wyresa
1 Copper

XPS 15 configuration

I have just purchased a xps15 with 1tb and 32gb ssd but I can't see it listed in storage.  How do I confirm its in here?  Is it possible to get this drive upgraded to 500Gb to house the entire os and does dell do it ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
beamermt79
4 Germanium

RE: XPS 15 configuration

Hello!  You won't be able to see the SSD because its a cache drive.  The computer uses Intel's Rapid Response or Rapid Storage system to cache frequently used files and programs onto the 32GB Cache drive for faster access.  In terms of upgrading it to a bigger drive, I've heard people doing it on the desktops that use it but i'm not entirely sure at the moment what type of drive it is (m.2, pcie, etc. ). 

Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Press [Windows] and [ r ] and press [msinfo32] and press [Enter]. Let us know the exact system model (there are a few XPS 15 models) aswell as the BIOS version and SMBIOS version/date. Let us know the OS, BIOS Mode and SecureBoot status.

The Drive configuration depends on the age of the XPS 15.

In the past a 1 TB HDD (Hard Drive) was used with a 32 GB SSD (Solid State) mSATA SSD. The Intel Rapid Response Technology SATA operation was used to setup the SSD as a cache drive.

Now there is actually a 1 TB SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive). This is a single drive which has a SSD cache with a 1 TB HDD for storage. The normal AHCI SATA operation can be used. Due to the lower cost of SSD and in particularly SSHD caching in the UEFI BIOS (which was problematic) is obsolete.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos

Hi WYRESA,

What is the exact system model? What is the current OS installed on the system?

Two ways to confirm the existence of the HDD/SSD:

1. Restart the system and press f2 on startup to enter BIOS - the HDD info would be listed under sata info on the main page.

2. In windows, open the disk management and the drive info will be listed there - http://bit.ly/1N1Y9WZ

As advised by the other two users - the SSD is used as a cache drive. Depending on the system model, a higher configuration SSD might be available.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos