps using sound. If i disable the Realtek driver the pop disappears. I think there was a fix for this before: Just fire up the Realtek Audio Manager and uncheck the "power management" checkbox, but unfortunately it is not possible to start this app on windows 10 anymore, even if it is included.

rog.asus.com/.../t-59248.html

May 6th, 2017 02:00

I did this, the crackle still appears. So it's not the wifi drivers.

I think it has to do with some kind of power saving mechanism..

3 Posts

May 6th, 2017 07:00

So, DELL, do you guys have a suggested solution for this?

Like providing a Realtek Driver where you can turn off the Power Saving mode?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 6th, 2017 09:00

For the XPS 15-9560, the Realtek driver we offer is dated version 6.0.1.8059 A04 4/20/17. You should test the retail Realtek driver to see if it will install and if it offers the Power Saving mode.

3 Posts

May 6th, 2017 10:00

I have personally done that, it is installed right now, and the Realtek Manager app is included:

C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe

But is is not possible to start it on a XPS 15 9560 Windows 10 computer.

I assume it is blocked by DELL due to some firmware setting on the Realtek audio chipset.

Again, i would hope that DELL release a Realtek firmware where it is possible to configure the Power mode, but i would not hold my breath :)

No Events found!